Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 170

What "good" is good enough for God

:iconjjwsmith:
JJWsmith Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
I believe all a person needs to do to get into heaven is be good and do good things what do you think

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Westbro Baptist Church will tell you.
:iconkausawolf:
kausawolf Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Its all about what you believe bro. If thats what you think then go for it and hope thats the truth.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012   Digital Artist
If that's where you want to end up, go for it man. Being alive forever is totally overrated.
:iconoh-cherie-cherie:
Oh-Cherie-Cherie Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
I believe that I don't know about heaven, but it's cool to be a good person just because, you know? Just for this life
:iconmangaotakuchan:
Mangaotakuchan Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
True that
:iconjarringx:
jarringx Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student General Artist
God is omnibenevolent
The only expectations(omniscience) he has are the consequences of nature
Intentions are what is important
They come prior to content
Knowledge is but a fleeting moment in nature.
:icondidj:
Didj Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Hoo, boy. That is an ornery bull to tackle right there. It certainly is a pleasing thought to imagine that segregation in the afterlife is as simple as good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. I know that the Jesus Fan Club will likely tell you that entrance to heaven is not achieved though works, but through unwavering faith. Meaning that being a good or a bad person in life is not nearly as important as just believing in what the Bible says. Because, to the Christian God, we are all little shit stains who will never be good enough for him because we are all just born evil. But due to some convoluted loop-hole, if you believe that Jesus was real and you are super grateful about it, then you get to go to heaven.

Basically, according to Christianity, the racist sexist bigot who believes in Jesus Christ will go to heaven while a non-Christian who is a super nice guy and devoted his life to helping others will burn in hell. That being said, you can go ahead and create your own religion where the result on a good or bad meter determines your afterlife if it'll make you feel any better.
Mangaotakuchan Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Personally I think that people are judged based on their actions and not on their beliefs. So the "racist sexist bigots" would actually be going to hell because even though they believed in God, they were total douche bags in their life time. On the other hand, the "super nice guys" would go to heaven because even though they didn't believe in God, they did a ton of good deeds. That's what I believe.
Didj Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Well, then. You may as well start a new religion that makes those promises, because that's not what the Bible teaches.
Mangaotakuchan Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I'm not about to start a cult based on what I believe. Other people can do that stuff, but I'm too lazy and the entire thing is pretty useless and self-defeating. I'll just believe what I believe and let other people worry about what other people think. If you don't like it, then I'm sorry for sharing it, but I'm entitled to my opinion.
Didj Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I'm pretty indifferent about the entire thing. I'm just stating the facts about Christianity. According to that religion, just being a super nice person will not gain you access into heaven. You have to accept Christ as your lord and master. You can have your belief but it is not the same belief as what Christianity teaches. For the record, I am not promoting Christianity or any religion.
Mangaotakuchan Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Yeah, that's what a lot of Christians believe. Fortunately, I'm not Christian. =) I grew up in a Christian household, but I don't believe in the same things. My beliefs came from my conclusions on what God should be like, it doesn't necessarily mean He actually is.
JJWsmith Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Sometimes I get scared that there right
Didj Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
You may as well be afraid that ancient mummified corpses will suddenly awaken and reclaim their extracted organs from jars as they once more walk the earth. I think that it's a safe bet to say that the whole Christian idea of heaven and hell is nothing more than a self-satisfying selfish glorification of cultural intolerance.
JJWsmith Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
I'm scared of mummies too and zombies and vampires and most of all Justin beiber
:iconlyteside:
lyteside Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
I'm a believer, but certainly don't subscribe to that description! yikes.
:icontwasdandish:
twasdandish Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
do good.. say good.. all for the sake of what?? GOD perhaps! I believe you have to have the proper intention and true fear and love for the one whom you worship.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Nothing is good enough for God, we're going to hell.
:iconcandydechocolate:
CandyDeChocolate Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I agree with you. I'm catholic but I don't believe about having to be in a religion in order to go to heaven. I don't think we necessarily have to do exaclty what the bible says, go to church every day or every Sunday, or pray every day at x hr on x days.... blah blah... I think that God will be happy as long as we do good things! As long as we are nice with other people, respect nature, and dedicate a certain time to pray or just have a "conversation" with God :P well, that's what I do, in the night I pray and then have a long conversation (Maybe a discussion with myself to be more exact xP ) with God :P (talk to my self :P ) but even if you don't believe in God, I think that God is nature so as long as we respect nature and people I think we are ok :) the thing is to live in harmony, promote peace, don't commit bad acts, and have a clean conscience :)
:iconroycura:
RoyCura Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Speaking from a Christian perspective, nothing you do can be good enough to earn your way into heaven. Heaven is only for perfect people. The sad thing is, nobody is perfect, and thus nobody can go to heaven and everyone deserves death and hell. Lucky for you, there is good news. God decided to take your punishment of death for you, so if you ask him to take away your sins and believe He has the power to do so, then He will freely do so.
:icondadona777:
dadona777 Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
nothing is
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
It isn't. No one can go to heaven by their own merits.
lyteside Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
I don't let people in my house that I don't know, unless another trusted friend or family member has invited them.
:iconi-stamp:
i-stamp Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
You might if the outside was a raging inferno where people, who may not even like you but are still people, are being burned alive. I know I would, and I'm not even a perfect manifestation of love.
If there is a raging inferno outside, the story/metaphor doesn't work very well, does it? The fire would almost certainly destroy my house and those with it. Escape and evacuation for all is a better metaphor in that regard (yet mixing my story and an inferno metaphor is problematic in general).

My original statement is not a reflection of my "theology" as much as it is just thinking about how things work in this life - to evoke the plumbline in regard to spiritual matters. I would be horrified if you took it as an analogy of how I expect things to work or be in the next life, so I hope that's not the case...
Oh, was going to add that the comment works when paired with the attitude "I get to go to heaven because I was good." it doesn't when paired with "I'm on fire, someone please help me."

In the second we are closer to understanding God's heart and desire to rescue us from our troubles, just as you would. :)

You may not be a "perfect manifestation of love" (heh), but I've seen your desire and zealousness for truth and clear thinking. You are a champion of sorts in this way, and definitely a reflection of the deeper truth and deep love that exists in te great beyond (regardless if and when we disagree).
:iconmaddmatt:
maddmatt Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
What if they are the ones setting the fire and by letting them in, you doom all in the house to the same fiery torment that those outside are causing?
maddmatt Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Wow...blocked for that?

The comment/block/and run policy is still in full effect for the anti-God cowards I see.
Nevermind that if I were omnipotent I could prevent such a fire from catching and omnipresent would mean I wouldn't have to blame victims when they were set up to catch on fire by my all encompassing will. But thus metaphor is being streched a little thin.
No, I blocked you because having a three month conversation with someone who believes the earth is only thousands of years old instead of millions is not worth my or anyone's, time.

Shake the dust off your feet and move on.
:iconkaikaku:
kaikaku Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm not sure we have the ability to know. If there's a God, his will is his will and his nature is his nature, I can't pretend to know it.

I don't believe in heaven, and as such, don't think there's any way to get there. In my experience, peace is found in accepting nature's tougher truths rather than running away from them. We are all the recipients of the good deeds of others, and as such, we need to do good deeds to honor those who have helped us, and to honor all the other people we could have been. Not to mention to feed love and good karma back into the universal system. No, I don't mean that last part literally.

Anyway, that's my two worthless cents, but I hope you're right. It's easier to conceive of a God existing who judges the hearts of his creations by the work they do, rather than whether they happen to believe in the right doctrine, when the right doctrine seems very hard to discern from our position.
:iconcreyk:
creyk Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Just do what makes you happy. God wants his creations to be happy.
:iconsemi-surreal:
semi-surreal Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
In America, it's "fat & happy".
:iconcreyk:
creyk Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Sounds good to me!:iconfatlaplz:
:icondebra-marie:
Debra-Marie Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
All you have to do is try. If you are trying to be better each day, thats good enough.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I went to your page and you have 666 page-views, so I think you're an agent of the Devil trying to lead us astray! :iconmadnoesplz:
Lol! :)
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
I think, if the God I think you mean is real, there can only be universal salvation. And yeah, that does mean Hitler in heaven. But no worries, cause there's no such thing as bad in heaven. It's that kind of place.
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The problem is that we can't properly distinguish wrong from right, because we are unenlightened and biased by environmental influences.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
The only good that would please the Christian god would be Unconditional surrender to his son.
maddmatt Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Amen.
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
That sounds so dirty.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
It is.
:icontheawsomeopossum:
TheAwsomeOpossum Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Well, I suppose it depends. But, I should say... we should be doing all we can do, probably. Best to be on the safe side.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional General Artist
I think lack of punctuation is a sin.
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Indeed!
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional General Artist
Penance should be reading Strunk & White from cover to cover.
:iconndifference:
ndifference Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Writer
The Ten Commandments might be helpful?
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Eh, not so sure about them. I mean, 4 of them is dedicated to God's ego and 1 to his resting day. 1 is punishing "adultery", whatever that might mean(and by that, I mean you can interpret that in a ridiculus amount of ways. Like how all non-marrital sex have been viewed as adultery in the past). And last on the list of strange commandmends there is the one who says that you're not allowed to desire something someone else has, which is basicly making a rule no humans can follow(punishing thought crime it seems).

Only three of the ten seems to have anything to contribute towards being a good person, making the list a bit superflous.
:iconndifference:
ndifference Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional Writer
Well, start with the no killing and stealing and whatever the other one is and move on from there.
Add a Comment: