Closed to new replies
November 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 155

Money Buys Happiness

:iconflatearther:
flatearther Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
I am unhappy I need a cup of coffee. I get my coffee and I am happy again. Money bought me happiness. I'm riding my bicycle and I'm miserable because I don't own a Ferrari. If I won the lottery, I'd buy a Ferrari and then I'd be much happier than with a lousy bicycle. Money would buy me a lot of Ferrari happiness.

The ones who say it 'can't' buy happiness are usually a pretty miserable lot reciting their miserable 'sour grapes'
philosophy. They will invariably be working class or lower class underachievers or arrogant and untalented 'artists' or left wing 'trendoids' who can't give up their 4wd's.

Money in the hands of really smart, wise, astute and socially adroit individuals (like my good self) will land on their feet despite adversity. The lottery winners who end up over a cliff were on their way there anyhow. An idiot with a calculator is still an idiot. A dork in
the kitchen will usually cook your dog by mistake or incompetence regardless. In other words, smart ones can buy great and useful happiness because they are above the herd and the dummies keep buying grief because they can't imagine anything else. Cheers!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconroycura:
RoyCura Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Money also cures AIDS. You just have to grind it up, mix it with a liquid, and inject it into your bloodstream.
flatearther Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Do you take credit cards?
:iconattentionspam:
attentionspam Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. ~ Oscar Wilde
Just can't buy wisdom like that, can we? Cheers!
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Money can buy you happiness... temporarily. But then you run out.
If the choice came up - be a miserable millionaire for a year or a happy pauper for 10? Cheers!
:icontdroid:
tdroid Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Naturally. We are biologically hard-wired to desire things as a part of a survival mechanism, so we'll constantly desire more and more. Well, most people anyway.
:iconpokecat:
pokecat Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Money may buy me happiness, but capitalism make me sad. It shouldn't run my life.
flatearther Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
So, how much money do you need to qualify as a 'Capitalist'? I've got twenty bucks - would that do it?
:iconpokecat:
pokecat Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"Capitalism" as in Walmart don't let you get overtime (the one where mom works at atleast). That might affect their profit. I don't hate the players, I hate the game.
Means you'll need more chips to stay in the game, no? Cheers!
:iconragerancher:
Ragerancher Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Money doesn't buy you happiness but I'd rather cry in a ferrari than on a pedal bike.
flatearther Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Me too. Cheers!
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
What a rant. Well, let me retort. "The love of money is the root of all evil." And I am not just saying that because it sounds good.
flatearther Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
Even though it sounds quite ordinary. Though money can sometimes buy quite a good root. Cheers!
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Money can't buy you love.
It can if you know where to shop. Cheers!
:iconkhirate:
Khirate Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The point of the quote is that money is not required to be happy. Personally, give me a crayon and it would completely make my day. But yes, often having a lot of stuff/money does make a person happy, for example, it would also completely make my day if I could buy this one pair of boots that costs $110. But that's not happening anytime soon, because boots are not on the list of items that I need to survive.

That quote does need to be rephrased....money CAN buy happiness.....it's just not necessary to acquire happiness....
flatearther Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Actually, there is no need to qualify with 'can'. It is implied already. It is also an open ended proposition for a reason. Every day we are presented with words that we take for granted and can become ensnared in a web of misinformation. There are automatic assumptions that 'happiness' needs to be a specific and immutable thing. It does not. Examine the language of advertising and marketing and it won't take long to see how words are used both as tools as well as snares and weapons. Once the critical 'what kind' of happiness? - is asked, the game shifts. Cheers!
:iconmachine-intellectual:
Machine-Intellectual Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I think the point of the quote is that you don't need loads of money to be happy. I personally am okay with tea, a book, and my records, I've never been materialistic.
It all relies on what sort and what quality of 'happiness' is to your specifications and satisfaction. For me, the coffee I crave would destroy my mind if I was forced with no other option than the 'instant' garbage that so many say they 'enjoy'. It would most certainly make me angry for a long time. Cheers!
Machine-Intellectual Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Exactly, simple things like a good cup of coffee make you happy! It's if you're being materialistic that makes people unhappy, you just want more and more.
The ugly facts are that some really get happy only when they're inflicting unbelievable pain on innocent people. They're called serial killers. The other lot are called real estate agents. Cheers!
Machine-Intellectual Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Don't forget lawyers :P
Sorry! I'll go and abuse myself with myrtle branch and ash for that gaffe. I should have bumped them into first spot. Cheers!
Machine-Intellectual Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
The : P looks weird.
Agreed. It took more than two hours to get it just right. Cheers!
:icontianithen:
Tianithen Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I agree money can buy happiness, pretty much everything we do in life to be happy requires money at some stage. The happiness may be superficial, like the happiness we get after buying a new outfit, or something tasty for our dinner, but it can be deeper, such as the companionship of a pet or enjoying an activity with friends, and it can be deeper still (think of all the charities making a huge and incredible difference in peoples lives, that sort of 'happiness' could not be provided without the money people donate).
That said money isn't the ONLY route to happiness. For example friends and family are really important, and even sometimes just seeing something like how gorgeous the trees are looking down by the riverside right now is enough to make me really happy.
Though I would like more money =P
wouldn't we all. haha.
Well said. But how sad that so often we get imprisoned by single words for lack of meaning. All based on the assumption that words like health, wealth & happiness have but a singular meaning. Once the budgie cage is open, there's real fun to be had. Cheers!
:iconceibita:
Ceibita Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Ok. So the most important things in life are love, helping others, being a good person, etc etc. Deep down, that makes you a good, happy, moral, well-rounded human being. It brings you long-term happiness that can't be taken away (because, really, once your cash is gone, this is all you'll have left!) I totally agree with that.

BUT

You are also on this world to enjoy yourself. Personally, I want to travel the world and explore loads of different cultures before I die. And for that, I need money. One day, I hope to go into a fairly-high paying field (if this economy lets me find a job), and if I do make money one day, I intend to use it. Money will bring me happiness because I will be doing the things I love.

But I also think that the happiness you get from being in love or being a good person is more long-term than the immediate happiness you get from getting things with money. It really could just depend on the person, too. Who says we all have to be the same? Personally, traveling the world would make me incredibly happy.

Does this make you a bad, materialistic person? I don't think so. You can love, help others, and spend money on the material things you want too. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I think the answer here, as it is in many cases, is finding balance. Because I doubt someone who dedicates their life to charity and never ever does anything for themselves is any happier than the guy who spends money all his life and never finds pleasure in any of the simple, humble things in life.
flatearther Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Well said. My brother in law wasted a fortune backing losers and so did my sister - him. Cheers!
:iconjustmango:
justMANGO Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yup. Money buys a lot of things that lead to happiness. =) I agree.
But sadly money also can't buy everything, some of which also lead to happiness. =(
Yes, but if you had everything, you'd end up like me - rich, stupid and irresponsible. Not a bad mix, actually............cheers!
:iconspacelanderryo:
SpacelanderRyo Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Example: I am not able to be made happy by external objects if I am able to be made happy at all. Money is an external object.

Example person disproves your point. Money cannot always buy happiness.
I'd be amazed with that mindset if you were not a tax accountant. Cheers!
:iconspacelanderryo:
SpacelanderRyo Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
That's spoken by Example. From now on I'll write Exampleman or something else obvious.
OK. I'll get the coffee. Cheers!
:iconabeautiful-world:
abeautiful-world Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Your unhappy you need a cup of coffee you buy coffee and your happy again
but what happens when you need your next cup of coffee are you unhappy until you can afford it?

your ridding a bike and your miserable because you can't afford a Ferrari so you win the lottery and buy a Ferrari and your happy?

but what happens if someone comes by on a private jet or in a private yacht or simply has a better Ferrari do you feel unhappy again because they have something better than you?

Money in hands of smart wise people makes them happy are you sure?
there are hundreds of company's worth billions and there chairmen could retire any second they want but they don't you know why?
they have to be the best of the best. There not happy being rich they have to have the best business and the biggest jet. When there stocks lose a few penny's they can mad in panic and stress themselves.

As for lottery winners if they where truly smart they would of been able to invent something or would of done something to earn there money the fact the only way they could get money was on a blind gamble don't show much hope for them.

Now Most people in life need a Desire to drive them and when they end up being able to afford everything they desire they should fell satisfied
but they don’t because they lose there desire and end up sad . so they start desiring more expensive things that are out of there reach and This is why mos they eventually end up broke.

However people with money can be happy if they don't think oh I need this I want this I must have this but instead think or it would be nice to one day own this and work for it because then they have set themselves a goal / desire and they are trying to achieve it.

if they manage to achieve it they feel proud of themselves and this bring happiness!
but if they don't they keep trying and trying and trying and it gives there life a purpose/ one day i will do it.

So lets look at your examples again
I want a coffee and I wont be happy till I get one.
So rather than focus on the fact I’m unhappy I focus on how I will get that coffee and its actually very easy my work has a free vending machine :-P
so if I want coffee I just have to work hard until break then go and get a free one.
I'm happy because I know I can get the coffee.

As for the Ferrari that ones slightly harder I own a nice car but its not quite a Ferrari.
So if I really want A Ferrari the job I got now ain’t going to pay for it
so id need a better job and to get a better job I need to be better educated.
So my first goal should be picking what job I want , what job I think I could do
then my next goal would be finding out what qualifications I need
finally I should work to get them qualifications and when I do apply for the job.

Then id be happy because I believe one day I will have my Ferrari.

However I decided I don't really want A Ferrari because my jobs close to where I live its great hours and the people there are nice, so I am happy there.

So as you see happiness my friend does not come down to money it comes down to one simple thing having a goal/ desire and doing whatever you can to achieve it or realising that your actually in a good place already.
How glad you must be that my idea of happiness is not inflicted on you and others and how happy I am now that I need not suffer your idea of happiness either. What the words mean and how they should be interpreted and distorted is nice if it's just an academic exercise.

The way it is actually used in the real world where people are ripped off by organised criminal gangs euphemistically called 'Insurance Companies' is cause for much introspection and critical evaluation. How nice that everyone has the opportunity to live their lives as happily or miserably as they can manage. Cheers!
abeautiful-world Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
yeah it must be gutting to know if you house gets burnt down its covered or if another driver crashes into you , yours ferrari is safe.

It would be far better if you had to pay if someone crashed into you thought its not fault of your own wouldn't it?

seems like your never happy though m8 always have something to complain about :-P
It must make the Queenslanders even happier when they get therir deluged home destroyed and the insurance company wipes them over a word like 'flood' and 'act of God'. Reassuring, no? Cheers!
abeautiful-world Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
1) how can it be an act of god when the people in charge of the insurance company's don't believe in god?
id sue saying prove god exists :-P

2) You have to ask why the government lets the insurance company get away with that.
It will cost the government billions to fix when the government could simply set a rule telling the insurance company they have to pay out or they can never trade in usa again.

3) rich people live in big city's usually by the sea the people in jersey shore spent a fortune to live there because they believed it would make them happy.
now they lost there property and home rather than be grateful there still alive there angry and upset.

Seem like they still haven't learn't there lesson about some things being better than money

seems like they still believe money buys happiness.
What a great way to put it. Thanx. Seriously, you've got enough for a decent book here. Cheers!
:iconsteveeshairstyles:
steveeshairstyles Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
I recently came across some forum posts that were arguing this and I'd like to see what people here think about this question. P
Me too. Cheers!
:iconafter--life:
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You know what makes you happier?

Going out there in the world and actually HELPING people and you seeing them with their bright smiles.

Money is only enjoyment of this temporary world, and people who follow the materialistic ideologies of this world while also acting arrogantly and transgressing will inevitably enter the punishment of the fire.

True enjoyment is the Paradise.

The Earth compared with Paradise is like taking your finger and dipping it in the ocean. All the water that is stuck on your finger is the happiness of this world, and the happiness of the Paradise is like the entire ocean you just dipped your finger into.

Don't let the devil fool you into thinking this is the only world there is. Surely, you were born when before, you were nothing. And indeed, you will return to the Lord.
:iconceibita:
Ceibita Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Sounds like they take some pretty strong happy pills up in that next life. I'd stay away from crazies like that if I were you.
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Crazies like what?
Gee....that sounds like it's almost as great as Disneyland........or Marrickville Metro. Cheers!
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
^_^
Add a Comment: