Closed to new replies
November 14, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 292

Is it amoral to lie about religion?

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Specifically, is it amoral (or even anti-moral) to claim a belief system in order to make people happy?

Naturally the specific example I'm thinking of is all my relatives being like DO YOU PRAY and me being like UH SURE OF COURSE.

I'm curious as to your thoughts, both from the perspective of the individual and from an objective view or the view of an active practitioner of the religion.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhotelchelseanights:
HotelChelseaNights Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
No, just self defeating.
:iconkightster:
Kightster Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Isn't that the point of religion? Making people feel better about themselves and their inevitable demise?
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Considering that I was raised with a belief system that says the best possible thing that can happen to you is never be reborn again...nah.
Well that's pretty counter productive for a religion to teach :P
I think it's more counterproductive to tell people that if they behave good for one lifetime, they get to spend eternity having morally appropriate parties. :shrug:
And yet millions flog towards it every year :/
That's their problem.
Indeed
:iconruelariat:
ruelariat Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hmm, this is an interesting question because I'm in pretty much the same position with my family. If they knew of my Atheism I think I'd be smited on the spot. However, I don't believe in morals in the sense that most people do. In my mind, it's more of a survival/this-makes-me-happy-so-it-must-be-good kinda thing; my idea of morals sort of goes back to the primitive, savage human (or so I've been told) before government and religion was invented (please pardon me if I insult anyone by saying this; this is not my intention). Hopefully I've explained that enough. So in my mind, I'm not being amoral or immoral or anything when I lie about my beliefs; I'm surviving so I'm fine with lying for the time being.
:iconkimihro:
Kimihro Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If it saves you from anything negative, then yes. A question of religion that is likely to incite negative backlash if you don't give the answer they want is the beginning of a witch hunt.
Add a Comment: