How ELSE would you know?

A lot of creationists will cite the Bible as their proof that the Earth and universe are only 6,000 years old, that everything was specially created by Yahweh, and so on and so forth. But let's say (for the sake of argument) that the Bible was never written. How then, creationists, would you know about what it contains? Without the Bible, how else would you know the ages of the Earth and the universe? How else would you know the identity of the creator, its method of creation or the order in which everything was created? How else would you know about the first man and first woman and their "fall from grace"? How ELSE would you know about what the Bible contains, without actually using the Bible?
Comments207
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Did they know how to write and make books 6000 years ago?
Some cultures during that time period could read and write, but Israel wasn't among them just yet. The Hindu Vedas were completed long before the Bible even got started.
Exactly, and I don't think the Jews (because that's what it was, right? correct me if I'm wrong!) bade the Hindus for help when they wanted to write all those stories down.
They insist the Bible is the literal word of god, so they don't question it? Anyway, god itself is a tautology so I can't see them being bothered by this one :p
The problem is freaks will believe anything except the stuff with mountains of information and data supporting it.

That's why you have birthers, creationists, 9/11 truthers, and alien abduction people.

It's easier to grab onto something that has some kind of emotional meaning to you as opposed to getting off your ass and actually learning about the universe around you and understand and accepting how small and insignificant you are.

In order to be a creationist you must, by rule, be a liar. That's the only you can be a creationist.
First you deny the reality of the situation (ie the Earth is not 6k old) and then you lie to support your pathetic position. That's where psuedoscience like ID comes in.
I have to agree. As AronRa once said, "To be a creationist, you don't need to know anything about anything, and it's better if you don't."

Quick question: What are birthers?
Late reply is late.

Birthers are people who think that President Obama is not a natural-born citizen of the USA and therefore he should not be President.
Pray with me, DOTB18. "I forgive the dolts, for they are dolts."
And may they find rationality and logic on their journey through this one life.
Eh, I try to be optimistic.

...Kind of hard, though, all things considered.
Optimism is a forlorn hope, they called it humanism before everyone kicked the shit out of it.
Yeah, how would you know that God is sitting under the circle of the earth...How would we know about the moon, stars and other planets in the universe. How do we know the moon was appointed for seasons or how do we know 24 hours is a day. How do we know, there is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars for one star different from another star in glory. How would we know that there will be wars and rumours of wars. How would we know nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. How we would know for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. How, we would know that there will be time of the end, after the great tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken. How would we know, that all these are the beginning of sorrows.

How, would we know they shall deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you and you shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. How, then would you know many will be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. How would you know, many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. How would you know or even have any clue, because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. How would you even know that some people will endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. How, we would know, what are the sign of the end, if Christ didn't give us the clue, that the Gospel has to be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations and then shall the end come....
Lots and lots of questions, and not a single question mark. What a fine example of grammar usage.

Half of the stuff you're talking about is not derived purely from the Bible (if you want to know about the moon and stars, look up at the night sky with a telescope once in a while) and the other half is just Revelations hoo-ha.
Yeah, in the bible, God said that He created the stars, moon, planets, and the whole universe, etc. You can look up the stars all night long, but still you would not have a clue how it got there in the beginning. How else would you know?
Until about the early (90's?) the Catholic church did not accept the fact that the entire universe didn't revolve around our planet an it was only a few decades earlier that they accpeted that the stars were not just crystal spheres floating in the sky. (And you would know how it got there from science... like we already have....)
Actually, it's God who revolves around the earth and He know exactly what your about to do...
What makes you think that earth is so unique? We are only one of 8 planets in our solar system that is one of billions that makes up our galaxy that makes up one of billions of galaxies that make up the universe. And if in your beliefs he (i find it interesting that the Christian god is a man) knows what I, or anyone else is about to do, why does that matter? Why does he not stop someone who is about to murder someone else? Or stop me from saying I don't believe in God? Because if a god has no active influence in the world then what is the point of worshipping him? "prayer healing" patients with deadly illnesses die 8/9 times while those who undergo medical care with/without prayer are only limited by the cost of the care? Why would you worship someone who would let you die even if you followed every single word in the Bible? (Which is 98% written by man)
Because, God creation is very important for him, he watches everything we do on this planet earth. Of course, He does it to other being He created out there in the universe. He also, gave us a free will to choose, whether if it is good or evil. So, yes, God doesn't force anyone to worship him or He would not stop you from not believing in Him. So, yeah we have doctors and God who gave them wisdom and knowledge who can cure us by asking God to help and guide them, so that we can be cured. So, prayer do help, if you're faith can move a mountain...The Bible do promised, prayers can move mountains. Only, if you really believed and have faith in God.
View all replies
There is no obvious epistemological replacement to the "revealed truth" epistemology of most religions [link] . Or at least, I have never seen one.

Certainly, the common epistemological tendencies, [link] would all fail you if you did not have a revealed truth in the form of one or another sacred text to use as a reference for your religious beliefs. The epistemological tendency known as the Scientific method would also not lead you to any conclusions. This, as a matter of details, is often cited as the reason why Pascal's wager is inherently flawed.

In any case, this brings us back to the "leap of faith" [link]. Without a leap of faith, it is not possible to accept religious dogma, or any supernatural belief as truth.

If you are interested in this, you might want to familiarize yourself with epistemology.

VE.
So where in the bible does it say the world is 6000 years old? oh yeah it doesnt,

Just another atheist making stuff up.
macker33, you are either very ignorant or very cunning.
Actually, the earth is about 13,000 years old, from the day of the flood of Noah, was 4990 B.C. = 6,000 years. Then, God says, for yet (seven days), and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth...(Genesis 7:4). In another words, after 6,000 years passed, then God will destroy this earth after 7,000 years, which equal to 13,000 years of the ages of the earth. Where, God again will destroy this world, like in the days of Noah, they were eating, drinking and giving marriages...etc. Remember God says, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. We read this truth in the book 2 Peter 3:3-8.

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts. And saying, where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water. Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished. But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day....2 Peter 3:3-8."