November 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 137

Your Favorite Quotes!

:iconryanhaas:
RyanHaas Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Hey Guys
You can post your favorite quotes here and tell us, how it helped you in special situations or why you like it!
The only Rule:
:bulletpurple: You can post more than one quote, but please write a separate comment for each quote!

For example:
"It's never too late to be who you might have been."
This is one of my favorite quotes because it happened so often in my life. I guess everyone wants to be someone different sometimes and I did this two times in my live and now I feel like I'm more like myself.

I'm looking forward to read your favorite quotes and some interesting stories!
Have Fun!
~Ryan

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconadamkass:
AdamKass Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional General Artist
And another:

"The world isn't rendered in black and white,
Other shades lie between.
Don't view the world with binary eyes,
We are Human, not Machine."

- "Binary", Assemblage 23
:iconhotaru-suzume:
Hotaru-Suzume Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012   General Artist
Do not weep; do not wax indignant. Understand.
— Baruch Spinoza

and [link]
:iconclefj:
ClefJ Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A few really awesome ones here that I mightn't top off, but here's a nice one.

"Be an example to your men, in your duty and in private life. Never spare yourself, and let the troops see that you don't in your endurance of fatigue and privation. Always be tactful and well-mannered and teach your subordinates to do the same. Avoid excessive sharpness or harshness of voice, which usually indicates the man who has shortcomings of his own to hide."
- Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
:iconabeautiful-world:
abeautiful-world Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
maybe I am just a little fucked up
Maybe life's just a little fucked up.

Slim Shady (Eminem)

Just a silly quick lyric in a song designed to offend however if you think about it
it kind of explains itself we tend to assume people that act different to what we expect as a society are messed up/ crazy e.t.c

however maybe life's the crazy messed up thing maybe we aren't meant to all follow the same paths in life . maybe some of us are meant to stand out for good or bad.

:iconcercan:
Cercan Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
If you're going through hell, keep going.
-Winston Churchill

I like this one. It means if you are in a bad time, you probably wont get out of it unless you keep going.
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional General Artist
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
- the Buddha.

While I exchanged my true pursuit of enlightment for my current relationship, Buddhism's got me through a plenty.
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
the quote from Marie Currie: nothing in life is to be feared. it is only to be understood. now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.
:iconveronicarockstrom:
veronicarockstrom Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
"Be careful what you pretend to be, because you are what you pretend to be." -Kurt Vonnegut. I think it's pretty self explanitory.
Also, not to cheapen this great quote, but I could write a whole paper about this and it's expression in Mean Girls. :P

"Cruelty, like every other vice, requires no motive outside of itself; it only requires opportunity." -George Elliott
Why the human race sucks.

"It's the moral copout of the century to go out of your way not to filter anything based on moral content because of "free speech"." -Josh Blume This qute is actually direct from one of dA's own. Until I read this, I wasn't sure how to express my disgust for most people on the internet.
RyanHaas Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
beautiful quotes! :)
:iconmikel-kun:
Mikel-kun Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"
-William Shakespeare
RyanHaas Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Well, that's just true! :)
Awesome quote!
AdamKass Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional General Artist
Continuing with the wisdom and poetry of music:

"I will walk this ground forever
And stand guard against your name
I will give all I can offer
I will shoulder all the blame
I am sentry to you now
All your hopes and all your dreams
I will hold you to the light
That's what Forever means."

- "Forever", Bruderschaft
RyanHaas Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
That's pretty nice :)
I like it!
:iconnaruto-ii:
Naruto-II Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
"It takes courage to kill yourself, but sometimes, even more courage is needed to continue living."
Unfortunately, I forgot who wrote this. It's from Dutch writer, but I can't remember who...

"Now what else is the whole life of mortals, but a sort of comedy in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each ones part until the manager walks them off the stage?"
- Erasmus

"Children begin by loving their parents. As they grow older they judge them, sometimes they forgive them"
- Oscar Wilde
Because I have reached the stage where one starts to judge... No doubt I will forgive, though

"sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters"
-Stephen King

"Love all, trust a few, do harm to none"
-William Shakespeare
A wonderful motto in life. A good advice for those who DO harm others.

And last but definitely not least:
"Try not. Do, or do not."
-Yoda
RyanHaas Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I like them all! :)
Especially the first one! It's a great quote :)
:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
'All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking. '
'Stupidity is a talent for misconception. '
'Nobody dies a virgin, because in the end, life fcks us all.'
Life F*cks us all..?! :D
Well, I'm just laughing right now.
I guess it's true but it depends on the situatuion though.. Sometimes life's just great and some other time it f*cks us ^^
Nice quotes =P
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Thank you. Nice thread, by the way ^^ I just got some new quotes that I had on a tip of my tongue earlier, dunno if I can spam xD
haha, you can post as much quotes as you want! :D
Feel free to comment :P
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
The quote I want to be true

'everything is alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.
RyanHaas Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Oh, I love this quote! :)
It's one of my favorites as well :)
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I so hope it's true.
:iconlyteside:
lyteside Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
There is beauty here...
RyanHaas Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I'm sure it is. ;)
(1 Reply)
:iconlyteside:
lyteside Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
"Joy (in my sense) has indeed one characteristic, and one only, in common with [Happiness & Pleasure]; the fact that anyone who has experienced it will want it again. Apart from that, and considered only in its quality, it might almost equally well be called a particular kind of unhappiness or grief. But it is a kind we want. I doubt whether anyone who has tasted it would ever, if both were in his power, exchange it for all the pleasures in the world. But then Joy is never in our power and pleasure often is." - C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis' quote on Joy (or Sehnsucht as he sometimes refers to it) has been very potent in describing this rare, fleeting feeling I've wrestled with all my life. It is a stabbing pain and longing that I carry with me - of constantly longing for something far away and further out. I find myself seeking it in my life (I serve it in a way). It is even part of the reason I am a believer - trusting that God is the source of it, and in the "having of him" he will be generous to leave always more of him to have... to long for.

It is my most valuable experience in this life, along with hope. :)
Very well said!
It's a nice experience & an awesome quote! :)
Thanks for sharing!
:iconel-and-noxi:
El-and-Noxi Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist
''Live and let live.''
Because I hate when people don't understand the difference between exchanging opinions and enforcing them.
RyanHaas Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Yeah I see that point & I agree!
Nice Quote! :)
:iconevilqueenm:
EvilQueenM Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student Artist
"You are born an artist or you are not. And you stay an artist, dear, even if your voice is less of a fireworks. The artist is always there. "
Maria Callas
"Vengeance is a lazy form of grief"
Nicole Kidman
"Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence."
Leonardo da Vinci
"If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.”
Hermann Hesse, Demian
“Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.”
― Hermann Hesse

cheers
Beautiful quotes!
It's a really nice choice! :)
Thank your for sharing them ;)
:icontotally-dead:
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
"The only certainty is uncertainty." American philosopher, who is lost to the internet, time and my fruitless searches.
Nice one :)
Thank you for sharing ;)
AdamKass Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional General Artist
As most of my favorite quotes tend to come from music...

"If I could change your mind
I wouldn't save you from the path you wander
In desperation dreams any soul can set you free
And I still hear you scream
In every breath
In every single motion
Burning innocence is the fire that set you free"

-"Chrome", VNV Nation
Awesome!
Just Breathtaking! I Love this quote :)
Thank you for sharing it!
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My favourite quotes are in my signature ;-)
:D How funny!
I like all of them. :D
So you wanna capture a smurf? Did you ever see one? :D
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Only on TV, but its fun just annoying them on DA, Twitter and Facebook...He,he,he ;-)
yaa i see what you mean :) :D
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well someone's got to be 'Gargamel' :-)
haha :D Exactly :)
:iconnephenee:
Nephenee Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
" The beginning of the word of the Lord by Hosea. And the Lord said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the Lord." Hosea 1:2, KJV. :meow: I just like the fact that it uses the word whoredom three times.

Also:

"Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." --The Dread Pirate Roberts, "The Princess Bride"
That quotes are just cool :D
Pretty nice! Thank you for sharing! :)
:iconnephenee:
Nephenee Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
:bow: Terry Pratchett has a ton of good quotes too, but those are my favorite.
:iconbrainninja11:
brainninja11 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student General Artist
"You can't foresee all the consequences of your actions, but that's no excuse to do nothing."

This quote is by Hal Jordan (Green Lantern), and I find it to be worthy enough of being my DA signature. As someone who tends to over think a lot of choices and what they may lead to, it is worth remembering that sometimes you have to act, because doing nothing can sometimes be worse for the situation.

"Light a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Light a man ON fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

I just find this funny. Dark humor is the best, no?

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish."

Once again, just a quote that I find hilarious. I guess christians won't, but it's still funny.
Oh the first one is very nice! ;)
I understand why you like it :)
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
Here are a few I have enjoyed over the years.

“What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.”
― Salman Rushdie
As someone who often misplaces the filter between my brain and my mouth I find myself insulting and offending those around me. I have been told that I am vulgar, rude, and every other possible description in the English language as well as a few other languages. In the end, though, your right to speak freely and my freedom to offend you are one and the same.

“A poet's work . . . to name the unnamable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world and stop it from going to sleep.”
― Salman Rushdie
It's up to those who write to have something to say. It's our right to incite inspiration and outrage with the same words. Let's fuel an enlightenment, let's start a riot.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
The freedom to choose what you want to believe is a basic human right. Believe a particular theology? That's absolutely fine. Don't believe in anything higher than yourself? That's equally fine. What's most important for both sides is to present the proper evidence. 'Because I said so.' was fine when it came from my parents and I was five. That is no longer the case. If a person insists on making statements that have no evidence, I will continue to dismiss it as meaningless drivel.

“My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line, and kiss my ass.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My opinion is my own and I am fine with it. The opinions others have about my opinions are meaningless to me. Does that make me sound like an insufferable prick to you? You're not alone.

“There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.”
― Frank Zappa
Zappa got it right. There are no 'bad' or 'dirty' words. There is only ignorance that the people who promote it.

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face."
- Frank Zappa
Because telling someone exactly what you think of what they have to say is fucking hilarious.

Sorry this was so long. These are really only a couple from some interesting people that I happen to enjoy.
RyanHaas Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Ohh A lot of nice quotes!
You can share as much quotes as you want, there's no need to be sorry! :)
Thank you for sharing your favorite quotes :)
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
I appreciate it. I may take a quick peruse through my files and see if anything pops out at me.
:iconcaitybee:
Caitybee Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
"Bite me." - my quote, I use it every time someone says something sarcastic that I don't exactly agree with lol, usually I say it to my boyfriend, but gotta watch it since he takes it literally XD hahaha. :la:
:icontotally-dead:
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Bite me.
Add a Comment: