Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 39

The Institution of Marriage

:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Marriage is just a fancy word for slavery.
Do you agree?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconadamkass:
AdamKass Nov 16, 2012  Professional General Artist
I must disagree. It is only slavery for those who chose for it to be. Marriage can be an equal partnership. What it is just depends on what kind of relationship the couple decides to have, both as individuals and as a pair.
:iconsaeter:
The rings are representations of bondage.
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Nov 16, 2012  Professional General Artist
Nope. Love the concept.

Anyone willing to be pessimistic about marriage just ain't experienced no true love.
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Nov 16, 2012  Student Digital Artist
No. I don't care for it though.
:icontheawesomeshoexd:
TheAwesomeShoeXD Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Pretty much. I don't want it, but I think everybody has the right to be miserable, so it should be legalized for everybody to get married.
:iconbabylonsabby:
BabylonSabby Nov 14, 2012  Student General Artist
In a way I do and in a way I don't. Back in the day it sure as hell was, but today the context has changed. You're not a literal slave anymore, but you still are institutionalized. Why marriage can be a psychological form of slavery (and not everyone agrees with this), is because by nature humans were never designed to handle marriage. Marriage, no matter if it's polygamous or monogamous, typically has its participants confined to one person or more for long periods of time. Humans are not born being able to stand this. They're polygamous and don't like staying in one spot with the same person(s) for all their lives. They get bored of it. So having to do that for twenty plus years can cause strain between a person and their mate, or mates, because they don't have the mental capabilities to handle the situation. In that way, marriage can feel like a prison or a form of slavery. Because 'you' hypothetically have lost your sense of freedom. Take marriage out of the equation, and you're no longer 'bonded' anymore to anyone. You can do what you want (or who you want, if I may be so blunt) when you want.

The exceptions the feeling of bondage in marriage are instances where marriage is either open or doesn't exist at all. There's a culture in China for example that expresses (very loosely in my opinion) 'free love' and a lack of institutionalized marriage. They have informal ceremonies that might be considered as weddings to outsiders, but really they're only little get-togethers for the sole purpose of allowing the matriarch of the household to decide whether or not a certain man is worthy of dating her daughter or not.
carusmm Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The idea of there being a human nature is a fallacy.
BabylonSabby Nov 14, 2012  Student General Artist
How so?
carusmm Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Man is freedom, not chopped liver.
BabylonSabby Nov 15, 2012  Student General Artist
Not from a biological standpoint. The human loses its soul and individuality and becomes nothing more than an animal or machine. Free will becomes an illusion.

((Besides if you were already set on mankind being free from the get-go, wouldn't this whole question of marriage being a prison be kind of obsolete?))
Add a Comment: