Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 322

Dear Wiccans, Witches and Pagans--Paganism for the Politically Correct?

:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
In light of recent events, it has come to my attention exactly how 'fluff-bunny' the Neo-Pagan movement is becoming. I recently quit a group that accepted 'all' paths of paganism because I found out this 'all' was a quite blatant lie.

Anyone that did not support the extreme 'love/light/positivity ONLY' mantra was not welcomed within the group.

There seems to be an assumption that paganism as an umbrella term is ENTIRELY made up of this 'positive energy' that everyone seems so obsessed with--and this misinformation is only being passed on by the ignorance of the community itself.

Neo-paganism, as it stands, goes far out of its way to be 'politically correct'. This is likely due in great part to the Christian majority, and the evident need of the everyday Pagan to duck away from the 'devil worshiper' stereotype. As a result, the rising generation of young pagans are almost entirely Wiccan, and most know nothing about the religion at all.

Here's a list of grievances I've written toward the young community, in hopes to correct these unfounded gossips and to educate the population.

1. Wicca is not an ancient religion. I don't care who told you what, which High Priestess claims to be twelve thousand years old or what dream you had telling you otherwise. Wicca was established in the 1900's by a retired civil servant named Gerald Gardner, who claimed to have been taught magic by some ancient coven and blah blah blah, you get the picture. Whether his claims are true, I wouldn't know, I wasn't there. The fact is, today's Wicca is modern. Yes, it is based off of old Pagan practices, but it is a loose basing.

2. Nature is not all 'love and light and positive energy'. I havn't met a single pagan in my age group(aside from an Asatru I'm friendly with) that acknowledges this fact. Nature is more horrible than the most shocking horror film you've ever seen. Mothers kill their children. Brothers rape sisters. Mates consume their mates as food. It ain't always a pretty picture, never has been. Stop pretending. If you're going to claim to worship nature, there's more to it than pretty butterflies and fuzzy puppies. My generation needs to learn this.

3. The words 'Wiccan' and 'Witch' are not interchangeable. Wicca is a religion. A witch is a person who practices witchcraft. You can be a Wiccan witch(albeit a white witch), but you do not have to be. Being a Pagan also does not make you a witch. Same rule applies. A person of any religion that allows witchcraft can be a witch, or of no religion at all. I will not discuss Christian witches.

4. Witchcraft is a craft, not a religion. Saying that witchcraft is your religion is like saying plumbing is a religion. Yes, witchcraft can BE spiritual, as most witches believe in souls, spirits and et cetera(Again, however, you do not have to believe), but it is NOT a requirement.

5. The 'rule of three' and 'karma' are not universal. I meet plenty of non-Wiccan 'witches' who still claim that to be a witch, one must follow the rule of three, the Wiccan rede and et cetera. Someone's even gone so far as telling me I don't count as a Pagan if I don't follow it. That's a complete and utter crock of bullock. There is no one recognized concept of Paganism aside from the fact that no paths are Christian, Jewish nor Islamic. Stop trying to Wiccanize everything.

6. Like it or not, black magic still counts as witchcraft. I literally met someone who told me that only white magic was considered witchcraft, and then couldn't tell me what black magic was considered. Black witches exist. I'm one of them. I'm not trying to be 'cool'. Black magic simply calls to me more than white magic does. Get over it. Hell, the most famous witches in history were at least grey; a great example is the Greek Circe. 'White' witchcraft didn't even exist until after witchcraft was legalized, and that was incredibly recently.

7. The 'connected God and Goddess' idea is not universal. I dare you to go find Thor and tell him that he's the same being as Cupid. Go ahead. I dare you.

8. 'Embracing human nature' does not only mean the positive aspects. So, so many of our generation believe that when they embrace their own nature, that only refers to happiness, love, oneness with nature, blah blah blah. They fail to realize that humans, as products of nature, are also cruel, manipulative and downright evil at times. If you want to indulge yourself, go hunting armed only with a pocketknife and make like the wolves you seem to adore so much.

9. Paganism is not all about positivity. If your particular path bans you from negative magic, or if it's simply against your morals to do it, then fine, good for you! But paganism as a whole is not like that. In fact, traditional Paganism was bloody, morbid and downright horrible. If Paganism was all light and love, would we have gods of war like Aries? Gods of death like Hades? Mischief, like Loki? Would our ancestors have practiced brutal human sacrifices? Take this into account next time you're projecting your reality onto someone else.

Please, people. I urge you. Stop going out of your way to be 'politically correct' for the sake of pleasing the population. If you genuinely believe in doing no harm, that's on you. But learn until you know, don't lie about what you know, and stop propagating ignorance and intolerance.

And somehow, it seems I'm the only one within my age group who's noticed any of this, much less has a problem with it. Hasn't anyone else noticed this mountain of issues? Anyone have a beef with them?

Or, conversely, does anyone have a counter argument?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhotelchelseanights:
HotelChelseaNights Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Mow my lawn... Don't mow my Lawn... Mow my Lawn...
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Do it. Do it NOW.
:iconhotelchelseanights:
HotelChelseaNights Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
You powers are great, I Will do your bidding.
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Good girl.
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Wicca is like Twillight vampires:P
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
That was possibly the best comparison I've ever heard.
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Sweet!:iconmyheartplz:
:icongreenhunter:
GreenHunter Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh no, you aren't the only one who's noticed this. It always got me that for nature based religions, it always surprised me how people tend to ignore how harsh and brutal the natural world can be, but yet there is still a beauty to be found in it and if anything it inspires a different kind of respect for the power in the natural world, we tend to forget the power it holds now. But then I'm a Heathen and we tend not to be quite so fluffy, at least in my experience anyway. This band, while not pagans themselves, they use Norse mythology quite a lot in their lyrics, but more thoughtful and subtle than a lot of other bands, but this video reminded me of the great power in nature, even although waterfalls and rivers don't seem it, when you get battered around in one you will appreciate they do! [link] Sorry if you don't like the music but I've loved them for so many years and for good reason.

Black and white, evil and good. The way I see it, while I don't like evil, to me it is almost necessary. If there were no evil, then how would we define good? Would the act of doing good loose it's value and meaning, would only the highest of good become worthy and lesser good become the new evil? See where I am going? I'm not advocating it, but it helps bring perspective to things, or as I saw written, it is only in darkness that you see the stars.

As for deities that are considered to be bad, evil or negative, while some people will hate me for this opinion, in some ways there are some that reflect what humanity is like. Take Loki for example, he is often the mischief maker who either by design or by accident brings trouble upon himself and/or the other gods and goddesses and somehow makes things come right, but as you see in the death of Balder, Loki's capture and Ragnarok, you could say that it stemmed from his jealousy of Balder's gift from his mother to be harmed by nothing and then revenge against the gods for his imprisonment. Jealousy and the desire for revenge are all emotions we have felt or will feel, and in those myths you see how destructive they can be at their worst. While destruction is not always bad, and sometimes destruction is necessary to create the new, it's not hard to see that this does rather reflect one aspect of what we can be like.

I could go on.
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Go ahead :p I'm flattered you'd spend so much effort on my thread.
:icongreenhunter:
GreenHunter Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well I have to say I appreciate that the Norse deities are not these "perfect" figures. I know some will say that is just how they are but I can't help think that by this there is something to be learned about how we are ourselves, warts and all, ether from them or from the myths and what happens in each one.

The thing is it is a common thing to have such evil figures with such negative traits throughout many cultures. I sometimes wonder if by making caricatures out of these and presenting them as deities, monsters or whatever, that it was maybe a primitive way for humanity to hide the fact that in the end we have the potential to be the source of the greatest evils and all the evil that has happened in history has been caused by mankind against each other. We don't like to face up to that fact so we make baddies, monsters and boogie men, maybe as a way of dehumanizing the evil humans do to each other.
Very valid point, deary.

And the Greek/Roman deities are the same way ;)
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Gonna keep this simple, but I'm glad someone knows the facts about all of this.
I knew I could count on you, Penhuin.
:iconpenguinsnuggleplz: Anytime dearie.
Awww! I got penguin love!
Hell yeah!
:iconmosobot64:
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student General Artist
I actually left Wicca and followed a specific pantheon due to the restrictiveness of it all. I still identify on being on the light side of things, though, but it's more a personal choice than anything else. I've seen the dark and grey side of things though. It ain't all bad.
Glad you can agree to that.
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student General Artist
Yeah. I think one of the biggest hurdles to pagan religions actually being truly practiced in an authentic manner is the legal and financial problems associated with animal sacrifice in the modern era.

....Which New Age people tend to gloss over.
I generally don't do animal sacrifice unless completely necessary, but that's just me. I know religions like Santeria require them often, and they should have the right to do it, as long as the animal's not put through too much pain.
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student General Artist
I don't do that at all. Mostly I just offer milk and honey. :P

But yeah, if you need to do animal sacrifice, keep it clean, I can agree with that.
Certainly :)
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
yes.

wicca has gone trough namechange in history.

people who take it upon themselves and declare everything wiccan will not change the true aspect of this thing.

world is full of crazies. and internet collects most of them. many people are just rping harry potter. or trying to escape worldly matters.

witchcraft has a miles wide set of meanings, ranging from heathen to healer. recently it got popularly adhered to woman loving women (not necessarily lesbian) who are into newage stuff.

paganizm is about believing into multiple gods of old religions. its not directly connected to real magic.

wikipedia isnt always true.
There's no set thing paganism is about, love. The only thing all pagans have in common is that none of us are Jewish, Christian or Muslim.

You're probably thinking specifically of 'new age' paganism.
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
uhm.. thats what i said. belief into old gods = not being Muslim, Christian or Jewish.

dont know about new age paganism. all of the paganists i met were doing the rituals that passed down from their relatives.
Yes, but people who worship no gods but their ancestors still count as pagan, people who believe in only animism(everything has a spirit) are considered pagan, and if you want to get technical, deists, pantheists and theists are also considered pagan :)
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
I dont know where you get these but shamanism or animism are not counted as pagan. There are animists in pagan and shaman cultures both but you cant categorize it in under either one of them. I personally never counted dead veneration as paganism either. Otherwise most of the Christian cults that value saints and stuff would be counted paganist wouldnt they? Other veneration cultures had gods on their own, maybe thats why they could be counted paganist.
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Uh, yes they are, honey. Look, here's the dictionary definition.

[link]

While it does usually mean that someone worships old gods, the most widely used definition is any set of beliefs that's not strictly Christian, Jewish or Muslim. Therefore, animistic cultures(such as Shinto, Native American Spiritualism...)and ancestor worship(Ancient Chinese belief systems seem to be a good example of this) all count as pagan as well.
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
one of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion, as the ancient Romans and Greeks. Synonyms: polytheist.

the first defintion of paganism is that they worship to more than one god.

there is no gods in shamanism. its not a religion either,. maybe some pagan religions might fall under the category of shamanism or shamanic cultures also had a paganist religion next to it, but that doesnt put shamanism under the title of paganism as a whole. that would be a very absurd definition.

"Ethnologists often avoid the term "pagan," with its uncertain and varied meanings, in referring to traditional or historic faiths, preferring more precise categories such as polytheism, shamanism, pantheism, or animism."

"Shamanism isn't a religion, it's a spiritual methodology. Shamanic practices are those which involve communication with spirits. There are types of shamanism in almost every culture and religion and can be vastly different depending on the pervasive belief in spirits, though often the methods are comparable. Native American beliefs often have some shamanic elements, british-style hedgewitchery is considered another form of shamanism, the original use of the word "shaman" comes from Mongolia where it describes their spiritual practices..."

i couldnt see any reference to shamaisn or animism in that definition that you used as reference so i dont understand why you think that they are.

if you are considering every culture that is not Muslim or Christian or Jewish as paganist than that is pretty weak. historian usually differ these.

animism is not a religion as itself. there are animistic elements in shamanism or shintu or other religions but that doesnt make the whole culture animistic. animism is just a belief or a way to act. it doesnt cover a whole religion.

i think you are thinking shamanism as in the neo-paganism yourself. an old shamanist tribe in siberia had a totally different religious cultural pattern than a greek city.
:iconsmoottie:
Smoottie Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
In my opinion, the law about not harming anyone is a fine thought and idea, but impossible to actually live up to in our society... But yeah, I pretty much agree with your points. :)
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
That's one of the reasons why I dislike it; it's impractical as hell.

And thank you.
True. It would be nice if the world just worked out like that, but no matter what you do, there'll always be someone who gets offended somehow...
I think people must try very hard to get offended :lol:
And I'm sure a lot of them do =P
:lol: I remember a black school principle got his panties in a knot because when, at a football game, the enemy audience held up a sign that read 'U mad, bro?', and he thought it was a racial slur.
Oh my... Haha!
Better yet, when Christians get offended by just meeting someone of another religion :lol:
(1 Reply)
:iconfatedart:
fatedart Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've noticed this and ALL of it are things I've said or thought before. :D It's why I generally have nothing to do with the Neo-Pagan community.

It's so frustrating, so I wanted to chime in and let you know that you're not the only one. Great post. :)
:hug: Thank you.
:iconblanktip:
blanktip Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Sounds troubling.
:iconmira-the-lunatic:
Mira-The-Lunatic Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
I think you would consider me a white witch, though perhaps more of a gray. Not really sure, XD'
I really like that you mentioned "Black magic simply calls to me more than white magic does." To me that really puts the backing to everything you had to say.

I know Nature is not all pretty butterflies and prancing fawns, glittering sunrays and babbling brooks. There are droughts, cold winters with no food, the struggle to survive and the food chain, and so much more for both sides of the picture and everything inbetween. I'm not 'well-read' or knowledgable in any know-how of black magic or white magic, though i suppose the morals i have and the practices that have called to me and i have followed set their own boundaries within parts of both realms to some extent.

It really intrigued me when you showed me the Witch's Knot, i find it interesting how similar it is to the symbol i drew up to represent myself without having any knowledge of the Witch's Knot.
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
I think I'd consider you grey, yeah. I'm honestly more 'dark grey' than black, because I do help sometimes. Just not often.

And yes. I'm going to get a Witch's Knot charm for you one of these days ;w; a real pretty one.
:iconsemi-surreal:
semi-surreal Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Dark grey, you say...? I would label you as more of a "dark-hued rainbow".
Hey, what was pretty clever of me...if you ever use that as a signature quote, I'd except some royalties, OK?
Gotcha xD
Mira-The-Lunatic Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
;-; Mitsu, you don't have to do that, but I appreciate the thought.

When you mentioned people going out and hunting with just a pocket knife, it made me think a lot. I can't really put my thoughts into words very well, but i can try! xD
Most people, i would say, don't like thinking about that side of nature. And for me, i don't see it as something dark or gloomy.
The wolf must hunt for his food, and he must live off of the death of other creatures just as a horse must live off of the plant life around them.
I guess for me, it's alot to do with the intention of everything. I would not want to kill someone--animal, human, plant or otherwise--with malice or anger. Self-defence or to protect someone, sure.

I do not like animal cruelty, negligence, or otherwise. It's sad whether it is done to a child or an adult, to a horse or a tree or simply the land itself. I know that at some point in time, everyone and everything must die at some point, just as they suddenly came into existence, they must leave it to allow others to come into the picture.

...no. I'm off-topic and my words are jumbled, gomen, xD''' I tried, thoughhhh~
:icondizzyplz: MIRA NOT GOOD WITH WRITING THIS KIND OF STUFF LIKE THIIISSSSS
I could, however, note you a story that i wrote for Mythological Lens class. I think it should explain to you a lot of how i relate to the world around me.

The assignment was that we had to write a story of a personal experience we had--a true story, obviously--that changed us in some way and/or allowed us to realize something, a moment in life that was very significant to us.

I'll note it to you .w.
You are the epitome of ADD, woman xD
Mira-The-Lunatic Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
All that wonderful text to chew on...
...and THAT is what you pull out of it?
:iconheaddeskplz:
Love me :'D
Mira-The-Lunatic Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
:iconwhutplz:FEED ME POPCORN.
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Oh my god yes, you're online. Did you see the callout thread? You're listed :iconteheplz:
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: