Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 322

Dear Wiccans, Witches and Pagans--Paganism for the Politically Correct?

:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
In light of recent events, it has come to my attention exactly how 'fluff-bunny' the Neo-Pagan movement is becoming. I recently quit a group that accepted 'all' paths of paganism because I found out this 'all' was a quite blatant lie.

Anyone that did not support the extreme 'love/light/positivity ONLY' mantra was not welcomed within the group.

There seems to be an assumption that paganism as an umbrella term is ENTIRELY made up of this 'positive energy' that everyone seems so obsessed with--and this misinformation is only being passed on by the ignorance of the community itself.

Neo-paganism, as it stands, goes far out of its way to be 'politically correct'. This is likely due in great part to the Christian majority, and the evident need of the everyday Pagan to duck away from the 'devil worshiper' stereotype. As a result, the rising generation of young pagans are almost entirely Wiccan, and most know nothing about the religion at all.

Here's a list of grievances I've written toward the young community, in hopes to correct these unfounded gossips and to educate the population.

1. Wicca is not an ancient religion. I don't care who told you what, which High Priestess claims to be twelve thousand years old or what dream you had telling you otherwise. Wicca was established in the 1900's by a retired civil servant named Gerald Gardner, who claimed to have been taught magic by some ancient coven and blah blah blah, you get the picture. Whether his claims are true, I wouldn't know, I wasn't there. The fact is, today's Wicca is modern. Yes, it is based off of old Pagan practices, but it is a loose basing.

2. Nature is not all 'love and light and positive energy'. I havn't met a single pagan in my age group(aside from an Asatru I'm friendly with) that acknowledges this fact. Nature is more horrible than the most shocking horror film you've ever seen. Mothers kill their children. Brothers rape sisters. Mates consume their mates as food. It ain't always a pretty picture, never has been. Stop pretending. If you're going to claim to worship nature, there's more to it than pretty butterflies and fuzzy puppies. My generation needs to learn this.

3. The words 'Wiccan' and 'Witch' are not interchangeable. Wicca is a religion. A witch is a person who practices witchcraft. You can be a Wiccan witch(albeit a white witch), but you do not have to be. Being a Pagan also does not make you a witch. Same rule applies. A person of any religion that allows witchcraft can be a witch, or of no religion at all. I will not discuss Christian witches.

4. Witchcraft is a craft, not a religion. Saying that witchcraft is your religion is like saying plumbing is a religion. Yes, witchcraft can BE spiritual, as most witches believe in souls, spirits and et cetera(Again, however, you do not have to believe), but it is NOT a requirement.

5. The 'rule of three' and 'karma' are not universal. I meet plenty of non-Wiccan 'witches' who still claim that to be a witch, one must follow the rule of three, the Wiccan rede and et cetera. Someone's even gone so far as telling me I don't count as a Pagan if I don't follow it. That's a complete and utter crock of bullock. There is no one recognized concept of Paganism aside from the fact that no paths are Christian, Jewish nor Islamic. Stop trying to Wiccanize everything.

6. Like it or not, black magic still counts as witchcraft. I literally met someone who told me that only white magic was considered witchcraft, and then couldn't tell me what black magic was considered. Black witches exist. I'm one of them. I'm not trying to be 'cool'. Black magic simply calls to me more than white magic does. Get over it. Hell, the most famous witches in history were at least grey; a great example is the Greek Circe. 'White' witchcraft didn't even exist until after witchcraft was legalized, and that was incredibly recently.

7. The 'connected God and Goddess' idea is not universal. I dare you to go find Thor and tell him that he's the same being as Cupid. Go ahead. I dare you.

8. 'Embracing human nature' does not only mean the positive aspects. So, so many of our generation believe that when they embrace their own nature, that only refers to happiness, love, oneness with nature, blah blah blah. They fail to realize that humans, as products of nature, are also cruel, manipulative and downright evil at times. If you want to indulge yourself, go hunting armed only with a pocketknife and make like the wolves you seem to adore so much.

9. Paganism is not all about positivity. If your particular path bans you from negative magic, or if it's simply against your morals to do it, then fine, good for you! But paganism as a whole is not like that. In fact, traditional Paganism was bloody, morbid and downright horrible. If Paganism was all light and love, would we have gods of war like Aries? Gods of death like Hades? Mischief, like Loki? Would our ancestors have practiced brutal human sacrifices? Take this into account next time you're projecting your reality onto someone else.

Please, people. I urge you. Stop going out of your way to be 'politically correct' for the sake of pleasing the population. If you genuinely believe in doing no harm, that's on you. But learn until you know, don't lie about what you know, and stop propagating ignorance and intolerance.

And somehow, it seems I'm the only one within my age group who's noticed any of this, much less has a problem with it. Hasn't anyone else noticed this mountain of issues? Anyone have a beef with them?

Or, conversely, does anyone have a counter argument?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhotelchelseanights:
HotelChelseaNights Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Mow my lawn... Don't mow my Lawn... Mow my Lawn...
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Do it. Do it NOW.
:iconhotelchelseanights:
HotelChelseaNights Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
You powers are great, I Will do your bidding.
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Good girl.
:iconvomitbear:
VomitBear Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Wicca is like Twillight vampires:P
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
That was possibly the best comparison I've ever heard.
:iconvomitbear:
VomitBear Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Sweet!:iconmyheartplz:
:icongreenhunter:
GreenHunter Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh no, you aren't the only one who's noticed this. It always got me that for nature based religions, it always surprised me how people tend to ignore how harsh and brutal the natural world can be, but yet there is still a beauty to be found in it and if anything it inspires a different kind of respect for the power in the natural world, we tend to forget the power it holds now. But then I'm a Heathen and we tend not to be quite so fluffy, at least in my experience anyway. This band, while not pagans themselves, they use Norse mythology quite a lot in their lyrics, but more thoughtful and subtle than a lot of other bands, but this video reminded me of the great power in nature, even although waterfalls and rivers don't seem it, when you get battered around in one you will appreciate they do! [link] Sorry if you don't like the music but I've loved them for so many years and for good reason.

Black and white, evil and good. The way I see it, while I don't like evil, to me it is almost necessary. If there were no evil, then how would we define good? Would the act of doing good loose it's value and meaning, would only the highest of good become worthy and lesser good become the new evil? See where I am going? I'm not advocating it, but it helps bring perspective to things, or as I saw written, it is only in darkness that you see the stars.

As for deities that are considered to be bad, evil or negative, while some people will hate me for this opinion, in some ways there are some that reflect what humanity is like. Take Loki for example, he is often the mischief maker who either by design or by accident brings trouble upon himself and/or the other gods and goddesses and somehow makes things come right, but as you see in the death of Balder, Loki's capture and Ragnarok, you could say that it stemmed from his jealousy of Balder's gift from his mother to be harmed by nothing and then revenge against the gods for his imprisonment. Jealousy and the desire for revenge are all emotions we have felt or will feel, and in those myths you see how destructive they can be at their worst. While destruction is not always bad, and sometimes destruction is necessary to create the new, it's not hard to see that this does rather reflect one aspect of what we can be like.

I could go on.
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Go ahead :p I'm flattered you'd spend so much effort on my thread.
:icongreenhunter:
GreenHunter Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well I have to say I appreciate that the Norse deities are not these "perfect" figures. I know some will say that is just how they are but I can't help think that by this there is something to be learned about how we are ourselves, warts and all, ether from them or from the myths and what happens in each one.

The thing is it is a common thing to have such evil figures with such negative traits throughout many cultures. I sometimes wonder if by making caricatures out of these and presenting them as deities, monsters or whatever, that it was maybe a primitive way for humanity to hide the fact that in the end we have the potential to be the source of the greatest evils and all the evil that has happened in history has been caused by mankind against each other. We don't like to face up to that fact so we make baddies, monsters and boogie men, maybe as a way of dehumanizing the evil humans do to each other.
Add a Comment: