The Institution of Marriage

Marriage is just a fancy word for slavery.
Do you agree?
Comments40
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I must disagree. It is only slavery for those who chose for it to be. Marriage can be an equal partnership. What it is just depends on what kind of relationship the couple decides to have, both as individuals and as a pair.
The rings are representations of bondage.
Nope. Love the concept.

Anyone willing to be pessimistic about marriage just ain't experienced no true love.
No. I don't care for it though.
Pretty much. I don't want it, but I think everybody has the right to be miserable, so it should be legalized for everybody to get married.
In a way I do and in a way I don't. Back in the day it sure as hell was, but today the context has changed. You're not a literal slave anymore, but you still are institutionalized. Why marriage can be a psychological form of slavery (and not everyone agrees with this), is because by nature humans were never designed to handle marriage. Marriage, no matter if it's polygamous or monogamous, typically has its participants confined to one person or more for long periods of time. Humans are not born being able to stand this. They're polygamous and don't like staying in one spot with the same person(s) for all their lives. They get bored of it. So having to do that for twenty plus years can cause strain between a person and their mate, or mates, because they don't have the mental capabilities to handle the situation. In that way, marriage can feel like a prison or a form of slavery. Because 'you' hypothetically have lost your sense of freedom. Take marriage out of the equation, and you're no longer 'bonded' anymore to anyone. You can do what you want (or who you want, if I may be so blunt) when you want.

The exceptions the feeling of bondage in marriage are instances where marriage is either open or doesn't exist at all. There's a culture in China for example that expresses (very loosely in my opinion) 'free love' and a lack of institutionalized marriage. They have informal ceremonies that might be considered as weddings to outsiders, but really they're only little get-togethers for the sole purpose of allowing the matriarch of the household to decide whether or not a certain man is worthy of dating her daughter or not.
The idea of there being a human nature is a fallacy.
Man is freedom, not chopped liver.
Not from a biological standpoint. The human loses its soul and individuality and becomes nothing more than an animal or machine. Free will becomes an illusion.

((Besides if you were already set on mankind being free from the get-go, wouldn't this whole question of marriage being a prison be kind of obsolete?))
Scientific determinism is alright for cabbage but man is a go-getter.
I find that hard to believe thanks to all my pondering and research thus far. Man is very smart, yes, but still operates like a machine. Base level instincts and inter workings move him through his day to day life without him even realizing it. And instead of accepting it, he makes up a more 'beautiful' reason for why he does what he does. Because in his mind, Man is 'beautiful'. Man is 'different'.
No, but job is a fancy word for serfdom.
No, at least not in my part of the world. In some other parts, I am sure ot would be closer to that, but I don't know if slavery is the word I'd use.
Nope. Me and my husband both treat each other with respect. We love each other more than anything. THAT is what marriage is about, being selfless. Slavery....would not apply. If someone views marriage that way then they are obviously too immature for marriage.
And Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir didn't respect each other, I suppose.
I didnt say you had to be married to have respect. I said you had to have respect to be in a real marriage.
I believe in monogamy but not in marriage as it is totally unnecessary.
Totally. Sex slave for all eternity. Is anything better?
Hahahaha!! You've made my day!! XD
No, that's stupid.
Taking vows gives couples an extra something to prevent them from breaking up. From what I've read, shack-up relationships have a higher percentage of breakups then marriages do.
The bonds you talk of are revered chains.