Funeral rites

Funerals are for the living.

Does anyone agree?
Comments39
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
a waste of money as well.
That depends on who you ask.

There are funerals devoted entirely to prayers for the deceased before burial. If you ask such people, they will say the funeral is for the benefit of the deceased. One may speculate that it also meets some psychological need of the living, but I have no real information that would lead me to think so myself.

When a funeral becomes "a celebration of the life of" the deceased instead, it's very clearly for the living.
Pretty much. I mean, someone has to deal with the remains.
Funerals are for greedy undertakers who charge ridiculous sums of money when relatives are at their most vulnerable. My Dad would have had to use up most of his savings just to cremate my Mum until the rest of the family helped out.
I would rather be chucked on the compost heap at the bottom of the garden and if your garden is big enough in the UK you are allowed to be buried on your own property.
Time was when people prepared their own dead for burial, and in their own houses. Theoretically it's still possible, at least in the US. I have no idea if that's true in the UK.

[link]
Most people would have no idea what to do anyway. I can't see anyone 'Googling' it to go ahead with a DIY burial. I suppose in the UK there would be some sort of punitive tax to stop anyone doing that in the first place. Then they would get you for polluting the ground if your relative happened to have mercury fillings. Basically they will make it very difficult.
Funerals (like all rituals) are for maintaining the subtle order of the cosmos through high magic, in this instance, by honoring principles (a.k.a. deities, angels, spirits) related to death.
Do you read a lot of Harry Potter?
No. I haven't read a single book of it, though I've seen two movies (the Philosopher's Stone and the Order of the Phoenix). Frankly, the universe isn't all that interesting, especially with the LotR ripoffs by the fifth movie.

But why do you ask?
I don't know. It may have been something you said.
I was only reciting what I learned about mysticism in general.
Depends on the country and it's religious/spiritual views.

The funerals we have (in the western world) for the most part are for the grieving living; the dead are gone, funeral or not, they aren't around anymore to care.

However, in some other cultures it's believed that funerals are cerimonies to help guide the dead to the afterlife, and so it's not so much for the living as the dead's soul.

So, like I said, it all depends where you live and the countr/culture/religious views.
Ancestor worship does a power of no good.
But that's only your personal opinion, which may work for you, but another person might believe quite differently and they have just as much right to believe that as you do in your beliefs.
I was only stating an opinion. I was not dictating a rule.

Yes, but not all the living. I don't think they've ever really "helped" me except in cases where I barely knew the person, and the idea that people gain closure at them is sort of absurd to me. Actually, the idea of 'closure' itself isn't really something I'm sure I'm on board with. I need different narratives. The common ones about loss and grief don't work for me, I guess.
Funerals are a salute in the right direction.
Yes, the self doesn't die.
I think that you have got the wrong end of the thread.
And I think you missed the intention of my comment.
What was your intention?
I assume you mean that the funerals are only meant for those still living here, that the dead gives and gets nothing out of it. But the "dead" isn't really dead...
I thought that is what you meant.
View all replies