Closed to new replies
November 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 128

What is the truth?

:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Where is the origin of truth? What does truth derive from? We claim to tell the truth, to prove things to be true by evidence, but what is that, or are those, which cannot be questioned to be true without any explanation or further proof? Where does truth appear in our experiences?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconi-am-a-retro-lass:
i-am-a-retro-lass Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
truth cannot be defined because it cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law, in my opinion. it is only in the future evolution of the human brain as it connects to a global biological neural network that will finally reveal the truth behind profiles on the artificial www. Maybe future MRI scanners and lie detectors will be good enough one day to knowwho is lying and who is telling the truth.....see my article for more [link]
:iconpieaceofmind:
pieaceOfmind Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Student Artist
to me truth is expressing to the best of ones ability, and as accurately as possible whatever it is their talking about. to barrow from ken white lion, if i see the sky as purple i am telling the truth. if you see it as blue then you are telling the truth. different answers but both factual. so i guess theirs variables in truth according to my lame interpretation. i try to keep it simple, black and white gives all the contrast you need.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Relativism is not a truth, it's an observation.
how do you find a truth, in science you observe and look for repetition to prove your truth. to have a truth you first need a subject to prove, you first need something relative to have a truth. i know im probably completely wrong so in all fairness pleas explain your point im kinda confused.
Relativism cannot be assimilated into the scientific method, therefore it formulates nothing.
Hypothesis is never relative.
i think you can only have a truth so long you have a perceivable reality. i think reality is interpretive because of the inconsistency of biology and the five senses. therefore i think their is no truth, because interpretation is hypothesis.

what is truth anyways, is truth the absolute end of something? the all its gonna be?

truth is a limiter, with no truth comes endless possibility. i think therefor i am.

i know i know nothing, i know no one els can tell me the truth.

knowing this i dont want to dictate, or corrupt others minds with dogma. so i try to suggest my idea as one possibility, while learning from what the other has to offer. piecing together my reality.
Truth is perfection.
what if theirs no "perfection" only progress?
Good question. I don't know the answer.
(1 Reply)
:iconward-san:
ward-san Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
"In case you believe that." - Chuck Norris :trollface:

But seriously, that is a rather interesting idea.
To be honest, I think the truth is right in front of us. The real question is what is the most accurate way to express it conceptually without implying assumptions? The problem with expressing concepts linguistically is that words have implicit connotations which can lead to assumptions.
"To be honest, I think the truth is right in front of us."

Naive realism.
"The problem with expressing concepts linguistically is that words have implicit connotations which can lead to assumptions."

You just proved my point.
That is assuming that you do have a point.
I was just trying to get at patterns in concepts being the real truth, as opposed to what the propositions actually are.
Truth is a stripper with her clothes on.
(1 Reply)
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
One has a gut sense of how a thing should be. Maybe this feeling has something to do with it? The pure essence one knows, buried under the guise of the flawed object?
I recently read a scientific article which suggested that the reason diatonic music sounds good is because the notes imitate the frequencies of the vowels in our speech/voice. To me this implies that aesthetics can be both innate and nurtured; "neurons that fire together wire together." If the "truth" is the representation of the state of our environment and being neurologically, then I think truth could be arbitrary to and therefore universally nonexistent...
:iconabeautiful-world:
abeautiful-world Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
Truth is when you and the people your addressing all believe what your saying because the facts seem to be strong.

However you have to consider that people thought things like the world is flat was an absolute truth.

so really all humans do is trick one another into believing thing's when really no one knows the truth!
:iconkenny-white-lion:
Kenny-White-Lion Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
If one sees the sky as blue and another sees it as purple who is telling the truth? Lol.
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The truth is that no-one knows the truth.
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
Truth is nothing but what the majority of society managed to convince to the minority. The reality is usually much different than the truth illusion.
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So, you define truth as commonly approved assumption? Alright, then treat my question like this:

What is that, or are those, which cannot be questioned to be real without any explanation or further proof? Where does reality appear in our experiences?
Ah you mean that way. Well there is no truth to speak of really. Language or the speech function itself is probably unable to describe it if it exists. There are rules. Like the physics rules. The things that happen inside the context of these rules happen on the physical dimension. But it doesnt mean they are proven. The only realisy is our senses. We have more senses than the 5 ones too. But the concept of proof itself is only about percetion. A blind, deaf, paralysed, tasteless, smelless person wouldnt need proof about anything in his internal world.
We could also say that senses extend one's consciousness, and driving this thought further, that an action one commits has more reality in it than the perception one receives as a result.
True but you dont know what action you are doing if you cant percieve it. Therefore we foreignize our own actions this way though.
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
I read somewhere that negation is a tool used to reach absolute truth (in Buddhism). Negation is supposed to be superior tool than affirmation (though I'm too rusty with my philosophy to remember why). :confused: The book also mentioned conventional truth.
This is also a fundamental idea of Advaita Vedanta Hinduism, which teaches that the (illusion of a) world is based on āvidyā (unknowing, lack of knowledge).
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
I think I read about Advaita Vedanta Hinduism in a thesis by T.R.V. Murti. Have you read "The Central Philosophy of Buddhism; A Study of the Madhyamika System"? I should get back into reading that stuff. I miss it.
I'm not deeply into Buddhism yet, but I'll ask around if anyone has it here. :D Thanks!
:iconroycura:
RoyCura Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
There is truth in mathematics.
Indeed it seems so: [link] [link]

However, possession of truth is not the same as the very being of truth, thus you haven't answered the topic question yet.
:iconroycura:
RoyCura Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I suppose you can say that mathematical principles are truth, and by understanding them we possess bits of truth. Truth doesn't need to be concrete. The mathematical patterns/principles will continue to exist in the universe and govern natural law, even after human thought dies out.
Flagged as Spam
And those are very profound words indeed. However, if I find these true... why do I do so?
:iconafter--life:
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Truth is explained by signs and miracles.

In an analogy between truth and falsehood.

Falsehood is like the foam at the bottom of a waterfall. It stays for awhile, then it disappears further along in the river.

The truth is like the water, it will continue to flow and be joined by other bodies of water.
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student Photographer
I don't know. But its possible that some things that we perceive as "true" right now really may not be.
:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Truth is a sum of facts.
What are facts then?
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
Facts are the parts of reality. In other words, reality is a sum of facts.
Truth is a sum of facts AND
Reality is a sum of facts AND
Facts are the parts of reality.

THUS

Reality is the sum of all facts AND
Truth is a sum of parts of reality.

THUS

Truth is EITHER a part of OR the same as reality.

WHICH COULD BE EXPRESSED AS

truth ∈ reality OR truth ≡ reality
(∈ = element of, ≡ = equivalent to, is)

IN OTHER WORDS

Reality either contains truth, or is the whole of truth.

HOWEVER

What makes this logical argument true? I can see that it is true, but why do I see it that way?
'What makes this logical argument true?' Definitions. When you say 'truth' you mean something that is true, something that can be described as 'fitting the reality', like '2+2 is 4', or 'I'm breathing right now'. As a matter of fact you can even say that fact=truth, but that would be a simplification and a bit of a grammar mistake (some people tend to mix facts and something that they call 'truths', but it all depends on the meaning of the word 'truth'.)

And why do you see it that way? Because you know what words 'truth' and 'reality' mean.
But this is what we are looking for: the meaning of Truth. The word is just a symbolic reference to what it means anyway. And this is our exact problem. What is the proper use of this word? What is the 'true' or 'real' meaning of truth (and reality, as the two seem to overlap)?

Also, what is knowledge without the quality of truth? A mere belief, an unfounded, blind assumption, so it seems.
The meaning of 'truth'-> truth is nothing more but a 'pack' of facts. It is actually the word used to describe the parts of reality. Example-> in reality, there is a force called gravity. Truth- gravity exists. Fact- gravity exists. Difference- facts can be counted (one fact, 2 facts), whereas there is just one truth, because it covers the whole reality.
Reality can be weird. For example, are the thoughts of another person real?
(1 Reply)
:iconstripedpower:
StripedPower Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012   Digital Artist
Evidence and proof are subject to perception.

I don't have much to say.
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
It sounds like you're talking about absolute certainty, facts that are indisputably true and above opinion. That reminds me of a joke, "a philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything." And that pretty well says what I think about absolute certainty: it doesn't exist.
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That is an interesting joke, if a philosopher really gives thought to it.
Add a Comment: