Closed to new replies
November 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 240

Being Christian with homosexual desires

:iconimpoliticalsowhat:
impoliticalsowhat Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
This is indeed two subjects that most assume can never bridge together. There are so many mixed messages on Christianity and what the Bible says about same sex attraction. Even I struggle with discussing it without the fear of putting my foot in my mouth.

But then I came across this:
[link]
And I was curious to know what the Philosophy & Religion Forum as a whole thought on this subject.
What are some specifics that you take out of this article?
Do you think Bryan Magana is like a majority Christians who have the same sex attraction and don't like that they have to "choose" one lifestyle or the other?
Or is he a rare case that needs further research and exploration before accurately discussing?

If you're a Christian with homosexual desires, I would especially love to hear from you and the effect homosexuality may have on your faith.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthespiderfrommars:
TheSpiderFromMars Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't see any problems why a Christian person would have any problems if said person had "homosexual desires"? So what if you're homosexual, it doesn't stop you from believing in God. Heck, I know a priest that's gay. No problem whatsoever.
:iconincendiaangelus:
IncendiaAngelus Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I once met a guy with a similar approach to his homosexual desires. I agree with this approach completely :nod:
:icontheartofcbyoung:
TheArtOfCBYoung Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I was raised Catholic, and I heard more than one time that homosexuals are going to hell. Always from people who did not know I'm gay; I doubt they would say the same thing to my face. I mean, I eat shrimp, I shave, and I wear clothing of more than two materials.

It always felt weird to me to hear preachings of a god of love, and then hear than I am going to hell. Either god created us in his image, or he didn't. I am going to keep doing what feels right to me, and if that is wrong, then I hope someone saved me a seat in a bucket of ice water.
:iconsketch-silver:
Sketch-Silver Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm for one a Christian who believes that its not a sin to be attracted to the same sex. Sure the Bible says that Eve was made for Adam and all that, but God was planning to to make a world how else would you make babies? I've never seen in the Bible simply saying that you can't be attracted to the same sex. I've seen where someone twisted the words a bit to get what they wanted out of it. Yet if God found it important to say "No Murder" then if it was important and this big sin people make it out to be wouldn't he just simply say "No Gays"?
:iconveronicarockstrom:
veronicarockstrom Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I'm not sure if anyone's posted this yet BUT

[link]

I know it's shitty, but you know, copyrighting and all. :) It touches on homosexuality and christianity.
:iconmangaotakuchan:
Mangaotakuchan Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I personally think that anyone who is struggling with same-sex desires and their religion should decided for themselves. If they come to the conclusion that yes, homosexuality is a sin and they shouldn't indulge in it, then by all means. If they decide that the Bible didn't really out right say that being gay was a sin, and go on to love someone of the same sex, then go right ahead! I only just when people are afraid to make a decision because of what other people are telling them. They shouldn't let others' opinions influence them. Only through introspection, a little soul-searching, and thought can they make a decision.
:iconmangaotakuchan:
Mangaotakuchan Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Ahh, sorry. That was really bad grammar. Let me try again.

I personally think that anyone who is struggling between their same-sex desires and their religion should decide what to do for themselves.
If they come to the conclusion that yes, homosexuality is a sin and conflicts with their religion so they shouldn't indulge in it, then by all means.
If they decide that the Bible never really out right saw that being gay was a sin, and they can be both Christian and a homosexual, then go right ahead!
No one's preventing you from making your decisions. I'm not judging you, and no one else should either.
I only judge when people are afraid to make a decision because of what other people are telling them. They shouldn't let others' opinions influence them to the point that they become indecisive. That'll only bring a lot of pain to themselves.
They have to find their own truths which is only reached through introspection, a little soul-searching, and a lot of thought.
:iconoh-cherie-cherie:
Oh-Cherie-Cherie Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
I had lesbian neighbors once, and one of them was a pastor. The most well-balanced people I ever met.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
A few maniacs have sure done a world of damage.
:iconoperia:
Operia Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
This question is thrown around Philosophy & Religion so much, you wouldn't believe it. I swear half the threads on here are about homosexuality :lol:
Anyway, in response to your question.

I believe it comes from the Old Testament originally, but to be honest I think the main reason is that the Bible was written at a time when the human race was small in numbers and needed to reproduce. I believe it is quite a common theme, that love is between a man and a woman.

I'm not an expert, though. Just throwing in an opinion.
Add a Comment: