Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 706

My Dad Wants To Know An Answer About Something.

:iconalfangmindsculptor42:
AlFangMindSculptor42 Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
okay, please don't give me hate, nor my dad hate about this. This is based on his religious beliefs, so that is why he'd ask this question. He wants me to ask: Why are gays gay, when the bible clearly says that being gay is wrong, and they will go to hell? I have nothing against gays, I love everyone equally, and I don't exactly share my dad's thoughts on gays.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkausawolf:
kausawolf Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The same reason some people are born white and stay white.
Or some people have black hair and stay with black hair.
They are born that way and they have no choice.

Honestly, why would anyone CHOOSE to be gay?
They are outcasted, thrown from their homes, shunned, and SO many people are always telling them they'll go to hell and they are wrong and all these things.
They are beaten, cursed at, and many killed.
Who the heck would WANT all that?
AlFangMindSculptor42 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
No one would.
:icongoldacorn:
goldacorn Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
this kind of thing tends to be a touchy subject, and is best answered indirectly with more questions. this is because any part of the bible can be used to "prove" any part of the bible wrong, and because so many translations exist. the big question here being why should you or your father wish to follow the bible word for word on this one particular thing?

would you be willing to have sex with your father? odds are no, at least I'd hope lol. but what happened with lot and his kids? would your father order the death of your brother if he saw him naked? again no but its in there. do you wear more than one type of fabric at a time? odds are yes and according to the good book thats bad, says so in the same chapter as the big go-to anti gay reference. should women be forced to stay outside the community while on their period? should blind people be forbidden to go to church? should farmers be forbidden from raising more than one type of crop in a field? should people who have negative dreams concerning god be put to death? should we kill anyone who even suggests worshipping another god? I can give sources for where each of these is in the bible if you like.

so, why out of all of these (and a great many more I assure you) is being gay the only one that is questioned with any seriousness?
AlFangMindSculptor42 Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I don't know, that's the thing he dwells on the most. :shrug:
:icongoldacorn:
goldacorn Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I would ask him, its a valid question.
:iconborogovelm:
BorogoveLM Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Student General Artist
The bible says that god is loving. The part about hell is test of faith: it's not real.
AlFangMindSculptor42 Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
:lol:
:iconmodernevampiressa:
ModerneVampiressa Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
BECAUSE YOUR SEXUAL PREFERENCE IS IMPRINTED AT BIRTH.

It's been proven by science. Besides which, not everyone is a fuckmothering christian. Get the nine hells over it.
:iconthepeanutbutterfly:
ThePeanutButterfly Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The Bible also says "love your neighbour", meaning be kind to and love everyone. You'll find the Bible contradicts itself a lot, and it's because it isn't a dictator that states exactly how to live your life, and what to think. It's merely guidance, people can choose what to believe and what to live their life by.
Obviously, many gays, (as well as many others) do not read/go by the Bible, because they have a different or no religion. They don't want to be "ruled" by something they don't even believe to be true.
Also, it's not as simple as "choosing" to be gay or not. Just as one can't control/alter one's personality, one can't control/alter their sexual orientation. Some people, who are ashamed of it or don't think it's right, try to change it or hide it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a part of them.
Many people don't believe "Hell" or any of that sort exists, and even among Christians, its existence is so controversial (is it an actual place? A state of being? A frame of mind?) that it's impossible to answer your second question.
I say, don't concentrate on details like this: celebrate individuality, let everybody shine! It doesn't matter if they are a man or a woman; if a person is capable of loving, that's a wonderful thing, and nothing else matters.
AlFangMindSculptor42 Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
indeed it is.
:iconairthir:
Airthir Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student Photographer
There are many translations and interpretations of the bible. Many of the references to homosexuality cover men raping male prisoners of war, for instance, and only seem homophobic when taken out of context. There is no "clearly says gay is wrong."

The bible also suggests we stone adulterers and isolate women who are having their period, so I don't see how it carries much weight, anywway.

And gays are gay because they are. Why are you straight? If an angel came down right now and said heterosexuality was a sin, would your dad be able to fall in love with a man?
AlFangMindSculptor42 Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
No he probably wouldn't be able to.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Because some of us are not Christians and we do not answer to the bible come death or high waters :)

As for why gays are gay and lesbians are lesbians......I dunno, but I must admit there are certain fine looking specimens of both genders wandering around out there as well as some who are not easily distinguishable between the two.
yeah.
:iconevanatt:
Evanatt Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Gays are gays for the same reason why straight are straight. It's just humans who happens to fall in love.

Also no one is asking him to turn gay, if it's that what he's scared of?. But he should just accept that others are.

I think why the bible have men should not lay with other men part could possible be because the part of wasting "seed". Back then it was getting as many children as possible thing going on I would assume. Now a days there are kinda already many people, so maybe it's just good that some are gays in that sense.
yeah.
:iconpure-in-heart:
pure-in-heart Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student Filmographer
First of all there are multiple translations of bible, and even more interpretations... Secondly, it was created by man... Being gay is not a choice and doesn't make a person any less of a person, nor should it take away their rights... I know the following statement is lame, but think about it, if being gay is wrong, would God really put them on earth? And how do gays hurt other people exactly? Those are two of my faves to ask a homophobe
those are good questions too.
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student General Artist
You may want to revise on your questions if you want to ask a homophobe, first of all, you seem to assume all homophobes are religious when there are secular ones. Second of all, this sexuality thing is all semantics and it's entirely possible for one to go against their orientation and under some semantic rules, sexuality can be a choice if we're referring to behaviors rather than the intrinsic abstract conceptualization of attraction. Third of all, the second question is easy to answer as sexuality has nothing to do with morals, hence the answer would be that homosexuals can harm others like straight do.
In this case the father from what I read is... Besides, I highly doubt every single person who has issues with homosexuality will respond the same way you have... But fine, I'll rephrase it, how does a person being gay affect you in a negative way?
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student General Artist
Well, if I have to criticize that question, I'd say it isn't without problem as a person can varies a lot, hence one could just nitpick at a bad example for you. Better question "How does the direction of sexual attraction affects you in a negative way discounting the moral compass of a individual?" as this eliminates the moral compass and nitpicking examples issues for your position.
I thought about that - one's orientation shouldn't be held accountable for personal reservations and prejudices, but... Half of the people I talk to won't even understand that question :D
:iconabeautiful-world:
abeautiful-world Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
omg cant believe i typed they like people of the opposite sex when clearly i meant to type same sex (embarrassed face lol)
Gays are gay because they like people of the opposite sex its that simple :-P

they were not born gay but its something they cant control.

p.s the bible does not saying being gay is wrong the church does

a lot like the bible does not say using condoms is wrong the catholic church does.

no-one and i repeat no-one not matter how holy they think they are knows what god sees as right or wrong.

the holy books are designed to open your eyes and let you make your own mind up but they can be read however you want.

i.e get 1000 people to read the same verse in any book not just a holy book and ask them to comment on what it means and they will always have different views because we have all lived different lifes and had different experiences.

thsi is what makes humanity so great in my opinion (the fact we can all make our own mind up about things)
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist
"the bible does not say being gay is wrong"

Leviticus 18:22 "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."
Leviticus 20:13 "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

It's not wrong. Just abominable and punishable by death.
no no, read what you quoted. It's an abomination, but unless the man your banging is also banging some chick, it's not yet punishable by death.
Smkiller Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist
Gotta love the English language.
:D very much so
oh you mean the ten commandments that started as 10 but moses decided to made up as he went along?

i,e whenever he disliked something he then quoted that god had said it was wrong later.
Smkiller Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist
No, I mean parts of the Bible that pose a position on homosexuality, to counter your claim to the contrary.

So...

"p.s the bible does not saying being gay is wrong"

While actually yes. Yes it does.
:icontimehasanend:
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist
It's clear the "Law of God" says, "THOU SHALL "NOT" LIE WITH MANKIND." That's very clear! He didn't say it's okay to lie down with mankind or womankind! So, yeah your not hearing the word of God.

Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of E-sai'-as, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive. For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear...Matthew 13:13-16.
wait wait wait.....so according to the big man himself. I can't have sex with men, and I can't have sex with women.....well that's a bummer :(
Smkiller Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist
"It's clear the "Law of God" says, "THOU SHALL "NOT" LIE WITH MANKIND." That's very clear!"

Yes, I know. I read that.

"He didn't say it's okay to lie down with mankind or womankind! So, yeah your not hearing the word of God.""

... what?
AlFangMindSculptor42 Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
yep.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Gay is a form of hysteria, its a social affirmation thing and a lack of self determination thing.

If you knew more about gays you would not be ok with them.
AlFangMindSculptor42 Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I do know more about gays, I'm friends with gays, I like a gay singer. There's nothing wrong with them at all, they are very nice people, they are like everyone else in the world, except that they like the same sex.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Its nowhere near that simple, anyway i gays are taboo so i wont add anymore to my arguement
:icontheartofcbyoung:
TheArtOfCBYoung Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The question is why am I gay when I know that the bible says that it is wrong, and I will go to hell. Well, I have a number of reasons:

1. Men are better in bed than women.
2. The same reason that I eat shrimp and wear clothing of multiple materials. I.E. It is something I like, and it is not hurting anyone. Other than the shrimp. They get digested. I got heartburn once, and if that's what being in my belly feels like-- then I do pity the shrimp that made for such a good meal.
3.The same reason I believe stoning people to death is wrong, and why I will never sell my daughters into slavery. The bible has a ton of good lessons. It also has a few that ...well, they just don't work anymore.
4. From what I hear, Hell is where all the fun people are going. Save me a seat in a bucket of ice water.
5. If I believed in hell.
6. Being gay is not something I chose, it is just the way I am.
7. Believe it or not, I did not set out today to be the image you want to see of sin. I got up, went to work. Went to school. Came home, sketched for a bit, I checked out the DA forums for a while, and am about to watch some TV and go to sleep.
8. Why am I gay? for the same reason anyone is attracted to anyone else.

I might not be all catholic, but I was raised like that: I live by the golden rule. I do unto others as I wold have done to me. If I ever harm another human being my guilt will be the worst punishment. But if another person is doing something they like, and not hurting anyone it is not my business.

More power to them.
I thought it was "when thy brother strikes thee, offer unto him the other cheek"
AlFangMindSculptor42 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Very true.
:iconbrainninja11:
brainninja11 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Student General Artist
Gays are gay because they feel a natural attraction to the same gender. They fall in love the same way everyone else does. They don't choose to love the same gender, they just do. That's what people don't get though, they assume people choose to be gay, when it's not a choice at all. Homosexual tendencies also appear in hundreds of animal species, so it's not like this is some unnatural abomination that only humans do. If he doesn't see how that's possible, tell him to put down the bible and pick up a book on psychology or science. Or just go live. Go talk to people with and OPEN MIND. You learn a lot.
AlFangMindSculptor42 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
indeed you do.
:iconwolfspirit292:
WolfSpirit292 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Remind your dad that Jesus said not to judge and to love everyone equally. So if he's THAT concerned over what the bible says, he should remember to practice it. If that came across as harsh, I didn't mean it to, that's just the way it is. I'm tired of Christians picking and choosing what parts of the bible they want to follow. If those are your beliefs, fine, but at least practice everything your book teaches then.
But you CAN'T follow the entire bible both new and old testament together. It goes against itself in places.
Hey, Jesus hung out with whores, bums, and general scummy people. He treated them like anyone else. He didn't necessarily approve of their behavior or lifestyles, but he ACCEPTED them as human beings.
very true.
Hey, Jesus hung out with whores, bums, and general scummy people. He treated them like anyone else. He didn't necessarily approve of their behavior or lifestyles, but he ACCEPTED them as human beings.
Indeed he did.
Sorry for the double post... dunno how I did that. :(
it's okay. :)
Add a Comment: