November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 89

would the world be better off

:iconhorrificsensation:
without religion, you think?

I do.
Although then there wouldnt be any jokes about it everywhere. but still. would be better.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcandanceamy:
Well I really wonder what humans would have been like is they would have never wanted to ascent to divinity...
:iconcandanceamy:
*ascend... not ascent. Or maybe they both work? I intended for ascend.
:iconmaltese101:
maltese101 Nov 4, 2012  Student General Artist
It's better for me,
but I can't really say for others.
:iconviberunner:
viberunner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
The world would not be better or worse off without religion... but unquestionably humanity would be better off without religion.

It would be nice for people to think for themselves rather than abdicate their moral, emotional, and intellectual development to bonkers racist magic desert manuals and/or weirdoes who think they're in telepathic communication with supreme forces.
:icondragonquestwes:
What difference do you think it will make?
:iconkaikaku:
kaikaku Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't know what a world with no religion would actually entail. I think it could be better OR worse. Or better in some ways and worse in others. It seems very difficult to predict. It might ultimately depend on how the world became non-religious.

Some of this also depends on what you think counts as a religion. Are only highly organized, ritualized belief systems religion, or do vaguer things like animism and freeform spirituality count? I can't help but feel that a world with no religion might also have no humans, or only teeny-tiny human societies.
:icontdroid:
Yes, even though we can't claim that it would fix all wrong. However, I think that we should root out things like religion anyway, because they can be very harmful. There will always be things used by people to justify horrible things(and sometimes also motivating them), but we should still fight to get them removed.
:iconjm764:
Jm764 Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
and what about those who use religion to help those around them... should they be removed?

Science is used to place harm upon others... shouldn't it be removed?
:icontdroid:
Science is a tool to understand the world, the best one we have at this time. Science in itself does not motivate anything. How people use it is another matter.

The thing about using religion to help those around them is that you don't need religion to do that. All charity work can be done seculary. A point of religious missonary is to spread the faith. And if they don't do anything like that, it is a secular mission(secular means that no religious view or dogma is attached to it).
:iconjm764:
Jm764 Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Science and Religion we know well and how they are used in society...

How ever... religion gives to those who believe in it a better take upon life and those around them...

If we were to take that from them... then we'd be no better than those who have taken our rights to freely believe in what we wish to believe whether it is the belief that higher beings exist or not...

How ever... those who "force" their belief system upon those who do don't believe as they do should instead have their influential powers reduced.

Unfortunately, the world doesn't work like that... so we'll just have to deal with the way it operates now...
Add a Comment: