Closed to new replies
November 14, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 110

Am I going to Hell?

:iconbetweenskill:
BetweenSkill Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student Writer
I've been told constantly that I am going to burn in hell because I do not believe that there is a God, let alone a one that looks exactly like us and lives in the clouds. I don't give much credit to these statements but they are starting to wear me down. Why should I believe? Why should I devote my life to Jesus Christ? And why should it be the Christian faith? What makes it the "right faith" to have instead of the hundreds of other religions on Earth? Should I go to Hell just because I am thinking for myself and making a decision off of evidence I see rather than faith alone? And why is a book that is a collection of writings made by countless men thousands of years ago, then translated by other men into languages and interpreted different ways, be my authority on how to live my life?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just curious to see what you intelligent folks have to say :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlifeasanartist:
LifeAsAnArtist Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Who's to say there is a hell? Maybe this is hell, maybe we've already been through hell. Who are we to assume anything really.
Anyone tell's you 'you're going to hell' really has no idea what they are talking about. It's fine to have values, morals and guidelines to follow... but I don't believe the universe is that black and white.
:iconrockygems:
RockyGems Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student General Artist
There's no such thing as hell. That was invented to scare people out of their money.
:iconhotelchelseanights:
HotelChelseaNights Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
I live in the clouds, there's a bunch of us up here. Don't believe everything you here. But I am here in the clouds.
Really it sounds like your putting yourself through hell right now, why go through it twice, be you.
:iconsummitstars:
summitstars Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I am a very dedicated Christian, but when it comes to the afterlife my beliefs don't exactly match up to the standard heaven/hell belief. I'll answer your question by telling you what I think happens when we all die, Christian or not.
I don't think it matters what religion we choose, as long as we are happy with it. I actually don't even believe in hell. I think that when someone is a bad person and they do terrible things and spew out negativity all the time, then they create their own hell here on earth and that's the end of it. They waste the only life they will have in this beautiful world in their own hell. I believe that when it comes to heaven, no matter who we are, it will be whatever we want it to be, as long as we lead a good life.
Don't let anyone tell you what to believe. That is for you and you alone to decide. Do what makes you happy, because in the end, true faith isn't forced. It's already inside of you and you just have to find it.
:iconsagethethird:
sagethethird Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
1.) Why should I believe?

This is entirely your decision, no-one is stopping you. There is literally no reason to believe and thus no consequences good or bad from doing so, but there is countless (I mean libraries full) books, scholarly journals, scientific papers, all peer reviewed and stamped with a mark of approval by people who've devoted their lives, gone to school, payed thousands in school loans, to proving themselves and their peers wrong and in the process proving what is right. distilled truth, premium truth, truth handed to you on a silver platter with a side of tiramisu.

2.) Why should I devote my life to Jesus Christ?

Again this is entirely your decision, the consequences of which are equally non-existent. But one begs the question why devote your life to not just anyone but anything? even science? Sartres says existence precedes essence, and that we cant be sure who we are if anyone until we die, or are a significant portion of are way through our lives.
but there it is glaring you right in the face. You exist. So what does one do with this dilemma? Naturally pick something and stick with it. You can in fact devote your life to jesus, but you can equally as well devote your life to science or art or science and art and be endowed with not only the knowledge of the aforementioned highly trained and devoted truth distillers but the status of helping distill this truth yourself.

3.) And why should it be the Christian faith? What makes it the "right faith" to have instead of the hundreds of other religions on Earth?

This is an easier question to answer because it catches you acknowledging that other religions do exist. The answer is that it's really like asking "why should my favorite color be the color blue?" it has no other meaning other than that. When thinking on the other hand "why science?" there again is countless (libraries full) of evidence to give you plenty of reason "why", and plenty of reason "why" no-one is still using 17th century science as well, because science is always seeking to disprove itself, and as such is always showing why "not" "This" particular part of science, and why a particular part of science is more "correct" it fixes itself.

tl;dr - because science seeks to correct itself when religion seeks only to play the game "this is my favorite way to represent reality so everyone has to have this favorite way to represent reality"

4.)Should I go to Hell just because I am thinking for myself and making a decision off of evidence I see rather than faith alone?

I'm sure you've been reading this and have long since discovered where I am going with this. Hell does not exist, there are thousands of years of thinkers, philosophers, scientists, physicists, artists and regular folks stretching farther back perhaps than even the pre-socratics that have doubted the existence of a deity much less a heaven or a hell.

Thousands of people like you have thought for themselves and lived entirely happy and fruitful lives, and they never even multiplied ;)

5.)And why is a book that is a collection of writings made by countless men thousands of years ago, then translated by other men into languages and interpreted different ways, be my authority on how to live my life?

It's not. Sir you've just questioned your way out of religion. the above question when taken as a statement rather than a question is the simple reason why so many are atheist.

But really, don't stop there. question everything, doubt everything, distill truth.
:iconelyssea:
Elyssea Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
You're not going to burn in Hell just because a religion tells you so. I'm technically a Catholic but I like to practice the Buddhist philosophy according to my religion because of that, "I'll burn in Hell."
:iconcandydechocolate:
CandyDeChocolate Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I'm catholic but I still believe that there's no religion that guarantees you you'll go to heaven. I don't believe either that just because people don't believe in God they are unable to go to heaven. You don't have to believe in a certain God. I think that as long as you are nice with people and do good acts, even if you don't believe in God and/or you don't have a religion, you can still go to heaven because you followed what being a good human is and your conscience is clean. I hope I helped you :)
:icontempusnexus:
TempusNexus Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Eh. If you are, so what? Personally, I've considered this myself. The result I came up with is that I shouldn't put any store by it. Maybe we're going to burn, or maybe Hell doesn't exist. Either way, I can't know for certain. It's not high on my priorities.

Death is an intangible and unknowable part of our future, but life is not. It's here. The actions we take and the way we interact with our world is real. That's what we should believe in. Believe in your own beliefs, and trust yourself to be right. Because quite honestly, it isn't the final fate that matters. It's what we do until then that we should care about.
:iconchocolategrr:
chocolategrr Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Depending whether there is there is a heaven or not. That's just a way christian's trying to get get others to get more faith in God. In my opinion.
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
1. you don't need to believe if you don't want to.
2. you don't need to.
3. it doesn't need to be christian faith.
4. there is no completely right faith or completely wrong faith. every faith is true and beautiful to certain degree.
5. no, you will not go to hell simply because of that reason.
6. don't need to make the bible as your authority if you don't want to. there are many other scriptures out there. pick the one which you thing makes sense and brings you (and other people) to happiness, and follow it.
Add a Comment: