Closed to new replies
November 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 109

do you ever question your faith?

:iconatlantech:
Atlantech Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
for those of you who believe in a higher power, does anything ever happen, or has happened to make you question your faith and all that you believe?

Also, do you ever feel that when some very bad shit happens to you, that your faith is being tested?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbrainninja11:
brainninja11 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student General Artist
There was a point in my life where I began to question my faith. As I slowly delved into looking for answers, I found that most of them amounted to "you just need to have faith". On the other hand, I could see that science could answer plenty of things about the world and life, and if it couldn't, then at least it gave an honest "we don't know right now". It took a little while to set in and accept this, but I became an atheist after that. And though being faithless might sound horrible, I can say that I am far happier now then I was before.
:iconlexi247:
Lexi247 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
Yes, quite occassionally
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Nope
:iconthis-chick-does-art:
This-Chick-Does-Art Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
"Faith" is meant to be tested. It's strength is measured by it's endurance regardless of the ever changing circumstances. Do note that faith isn't just believing something or someone. Faith is two parts and requires trust as well. Active reliance. I can believe Delta flights are safe, statistics show it, but I don't trust them enough personally to actively put myself on one of their flights. And where there is lack of trust, there is obviously a host of doubts and where there is doubt there is 'fear of something'.

Have I ever questioned my faith (ie. the existence of the God that I call 'Father' who forgave my shortcomings through Jesus)? No, because I've had personal experiences and been exposed to people who have trusted in God and prospered in their entire life. Have I question my faith (fulness) (ie. my trusting confidence in that God)? Yes, more times than I'd like to admit. That's what testing will do. But the more I come to know my faith, the less of a struggle my faithfulness has when it is tested.

Nice to see a thought provoking question like this. Take care and I hope we'll both come to rely more on our maker.
Atlantech Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
interesting way of putting it.
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Student General Artist
Questioned mine and turned out ignostic. What a surprise, brah.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
every day.
:iconslimt:
SlimT Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
what question did you pose today
The truth is that no-one knows the truth.
two mirrors will not reflect each other eternally, only as long as the light will stretch
Love is fleeting, truth is eternal.
all good things come to an end
Yes, they do.
:iconda1withdalongestname:
Per your question, the answer is no. Because I never think faith to be something solid or constant.
:iconda1withdalongestname:
A good faith makes you question itself & able to answer & well explain it's point. Bad faith doesn't. It is a good thing to question your faith, you all should do that.
:iconimpoliticalsowhat:
impoliticalsowhat Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
EVERYONE questions their faith. The real question is, what do you do when your faith is tested?
(And it will be...)

That's why you need to keep your faith strong, through daily devotions. That way when the storms of life come at you, you'll be ready and not give into the whims of the moment.
Atlantech Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
my faith was tested greatly. Needless to say I stopped believing afterwards.
:iconladyzelda1:
LadyZelda1 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
So another win for Satan who shook anothers faith. Congratulations on your secession from faith.
Atlantech Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
but remember now, there is no satan or god, and certainly no heaven or hell.
Says who? What if you are wrong?
then I'm wrong :shrug:
:iconimpoliticalsowhat:
impoliticalsowhat Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
What do you believe is right?
Just because I believe something doesn't mean it's right.
(1 Reply)
:iconkaikaku:
kaikaku Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I question my doubts. Which in my case might be 'questioning my faith.'
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I question my "faith" frequently. in Buddhism, questioning our own "faith" is not only allowed, but encouraged: [link]

besides, please never think that "having faith" means "never question it". it is a propaganda spread by weak minded people
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
*it is a propaganda spread by weak minded people to control other weak minded people*
:iconmaltese101:
maltese101 Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
I did question them. And started having doubts. And I finally gave up.
So now I'm an atheist.
Atlantech Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
yeah, seems I'm heading down that road myself.
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My faith being tested? No. I am? Yes. Whose faith is "tested" by harsh times, still looks at God as something he is able to oppose: a sky-wizard or other such "thing".
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I am moderately skeptical, by the way, so I question my faith and ideas frequently.
:iconacjub:
acjub Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I did question my faith, and now I'm an Atheist. :shrug:
that seems to be the case with a lot of individuals I see.
Maybe that is a sign? :D
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Me too, pal. Me too...
:D
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional General Artist
I've lived through allot for someone my age; I'm 28.

I grew up in a non-religious, if not athiest family, and discovered my own faith when I was about 15-16 and I've believed it ever since.
I don't believe in the Bible (I think that is the greatest work of fiction created by Man) but don't knock people who do; I don't believe in any other one particular religion either. I have my own faith, in my own way, with my own personal beliefs and I don't need anyone to agree with me about them either.

I, personally, believe we're all left to live our own lives without intervention from some divine being, although I still believe one exists. So when things get hard I know there's not going to be some 'hand of god' to come down and save me, I have to do it myself and that 'good' or 'bad' is just a matter of perspective.
So, considering this, no I don't believe my faith's abandoned me when times get rough, only if I lose faith in myself, which I refuse to do.
sounds like you're pretty strong to continue on believing something like that.

And I used to be a lot like you until I ended up in a really fucked up situation with no answers even now, so I lost my faith and no longer believe in a divine being.

a person shouldn't have to suffer bullshit just to see if they still believe in faith after its over. Its fucked up and any divine being that allows such shit to happen is fucked up in my opinion.
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
I have to be strong, to still be mentally stable after all I've lived through already, although that doesn't mean it hasn't effected me and I got out unscathed. Nobody does.

I think each idividual has their own beliefs and if that's in a divine being or not is their personal choice, I respect that.

I, personally, don't believe the divine being I believe in had anything more to do with us then its part in creating the first life in the universe; after that I don't believe it's had any part in our lives or the world around us. I don't even believe it made the Earth, just the laws, physics and particals that started it, gravity and time did the rest.
I don't think it has feelings, even, so what we view as 'good' or 'bad' don't mean anything to it.

I don't worship it, I don't prey to it, I just believe it's behind the creation of the universe, its laws, and everything in it.

But that's just my belief, I don't expect anyone to understand or accept it and that's okay.
Above all else, though, I still believe in myself and so should you, that's what I think is more important. :)
:iconafter--life:
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yes, when bad stuff start happening, it is obviously a test or a trial.

Times when I do question my faith, the answer comes almost right away.

I am 100% firm in my faith, AND community.
guess I never had that much luck. I looked for answers and never got them and it's like a big fuck you.
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You sure about that?

This is how it works.

A man claims that he is very faithful in God. So God tests him. This person is unable to finish the test, and when he fails, he stops having faith in God.

So was that man really faithful in God? Of course not. This was a test, NOT for God to see, but for that man himself. So that when that man dies, God will tell that man that he was not faithful, and of course, the man will want proof, and this test of his life is enough proof that he wasn't.

Of course, we don't simply get ONE test, we get MANY many tests from the day we are born, til the day we die, as God says in the Qur'an.

Now God answers people differently for each individual. God answers you in a way where you are able to accept the answer.

For me, the answer can be in dreams, or reading verses from the Qur'an, since I am a Muslim. And I have seen many many signs and answers from him in the past year, ever since I turned to him fully.

A person who truly has faith in God, will NEVER stop believing in him, no matter WHAT difficult life he is facing, no matter how hard some goal is for him to accomplish, he will always remain faithful, and when he dies, he will be heavily rewarded.

God says in the Qur'an, "Indeed, after every trial, there is ease."

This means, after every difficult test you happen to suffer through, there will ALWAYS be peace and ease and end of suffering after that.

God will never test you beyond your capacities.

If you want God for answers, then simply have patience...that is all it takes.

One time, God answered me by giving me the note from a fortune cookie! And my jaw dropped.

It all takes faith, patience, and prayer.

THESE 3 things.

First thing is to PRAY to God, and not just once, but pray every day. But you cannot pray without faith.

You need to believe that he EXISTS. When you believe he exists, then your prayer will be effective.

After that, you need to have patience. God likes to see how LONG it takes someone until they break.

Sometimes, God KNOWS a person's true inner faith, so they get an answer immediately. Those people who are unpredictable, God wants to test their patience.

So you are basically tested in 3 ways, your faith, your patience, and your prayers.

When something difficult happens in your life, do you EVER turn to God? Do you ever pray to him, to end all that suffering?

Now next, when you do happen to pray, how much faith do you have left in him?

Sometimes, I lose my faith, and I think, 'Yeah I prayed to God, but he'll never listen.'

WRONG, because he DOES, and I've personally seen it. BUT if you do happen to lose faith, that is when God gives up on you.

Now lastly, are you patient?

Some people, their faith and prayer is SO STRONG, that they pray for YEARS and they still never lose hope. Their patience is SO STRONG, that sometimes, these people DIE without their prayers being answered in THIS WORLD, but in the next world, all that they've asked for, is right in front of them, and God is EXTREMELY happy with them, and grants them paradise, which is the best reward, out of anything.

But of course, these are only for the truly faithful.

The weak ones, God goes easy on them.

Watch this video.

[link]

THIS is what it takes.
I like that. It is the weak fence sitters who turn away and fall on the other side and break apart just like Humpty Dumpty. These people always feel "let down" because God does not kiss their ass, instead He let's them go through some trial in order to make them stronger, just like many earthly fathers do for their sons. Do you stop believing in your dad if He doesn't do what you expect him to do?
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
PERFECT analogy.

So, a child is born, alright?

And during birth, he is separated from his parents, and he grows up, and he has NEVER seen his parents once.

So one day, the guy gets up and says, MY MOTHER AND FATHER NEVER EXISTED!

Well, obviously, this is a big joke, because a male and a female is REQUIRED to create HIM, (his biological parents), so even though he NEVER seen his parents, they STILL EXIST, otherwise, he wouldn't be just born out of thin air.

We all know that whatever that guy said is ridiculous.

The guy might say, 'give me proof I had a mom/dad.'

Well, all we have to say is, 'You are standing right here, that is all the proof you need to know that you had a mom and a dad.'

Works the same with God.

WE HUMANS are HERE, living in this EARTH. This is pretty much ALL the proof one needs, that there is some intelligent being out there, that DESIGNED it all.

Because think about it, after the big bang, or HOWEVER this universe was created, we have to realize that this Earth, this solar system, and life on Earth, did not just 'pop' out of nowhere. It was all slowly and gradually created and formed.

But according to science, nothing COMPLEX is formed out of almost nothing.

What is a car made out of?

Metal...plastic, maybe wood, leather.

Well if I take these materials, and just drop them over on top of each other to try and make a car, it will NEVER happen. I can repeat it over and over and over, dropping those materials on the ground on top of more materials FOREVER, and still, a fully functioning car will NEVER be formed, ever.

It is impossible. Chaos does not form anything complex. There was an INTELLIGENT being behind it. A mechanic, who wrote built the car from scratch, but the designated parts in the right slots, and made the car fully operational.

And THEN, this mechanic designed a booklet, an instruction manual, to whomsoever is the driver of this car, must read the manual, so they know how to drive safely, and the rules of the road and the car if it breaks down.

This is pretty much how God created the universe, and life on Earth. It is the SAME procedure, just on a MUCH bigger scale. We are talking about the UNIVERSE here, but it is still comparable.

GOD had the materials, he put them ALL together so PERFECTLY without any errors. When he formed it all, he created INSTRUCTION manuals, (Holy books like the Torah, the Scrolls, the Gospel, the Qur'an), and he GAVE these manuals to prophets in the Earth (or driving experts), and these "driving experts" taught their people on how to drive the car safely (how to live your life according to the rules of God).

It all makes sense, doesn't it? ;)
I agree with you. There are too many variables that allow life on earth to exist that are present nowhere else in this solar system or anywhere else that we know of. It is hard to believe it is just a fluke.
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
See? =D

Isn't the truth always bright?
I had patience and "he" or "it" let me down. I lost my faith and no longer believe in a god.
God knew your future, that you will end up behaving like this. That is why he is not going to bother guiding you...see, this is how it works.

Now that you've lost your faith, that is enough proof as to why God will not guide you.

Remember, if you want to try and believe in him, you have to take the first step, and having patience is part of that first step.

[link]
I'll believe in him again the day my ex pays for the shit he put me through. I think that its fucked up that innocent people suffer while those who did them harm don't have to suffer shit?

Why would someone divine allow this to happen?
They will be judged in the end, and you will be rewarded. But some want their rewards now. For those you may get your reward now and not later. You will have received your reward in full. You can receive your $10 scratch off now, or the Mega Bucks jackpot later.
Oh gee...

God does not do bad things to people, PEOPLE do bad things to themselves.

It is simple.

Now it might not be specifically YOU, but the people, the society overall.

A person may be born with a disability, and the parents are like, 'WHY GOD!?'

But maybe in the past, an older generation family member used to drink heavily, and the genes just passed down into the defected new born.

Now this is how nature worked. When the humans screw up, this is what inevitably happens, and sometimes, it affects the innocent human beings too. GOD SAYS THIS.

Also, according to your story...

I already see the problem.

According to my belief, having girl/boyfriends is not allowed, because we don't believe that having any sort of relationship with someone before marriage is the appropriate way of living...

Also, if you do a simple research, dating and having pre-marital relationships is very unhealthy, and the only way to have a successful life with a partner is to marry first.

Getting to fully know your partner before marriage is not a good way at ALL.

Knowing a LITTLE before marriage is fine, but the MARRIAGE relationship part is the MAIN way to get to know your partner, NOT BEFORE.

For example, do you get to pick how your baby looks like? Do you get to pick what their likes/dislikes are? Their features?

Of course not, as they are born, you love them for who they are...

But marriage is MORE flexible than delivering a newborn, so there should be even less problems.

And studies show that marriage is WAY MORE successful than people who have relationships first.

---

Boom, I've solved your problem.

God didn't allow this to happen, it is simple.

God said, no relationships before marriage, or else bad stuff is gonna happen.

People go running around, having BF/GFs, (mostly in western culture), and their lives become miserable when one of em break up etc, and cheat on them and what not.

These problems don't occur with marriages, only on a few occasions, but that happens when the husband or wife blindly marries their partner, out of lust instead of true love, or what not.

---

So yeah, there you have it.
Add a Comment: