Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

Free Will or Determinism?

:iconstxl87:
Stxl87 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
do you think everything and human action is predetermined? or that humans have free will?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think we have free will, and nothing is predetermined
:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
If I read a book, I'm going to have to stop reading it eventually for one reason or another. Something like this is inevitable to happen and I can't do much to change it, but the time that I choose to finally stop is up to me.
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional General Artist
I don't believe in Fate, only Destiny.
:iconjustmango:
justMANGO Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Leibnizian compatibilism.
:iconlyteside:
lyteside Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
I've never understood why the two must be mutually exclusive...
:iconhanciong:
hanciong Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
if everything is predetermined, how come we have free will?
:iconwolfyspice:
WolfySpice Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
There is no free will. However, the world is complex and governed by natural laws. It's incredibly difficult to model every single happenstance in the universe to definitively predict the future, yet we often do to a lesser degree. Even human behaviour.

We all react automatically to stimuli. We don't choose so much of what we do. Why did I look right? I dunno, I just did. Why did I scratch my back? Because I was conscious about it earlier and decided not to. Why did I do that? Hell if I know; to make a point about free will, I guess. Which is why I scratched my back without thinking just before because that point slipped from my mind and I just reacted to stimuli. And it felt great, so I'd do it again.

We have no free will, but our ability to think and be aware of so many things can make our choices so unpredictable to both other humans and ourselves, that free will feels real. Simply because we're so often not conscious of so many things our own bodies do. We make choices all the time, but we have no choice in the matter. Like then, I rested my chin on my hand. I chose to do that automatically... but it wasn't a conscious decision.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Without reason, there is no free will.
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
And yet with reason, there is no free will.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Professional General Artist
I don't know. I think we have free will because we do have the ability to make choices free of coercion and some self-determination. I think we don't have free will, because we able to speak of how humans generally behave, and there are always factors influencing and limiting the kind of choices we make. I tend to take the pragmatic view that free will is a useful concept, even if it's an illusion (or simply not the whole truth).

If you want to take a more scientific tact, there have been studies that people show more ability to improve when they believe intelligence is malleable, rather than fixed: [link]
I think this behavior might also be related to stereotype threat, i.e.: [link]
Add a Comment: