Closed to new replies
November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 408

The Question on Abortion

:iconoperia:
Operia Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
On the news tonight, there was a report about an Irish woman who died during a miscarriage after her doctors refused to abort her pregnancy.
For more information on it, read here

The question about abortion isn't one in black & white; there are many shades of grey in the middle. Although there are some good arguments against abortion, there are also many good arguments for it.

Most of the arguments against it seem to focus on the welfare of the foetus. They say that every child, born or not, is a gift and a blessing, and should be respected. While I respect that, technically, a foetus is alive, I believe the needs of the mother should also be taken into consideration.

Think about it; the woman will have to look after the kid for at least eighteen years, sometimes without any support from family and/or partners.

However, that's just the social aspect. What about when they go wrong? For example, miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies (when the egg is fertilised outside the womb). These could potentially kill the woman...and if the woman dies, the foetus is going to die as well.

So, now that I've said my main points, what are your opinions on the matter? Be prepared to back up your ideas, because I have a tendency to debate.

Devious Comments

:iconkovowolf:
KovoWolf Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional General Artist
:lock: by OP
:iconmachine-intellectual:
Machine-Intellectual Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I think that if a women wants an abortion, she has every right to get an abortion. Of course she should be able to accept the shame that comes with it from some people in society.
Operia Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Indeed
Hidden by Commenter
:iconstaple-salad:
staple-salad Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
If she'd had the abortion and wasn't forced to carry a dying/dead fetus, it would have increased her chances of NOT dying.
Hidden by Commenter
:iconstaple-salad:
staple-salad Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
But by not removing the dying fetus they all but ensured she'd died. If they had removed it, she would have had a greater chance of survival. You said that if she'd had the abortion it would have increased her chance of dying, which is entirely untrue.
What do mean, serves no practical purpose? Please explain.
Hidden by Commenter
Why do you think it serves no practical purpose? That was more of what I was getting at.
Add a Comment: