Closed to new replies
November 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 66

Advertise Your Religion Here

:iconspacelanderryo:
SpacelanderRyo Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Recently I've been really bored of not having a religion at all when I have the nagging feeling that I should have one, so basically I'm asking you to convert me. I will definitely not automatically convert to what the first poster puts, and I might not convert what any poster puts. I just want to see what people have to say.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthemarcher:
TheMarcher Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Pastafarianism
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Religion isn't about one choice over another. It's a belief. It's not like buying a product.
:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
Eclectic paganism.

You get to cast spells and shit, bro.
:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
*inb4 'You don't have to cast spells to be a pagan!" I know that, deviantart. Shut up and let me troll.
:iconxxarishaxpxx:
xxarishaxpxx Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I'm a Unitarian Univeralist, I take my beliefs from many religons. I love it too! :la:
:iconafter--life:
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
We would do this...

[link]
:iconafter--life:
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Millions of people gathered onto the streets, and to do what?

[link]
:iconi-am-a-retro-lass:
i-am-a-retro-lass Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If I had to compartmentalize myself or label myself inside a religious belief...I would probably choose Pantheist. xx
:iconpersoninator:
Personinator Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, Pantheism's pretty cool in my opinion.
:iconlumdrop:
Lumdrop Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I'm sort of going through a thing like that myself.
I converted to Catholicism because I thought it was the best religion I ever encountered.
I still think it is, but most Catholics don't take Catholic beliefs and practices seriously, so not really being able to relate with my coreligionists, I'm pretty much drifting away from religion in general now.

If you can stand limp-wristed milquetoasts and well-intentioned spiritual yes-men, I'd say give Catholicism a try.
There are a few who still take their Church seriously.

Maybe it was just my experiences :shrug:

Anyway, good luck in your search :)
:icontimehasanend:
TimeHasAnEnd Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist
The Word of God of the Bible teaches very clear, no man on earth can be save through any type of religion. Because, it is entirely 100% the work of God for anyone to get saved or get converted and not through man. It's God, who does the circumsized of the heart and give you a new spirit or a new soul. Only, then you can be converted and believed in the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal saviour. Because, the bible teaches very clear, that all men are "spiritually dead" and no one will believe in Him. So, therefore, we beg for mercy and ask God to saved us. Remember, we are only saved through the Grace and the Mercy of God...
:iconder-freishutz:
der-freishutz Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
taoism is pretty rad
we follow the natural order and try not to mess with it, and try to achieve spiritual harmony through meditation and purification of the self.
SpacelanderRyo Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student General Artist
I'm looking into Taoism some. There isn't anything disagreeable to me on the surface but I still have to research it.
Flagged as Spam
Yes. What are you saying?
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
It may not be mine, but you might take a look into Last Thursdayism. According to Last Thursdayism, the universe and everything in it was created Last Thursday to look as though it began billions of years ago. Everything created was created as is including the Earth, fossils, a teapot orbiting the Sun between Earth and Mars, and human beings with complete memories dating back before last Thursday.

"There is no logical impossibility in the hypothesis that the world sprang into being five minutes ago, exactly as it then was, with a population that "remembered" a wholly unreal past. There is no logically necessary connection between events at different times; therefore nothing that is happening now or will happen in the future can disprove the hypothesis that the world began five minutes ago"

—Bertrand Russell, The Analysis of Mind, 1921, pp. 159–60)

I would definitely avoid those heretics the Last Tuesdayists. Those people are crazy.
:iconcandanceamy:
CandanceAmy Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
That would make a neat scifi movie scenario :O
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
It would be interesting.
:iconxternal7:
xTernal7 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Just start believing that whole universe is actually something like The Matrix. If you consider yourself a geek:
There are no gods. Devs (developer) technically aren't gods.
Everything you see or hear is actually a very good animation.
You are just an entity in the system. System was programmed to create such entites that would have free will. Entity needs to consume energy packets in order to live and operate. Entities have only very basic privileges, so they can't interact with the core of the system and change it. Only devs can do that.
System is still quite bugged, and devs are struggling to remove those. Sometimes system crashes because of that. Proof of that are deja vu sights.
Et cetera.
Gnosticism doesn't fit in my my personal beliefs, sorry. I'm also looking for something without robots and aliens.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional General Artist
The alien God I referred to isn't an extraterrestrial. "Alien" refers more to something strange, unfamiliar, or incomprehensible.
Also, in most gnostic systems, the developer is the demiurge and not very concerned with bugs. That's more a concern for other archons, like Sophia, which I suppose could be thought of as devs but are not really the creators of matter. Depends on the particular system we're dealing with, of course. Valentianism is the most well known and complex.
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional General Artist
Gnosticism was there first.
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Atheists... uhhh..... we know how to make cookies?
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
have you considered Buddhism? Sufism?
I've considered Buddhism but I have a few problems with it, although I like some parts of it. I have never heard of Sufism but I'll look it up.
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
what is your problem with Buddhism? (if you are in the mood to talk about it)
:icontheawsomeopossum:
TheAwsomeOpossum Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Hrrm... well what do you look for in a religion?

I ask this because it's highly unlikely that someone is going to just convince you with a message board post. It takes a more personal touch. But what do you look for in a religion; why do you want it, besides boredom?
:iconhippo-rim-job:
hippo-rim-job Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
If I was shopping for a new religion, I don't think I would buy it online.
:iconstripedpower:
StripedPower Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012   Digital Artist
Are you serious on this? :lol:

My recommendation: Get into metaphysics instead. That way you won't have to worry about stupid morals and "holy laws", and still practice spiritualism and mentalism. You'll have freedom to believe what you want and make your own mindset, and the opportunity to remain as an atheist.
I was serious, although many of the repliers weren't and my tone was a little off. I'll consider that since it sounds like it is likely a better option.
:iconstripedpower:
StripedPower Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012   Digital Artist
You're the first person I've met that wants to change his beliefs out of boredom. :p
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student Photographer
I just hope you're joking around to have a little fun... :fingerscrossed:
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Sick of a dull lifestyle? Wish you had a little more excitement in your daily routine? Have an itchy feeling you would enjoy killing things?

Look no further! Become a Ninjaist today, and receive a free possessed katana, courtesy of the five headed frog demon I slaughtered a week ago! Sharper than your basic sword, and possibility of mind control, allowing you to sit back and relax as your body does the work for you!

But wait, there's more! Convert now, and you will receive a fifteen piece suriken set! This set was made from the bones of a planet dragon that our sect stopped from swallowing the moon yesterday! Supply is limited so convert now! That's the possessed katana and the fifteen piece suriken set, all absolutely free! Become a Ninjaist today!
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
What kind of things do you find plausible? Eg regarding god/s, universe substance and origin, meaning of life, etc? What do you know about various religions, what do you agree with, if anything? Why do you feel a need for religion, is it spirituality, belonging, entertainment, ritual, security?
:iconeldingagunman:
EldingaGunman Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Llamanist! The Great lama in the sky is a forgiving, loving being who embrace all decent people except for religious people who tries to convert a Llamanist in an aggressive way. It is a great offense against the Holy Llama to try and take one of His followers away from him. Thus, if someone tries to convert me, and continue to do this even if I tell them it is an offense against my God, I must throw a water balloon in their face to sooth the anger of the Heavenly Llama. I do this out of consideration for their souls! Otherwise, the Great Llama would send their souls to hell when they die, and I do not think it would be ethical of me to overlook this fact. It is not their fault that they are ill informed and blind, after all.

I also feel a slight inclination to start a church in the name of Ormagöden. That would be sort of awesome.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Tired of feeling like you actually have to ascribe to an idiotic, often misogynistic, fairly barbaric, and most of all socially unbending laws? Don't know what deities to pray to? Not to worry, we don't have a set code of laws or any gods to pray to. Nor do we have any leaders, priests, churches, or sacred books and traditions. You read that right; no longer would you have to get up at 9 AM on Sunday to go to a temple to spend 3 hours listening to a person speak on nothing in particular that basically teaches you to treat others nicely, while being told to worship a stolen Canaanite war god.

Afterlife? Make of it what you want; as its not up to us to decide for you. Civil Unions? Marry who you want. We would at least prefer that you stayed within the same species, however.

Asking others to join us? We aren't technically affiliated with any religion. If you do attempt to convert others, do so peacefully, and do not try to push it onto the ignorant.

As it was, the dearest hope that you consider Atheism as it is.
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
Will you accept the unknowable alien God into your life today?
I'm not converting today. I'm just really lost about this and didn't know where to start so I posted here.
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
Might I suggest this as a possible starting point? [link]
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist
Start with what you actually believe, for one thing. Do research on anything/everything, and if you find something that you find believable/agreeable (and for good reason, please), then roll with it.
:iconlyteside:
lyteside Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
What are you seeking? Unboredom? What might that look like?
:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Just... worship God? You don't have to go to the church, listen to pope or do weird stuff. Be a good person and it will reward you in every religion ^^

God doesn't care how will you call Him, or how many hours you will spend in a church.

It's not any named religion, but I base it on logical thinking. Why would God prefer the say-ers over do-ers? In every religion, they will tell you that it's important to listen to them. But honestly- buck them. God gave you free will and the ability to think rationally for a reason, didn't He?
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
God doesn't care how will you call Him, or how many hours you will spend in a church.

That sounds like a dogma to me. Perhaps you should start a movement...

It's not any named religion, but I base it on logical thinking. Why would God prefer the say-ers over do-ers? In every religion, they will tell you that it's important to listen to them. But honestly- buck them. God gave you free will and the ability to think rationally for a reason, didn't He?

Consider that most churches -- Christian churches, anyway -- regard their dogma, or at least the underlying kerygma, as on the level of an observed fact. It may be a "revealed" truth instead, but THEY see it as just as basic. Is it logical or rational to reject a fact in favor of your preferred philosophy?

And if you reject all such kerygma, how do you arrive at the idea of one God with the attributes you assign to him? Surely not by reason alone.
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Start a movement? That would contradict my beliefs. I don't want to tell people what to do, I want people to think for themselves instead of listening and obeying without a second thought.

Yeah, but the dogma of a religion is not an observed fact, or truth, since it's not proven. If you want to call something a fact, you need to give a proof for it. So I'm not rejecting any facts, I'm building my point of view according to them.

I'm not rejecting them as a whole, I deny the statements that are clearly faulty. The truth is, you can't be 100% sure about who is God, and what is He like, but there are some things that you can deduce.
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
but there are some things that you can deduce.

My point is that this is not true, but you're refusing to see it by not even attempting to examine your OWN assumptions. Oh well.
All right, so what is 'not true' in here? ^^
That you can deduce ANYTHING about God in the absence of all revelation.
It's not that I can deduce ANYTHING like 'whatever I want', but anything meaning 'certain things'.
I mean anything at all. I really don't care about the particulars of your private dogma.
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: