Christian View of homosexuals. I hope this does not sound rude or ignorant, but I don`t understand

Please enlighten me!

Why is it that many of Christians are against homosexuals?
Obviously not all denominations (I hope I used that word correctly....) are against homosexuals. I also realize that not all individuals, even when the practice the religion the condemns the homosexuals, do not always hate gay people.

I only attended Bible school for one week over summer when I was young, so any of my knowledge is limited and mostly based on what I learned in history class.
I think that homosexuals were condemned in the Old Testament, right?
But didn`t Jesus challenge some of that kind of stuff in the New Testament?

I never understood the lack of support for these people from the Christians because I have always heard, "God loves everyone" and that even when we sin, God doesn`t love you less (I remember that because they asked us once if our parents loved us less when we misbehaved). Also, isn`t hate a sin? So by being against those people (I have a friend who is Christian, she says she hates gays and transgenders. She said they don`t deserve rights she specifically said that she wanted Romney in office just because he would take those kinds of actions) and hating them, doesn`t that make them sinners, too?

Anyways, thanks for reading and I would love a response. I truly am curious, I really don`t mean to step on any toes or anything. I just never quite understood......

Oh, just found this!
"Those who commit the sin of laying with another man are guilty of being an abomination, and they shall be forever in the company of Satan when they finally get scrubbed off of Jesus' earth." - Leviticus 31:22

Is that really it, then? Just one quote with now reason behind it? No explanation as to why?
I get a lot of the other sins. For exampl
Gluttony is bad becuase it is wasteful and greedy, understandable
Theft is taking something that another worked hard to gain, definitely bad
Envy leads to theft, so I see why that is condemned
but I don`t see the homosexual thing....
Comments432
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
God is viewed as the creator of life, pro procreation
Homosexuals are viewed as being against procreation by their observable nature

So some theists have issue with homosexuals and view them going against nature itself.

What those theists do not comprehend, homosexuals:

That have blood related offspring from past marriages that did not work out (considering they figured out the hard way they are gay)
That raise unwanted children
That do sperm donor injections to have kids

So in reality they are not at all against procreation.

I work for a lesbian couple and they have grandchildren.
Keep in mind that the Bible was written centuries after the actual conception of the story of "Jesus", by several different authors throughout Europe and the Middle East. These were Bronze Aged people who at the time believed the world was flat and that the plagues they contracted due to complete ignorance of hygienic practices was "God" punishing them. Many people forget that the Bible and the stories within them were created by men to control a population that was largely clueless of the world they lived in. In order to regulate the behavior of people at that time, they had to instill rules reinforced by fear for people to take anything that was written seriously.

Homosexuality is present in nearly every species on Earth. Think of it as a natural form of population control. Many people just use their religious views as justification for their own discomfort and misinformation.

I think people really need to consider that if they choose to call themselves "Christians", that they can't just cherry-pick whatever portions of the Bible they want and disregard the blatant atrocities it's riddled with. For something that threatens you with "Hell" if you don't follow it's specific teachings, you would think more people would be mindful of what teachings and practices they associate themselves with.
That has been brought up and is definitely a good point.

It is VERY common, so when people make claims that it is 'unnatural', they are just plain ignorant. Many people use that as a reason, but it just makes them look foolish. Never thought of it as being population control, intresting way to think about it :D

I totally agree. I do not have a religious affiliation, but when I see other people say 'Oh, I`m (insert religion here)' and then they get all offended because someone 'disrespects their religion', but then these same people don`t follow many of the rules of the religion that they had defended so strongly just a few moments before. Often times, the comment was not even meant to be rude or hurtful. I feel like it is disrespectful to the people who truly follow the religion (and the religion itself) to not fully belief or practice it correctly and still say they are religious.
Hi, I'm a Christian.
I don't know if anyone mentioned this already...(I don't want to read 14 pages of comments) but in Christianity, marriage is actually a symbol of Jesus and the Church (Christians). Jesus is like the husband and the Church is like the wife--the husband protects and loves the wife and the wife follows and respects her husband. There can't be two husbands or two wives--it doesn't make sense. Also, when God created the world, he created one man, and one woman and they were the ideal example of marriage. One woman, one man. (When you read the parts of the Bible where a man had more than one wife, there was always problems.)
:XD: That is understandable~

A lot of that had been mentioned already, but thanks for the input anyways :D
In the Bible it says god created man and woman. Also not be any relationships of homosexuality. Enough says in the Bible to make a lot of christian's believe gay is a sin. Which causes hate and things like that. I respect homosexuals because, they are simply people who like a different gender I don't see anything wrong with that.

It is also good of you to respect them :)
Even the Christians should not hate them, mostly because hating something, even though it is against there religion, is against their religion ;)
Your welcome. :) And yes respect to everyone and there is less hate. ^^
People hate what they don't understand and use anything they possibly can to justify it. Their religion is just among the long list of excuses that people use in order to say "I have a right to hate your guts!" when in reality, no excuse should justify that level of absolute hatred and fear.

Simply put, it's human nature to hate things, homosexuals or otherwise. It's disgusting, but it happens.

It is a shame, though, huh?
Consider the fact that it's more likely than not and that I also lack the time to go through the replies to make sure I'm making a unique one. =P
Totally understandable~
Just wanted to make sure you knew that I appreciate that you took the time to answer :)
I agree with you alright. But meh, not my problem.
Truth is, it is your problem. It's everyones problem. There will always be someone who hates your guts for seemingly no reason or hate your guts for one part of your personality. Inevitably, you will do that to someone else as well.
Well, even if someone hates my guts for whatever reason, it's usually not my problem and I don't care.
Yes, because you're invulnerable to everything. :roll:
I think he's trying to be cool or something. I don't know. But he just ends up making a fool of himself :stare:
It's an example of someone who never grew out of the "I'm invincible" phase, methinks.
How it is a person hate me or the contrary love me should be any of my concerns?
You need to wake up. You do realize that people get _killed_ out in the real world, right?
View all replies
Obvious. If a lot of people hate you, then there's a larger risk that one of them is willing to kill you.
View all replies
people just use their religion to justify their hate mongering. why would you want to learn more about that book anyways? seem odd to me.
Well, the whole issue seems odd to me. I like to learn and this seemed worth learning about. Homosexuality is an issue in the country. It had an effect on this past election I think. Not to mention, countless kids are bullied because of it (not saying that the bullying is because of religious reasons...).

Learning about this gives more insight on one side of this story.
The hatred might have it's origin in bible passages but in this case and all cases outside of it - I've noticed the same. It is just much easier to hate and fear something you don't understand than it is to undertake the process of seeing from their point of view. It is also not taught to children that they can come to understand and appreciate reasoning behind other schools of logic but not agree with them at the same time.