November 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 38
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Funerals are for the living.

Does anyone agree?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Photographer
a waste of money as well.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
That depends on who you ask.

There are funerals devoted entirely to prayers for the deceased before burial. If you ask such people, they will say the funeral is for the benefit of the deceased. One may speculate that it also meets some psychological need of the living, but I have no real information that would lead me to think so myself.

When a funeral becomes "a celebration of the life of" the deceased instead, it's very clearly for the living.
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
Pretty much. I mean, someone has to deal with the remains.
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Funerals are for greedy undertakers who charge ridiculous sums of money when relatives are at their most vulnerable. My Dad would have had to use up most of his savings just to cremate my Mum until the rest of the family helped out.
I would rather be chucked on the compost heap at the bottom of the garden and if your garden is big enough in the UK you are allowed to be buried on your own property.
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Time was when people prepared their own dead for burial, and in their own houses. Theoretically it's still possible, at least in the US. I have no idea if that's true in the UK.

[link]
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Most people would have no idea what to do anyway. I can't see anyone 'Googling' it to go ahead with a DIY burial. I suppose in the UK there would be some sort of punitive tax to stop anyone doing that in the first place. Then they would get you for polluting the ground if your relative happened to have mercury fillings. Basically they will make it very difficult.
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Funerals (like all rituals) are for maintaining the subtle order of the cosmos through high magic, in this instance, by honoring principles (a.k.a. deities, angels, spirits) related to death.
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Do you read a lot of Harry Potter?
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
No. I haven't read a single book of it, though I've seen two movies (the Philosopher's Stone and the Order of the Phoenix). Frankly, the universe isn't all that interesting, especially with the LotR ripoffs by the fifth movie.

But why do you ask?
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I don't know. It may have been something you said.
Add a Comment: