Details

Closed to new replies
November 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

Paranormal Witness Episode

:iconhte-1-hsaman:
I can't stand that show because I don't know how embellished their stories are.
But one episode gave me some food for thought; it's this one about Keith Williams, this dude who supposedly encounters a werewolf. Anyways, on the episode, the man who was supposedly a werewolf, wrote these symbols on a tire. I saw the symbols used on the show, and recognized them as old runic symbols.But I don't know if those were the actual symbols that the supposed werewolf had written on Keith's tire. Now, this is one of those shows where it is supposed to be real; they interview real people who have supposedly had real paranormal experiences - but I take all these stories with less than a grain of salt, especially because I know these kinds of shows like to embellish the stories. But it got me thinking, and these questions came up:

1) I know that many of the early settlers whose decendents became many of today's country folk were Celtic pioneers from Ireland or Scotland, and I have heard of the idea that some of their early communities may have brought back bits of the old Celtic prechristian religion. I wonder if it is likely that maybe a few families here and there out in the country in America may still be into some of these old beliefs or some of the old Druidic practices - not the New Age-ified modern forms, but maybe the real authentic traditions?

2) Were those symbols shown in that episode of Paranormal Witness the actual symbols that Keith Williams saw? If I was there, I would have copied those symbols down or photographed them or something, for them to be researched. I hope that someone here might have some knowledge to share.

3) What is the significance of the werewolf, if anyone here knows, in old prechristian Celtic beliefs?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconadamkass:
AdamKass Nov 7, 2012  Professional General Artist
Werewolves don't exist in old Celtic beliefs. Celtic faith doesn't contain animist beliefs. Werewolves are Germanic in origin (Saxon in particular, if I'm remembering correctly) and since colonization, the concept of Werewolf has been influenced by Native American animism and some versions of the legend of the Wendigo in particular.
What about those symbols? In that episode...I really want to know what exact combination of symbols the dude supposedly saw.

But what, if anything, would old, pre-Latin alphabetic European, Celtic or runic letters have to do with werewolves in America in the 1980's?
:iconadamkass:
AdamKass Nov 7, 2012  Professional General Artist
Norse is a possibility, or Saxon or any number of other cultures that used alphabets composed of linear conflagration. There really is no historical accuracy to the idea the the Celts used a Runic alphabet. There's evidence to suggest that they borrowed the Greek alphabet. Ogham, the only known actual Celtic alphabet, has only been found in association with grave sites/markers and bears no resemblance to what most people would call Runes. Those symbols could've just been a Hodge-podge and meaningless. Or they could've been a recipe for chicken noodle soup. I'd have to see them to tell.

Runes have nothing to do with Werewolves. It's actually pretty compelling evidence that the whole thing is a hoax being put on by someone just slapping as much "occultism" as possible to incite superstition. Kinda like the Satanic Cult scare of the 1980's that turned out to be nothing but scare-mongering.
That's the problem; I tried finding out online if those symbols shown in the episode were the actual symbols that Kieth supposedly saw, but I could not find that information online.
Add a Comment: