November 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 43

On interpreting the Bible...

:iconkyupol:
kyupol Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
I have noticed...

That if you interpret the Bible literally, the logical conclusion is to be an atheist or agnostic.

But if you look at it on a deeper level, the logical conclusion is either:
1) Full acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
2) Spiritual non-religious / New Age / Eastern / Wiccan / etc.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student Photographer
if the bible isn't literal, then why should I believe it? if it is literal, then it's just fucking stupid. it's a lose-lose situation for The Bible, lol.
:iconsmkiller:
Smkiller Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist
My interpretation of the bible: If the God portrayed in it is real, he's a dick, and not a God I could ever see myself worshipping.
:iconrebelionroja:
RebelionRoja Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student General Artist
I read the bible but not everything, though, I'm more than sure that death and that kind of stuff that happens on the world happen... I don't blame God... I have my faith, and I'm a very happy person, though, I'm kinda pissed off at both stupid atheists and stupid religious, can't there be a middle ground can it?
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional General Artist
I have no idea what you're trying to argue. The tendency to read the entire Bible literally comes from a particular approach used by some Christians. It's not anything unique to atheists. When atheists rely on that approach, they tend to reveal their ignorance about the diversity of approaches throughout Christianity. But then, you don't have to read it literally to decide a good chunk of it is BS. As a "spiritual non-religious," just sayin'.
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
If it's not meant to be taken as it's written then why the fuck was it written in such way?
:iconcatelee2u:
catelee2u Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I believe there's some truth in the Bible but look on it as part of a larger spirituality. I happily take truth from any religious or non-religious text. I do believe Jesus was someone of higher spiritual quotient than average and a Son of God as are most bringers of truth.
:iconel-and-noxi:
El-and-Noxi Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist
If you interpret the Bible literally, the logical conclusion is that you should be in a straitjacket.
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
The only reason anyone who isn't already Christian or interested in finding a faith cares how the Bible is interpreted is its influence in politics. Single exception: professional and hobbyist theologians. Ie, as a member of a completely different religion, if the Bible were rewritten in pig latin and had new chapters added that said you have to spend 30 minutes shaking your genitals at a horse everyday it has no effect whatsoever on what I believe and how I live; it wouldn't change anything for me religiously. There is some circular logic you're using here, even if there is some truth in that a reading of the Bible can sometimes change fundamental beliefs.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
If you took the Bible literally, you'd be mad.
:iconmacker33:
macker33 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
The problem with atheists is that they like sound bites.

But the thing is that unless its very direct you cant get the full value of something in the bible directly unless you know of something similar elsewhere,very often i am trying to triangulate something from the bible using 2 or 3 passages,I know the real learning is between these points.

Its like i am constantly sanding off rough edges.
Add a Comment: