Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 84

Question about spiritual life

:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Iím curious how others stay motivated to create some kind of spiritual life during times where life is going good. Do others put their spiritual development on the back burner during good times? Have most people done away with prayers altogether, even during the most difficult times?

Many times, life would get bad enough for me to increase my meditation practice over long periods of time (the only spiritual thing I do).

Despite meditation practice, I once went years and years without praying to a higher power. Then something extra bad happened and I found myself praying even though I feel Iím mainly atheist (no belief in any god that can be conceived by the mind). Itís really rare for me to pray and I now feel like Iím being ungrateful when things go better and I meditate less and I don't pray at all. I want to meditate more but find myself spending excessive time reading sci-fi books, watching movies, etc.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkausawolf:
kausawolf Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I suppose in the good times we remember the bad times and be thankful, though being fair I hadn't have many good times to be sure :p
:iconveronicarockstrom:
veronicarockstrom Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I do my best to maintain a 'glass-always-full' mentality. If things are going less than stellar, I usually distance myself, or find ways to cleanse my mind or occupy my body. I've been told by friends that they don't come to me with their problems anymore because they can't prompt the 'right' reaction out of me. (IE, "Oh, NO she di'in't!") Usually I'm like "oh well, maybe that person was having a bad day and didn't realise they were being a total ass to you?"

It works for me!
:iconda1withdalongestname:
Depends on what kind of "good times" you're talking about. It seems your "good times" are materialist oriented, typical Christian ideals. It's ridiculous that people need to rely on objects to be happy.
You're an atheist because the idea of knowing the actual truth about existence comforts you isn't it? Then live by that happiness. It's not like you have much to worry about anyway, isn't that the point of atheism in the first place? Not being hold onto any religious doctrines?

PS. Meditation does not limit to sitting & close your eyes.
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
You're a condescending asshole.
Do elaborate, I have no intention to come across as such. Because of your reaction, I have to say the person you refer to may be no one but yourself.
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Buddha's brother was 80 years old when he attained enlightenment and he trained more than me. You obviously have no inkling of what I was after--not one fucking clue. If you did you wouldn't be stupid enough to assume that I was meditating wrong.
Did I say you're meditating it wrong? I said there are many ways to meditate besides sitting & closing your eyes.

It seems your fact you've just told me aren't that accurate or more fictional, the Buddha had no brother & actually attained enlightenment a lot earlier than the age of 80, you're just 45 years off. Also, you can't count the first 3 Buddhas as the older brother of the 4th. Unless you're 1 those who worship that fatty bloke & believe Buddhist monks can marry & have children. If that's the case, thanks for the information.

Also, I remembered, I said I don't understand why would anybody need objects to be happy? Since you've claimed to be an expert on meditation in your own right, then you should know the answer well.

You said you're an atheist, but you're acting just like those Christians you hated so much. You're too quick to judge & assume just like them. You know, the Buddha classifies people into 4 types of lotus, as I've seen so far, you're the 2nd type but you're acting as if you're the 3rd. Typical western hubris, I'm not surprised.

He also classifies people into 4 ranks as well based on how much they understand his teachings. I thought you're at rank 3, but you've shown me you're not even at rank 4, the lowest rank. You still cling on to assumptions & the primal instincts of the beasts.

But as 1 of the Buddha's teachings had said, I'll give you another chance.

I'm looking forward to hear from you again in the near future.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The only thing spiritually uplifting I do is to masturbate.
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
well done! BRAVO!!
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional General Artist
I'm a Buddhist and follower of the Bushido myself. I seek to live by my beliefs at all times to avoid the feeling of living in shame which I otherwise instantly get.
Add a Comment: