What "good" is good enough for God

I believe all a person needs to do to get into heaven is be good and do good things what do you think
Comments171
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Westbro Baptist Church will tell you.
Its all about what you believe bro. If thats what you think then go for it and hope thats the truth.
If that's where you want to end up, go for it man. Being alive forever is totally overrated.
I believe that I don't know about heaven, but it's cool to be a good person just because, you know? Just for this life
God is omnibenevolent
The only expectations(omniscience) he has are the consequences of nature
Intentions are what is important
They come prior to content
Knowledge is but a fleeting moment in nature.
Hoo, boy. That is an ornery bull to tackle right there. It certainly is a pleasing thought to imagine that segregation in the afterlife is as simple as good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. I know that the Jesus Fan Club will likely tell you that entrance to heaven is not achieved though works, but through unwavering faith. Meaning that being a good or a bad person in life is not nearly as important as just believing in what the Bible says. Because, to the Christian God, we are all little shit stains who will never be good enough for him because we are all just born evil. But due to some convoluted loop-hole, if you believe that Jesus was real and you are super grateful about it, then you get to go to heaven.

Basically, according to Christianity, the racist sexist bigot who believes in Jesus Christ will go to heaven while a non-Christian who is a super nice guy and devoted his life to helping others will burn in hell. That being said, you can go ahead and create your own religion where the result on a good or bad meter determines your afterlife if it'll make you feel any better.
Personally I think that people are judged based on their actions and not on their beliefs. So the "racist sexist bigots" would actually be going to hell because even though they believed in God, they were total douche bags in their life time. On the other hand, the "super nice guys" would go to heaven because even though they didn't believe in God, they did a ton of good deeds. That's what I believe.
Well, then. You may as well start a new religion that makes those promises, because that's not what the Bible teaches.
I'm not about to start a cult based on what I believe. Other people can do that stuff, but I'm too lazy and the entire thing is pretty useless and self-defeating. I'll just believe what I believe and let other people worry about what other people think. If you don't like it, then I'm sorry for sharing it, but I'm entitled to my opinion.
I'm pretty indifferent about the entire thing. I'm just stating the facts about Christianity. According to that religion, just being a super nice person will not gain you access into heaven. You have to accept Christ as your lord and master. You can have your belief but it is not the same belief as what Christianity teaches. For the record, I am not promoting Christianity or any religion.
Yeah, that's what a lot of Christians believe. Fortunately, I'm not Christian. =) I grew up in a Christian household, but I don't believe in the same things. My beliefs came from my conclusions on what God should be like, it doesn't necessarily mean He actually is.
Sometimes I get scared that there right
You may as well be afraid that ancient mummified corpses will suddenly awaken and reclaim their extracted organs from jars as they once more walk the earth. I think that it's a safe bet to say that the whole Christian idea of heaven and hell is nothing more than a self-satisfying selfish glorification of cultural intolerance.
I'm scared of mummies too and zombies and vampires and most of all Justin beiber
I'm a believer, but certainly don't subscribe to that description! yikes.
do good.. say good.. all for the sake of what?? GOD perhaps! I believe you have to have the proper intention and true fear and love for the one whom you worship.
Nothing is good enough for God, we're going to hell.
I agree with you. I'm catholic but I don't believe about having to be in a religion in order to go to heaven. I don't think we necessarily have to do exaclty what the bible says, go to church every day or every Sunday, or pray every day at x hr on x days.... blah blah... I think that God will be happy as long as we do good things! As long as we are nice with other people, respect nature, and dedicate a certain time to pray or just have a "conversation" with God :P well, that's what I do, in the night I pray and then have a long conversation (Maybe a discussion with myself to be more exact xP ) with God :P (talk to my self :P ) but even if you don't believe in God, I think that God is nature so as long as we respect nature and people I think we are ok :) the thing is to live in harmony, promote peace, don't commit bad acts, and have a clean conscience :)
Speaking from a Christian perspective, nothing you do can be good enough to earn your way into heaven. Heaven is only for perfect people. The sad thing is, nobody is perfect, and thus nobody can go to heaven and everyone deserves death and hell. Lucky for you, there is good news. God decided to take your punishment of death for you, so if you ask him to take away your sins and believe He has the power to do so, then He will freely do so.
It isn't. No one can go to heaven by their own merits.
I don't let people in my house that I don't know, unless another trusted friend or family member has invited them.
You might if the outside was a raging inferno where people, who may not even like you but are still people, are being burned alive. I know I would, and I'm not even a perfect manifestation of love.