One thing that I never understood about God...

If there is one God, why dose he/she need to be gendered?
Comments55
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It's a simplification, really. God doesn't have a body so how to tell what gender He is?
Beats me. Maybe thats why there's so many sexist people in the middle east of Asia?
God is neither he or she. Remember, when Mosses asked Him...Who art thou? God says, "I am that I Am. I am the God of Abraham, Jacob and Isaac. I am the Beginning and the Ending, I Am the Alpha and the Omega.
... And American.
Personally I believe there are two sides of God, a male and female, but in actual "gender" God is genderless as God would not reproduce and not need a gender.
I think its a personal preference though. Everyone has their own beliefs and no two are exactly alike.
Ancient scripts and whatnot assign a gender to God to make it easier to understand from a human perspective. It's relatable. I dunno, thats just the first thing I thought of.
That is most likely correct. But God has no body or form , being a spiritual being. Can you assign gender to a puff of smoke or an ocean breeze? Since God is considered eternal He doesn't need to reproduce so needs no gender. He just created genders in order to make procreating more interesting and fun.
True. Giving God a gender is just a cultural thing. No one will really argue that God is a male or female, because it's an irrelevant point.
Does god really have a gender?....I think that would make it less godlike and more humanlike in my view O.o....although god often is portrayed as a man....oh well...maybe it was because men were seen as more important in those ancient times? :shrug:
Because men are gods.
Simple. Because the Bible was written by men in a time when women were little more than property. To depict the ultimate authority figure as female would have been insulting. Also, you can consider God male because he fucked Mary to make Jesus. If a female God fucked a mortal woman and made a baby, that would just sent all kinds of mixed messages to homophobic Christians.
Thank you, I think you have reached your union quota for mud throwing. :)
The bible clearly implies the Christian god at least is male. This is because Adam was created "in his image": Eve to just make him company.
When it says in His image it did not mean gender or looking like God as God has no form being a spiritual being.
The way it's been interpreted for thousands of years is that it means he was what we would consider male.
No, I'm afraid you are wrong. Otherwise why would He be called Mother Nature? But I do agree that all the paintings and such depicting God has him shown as a man with a long flowing beard. But they show Greek gods like Zeus that way too. And yet they had female gods like Hera. So I think God is not gender specific.
He is not called Mother Nature in the bible. We're talking of the Christian god here.
The centrality was left in the masculine principle (of ruling) after splitting away femininity (of power), and objectifying the one God (after all, a person) would be bad practice.
That presumes the three-in-one notion of the Trinity is even correct or held by everyone who considers themselves to be Christian...
Were you replying to Horus' post?
I was replying to the OP and trying to note that not everyone holds to the system put forth.
It may or may not be actually correct, but like it or not it's the official position of the overwhelming majority of Christianity. Yes, I'm sure you can dig up a few who don't. That means nothing.