Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 97

What is your thought on "after death"?

:iconladyzelda1:
LadyZelda1 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
For Christians we know what you think. But what about others? Do we just wink out of existence after we die, or do we drift through space forever as a disembodied spirit? That just seems weird to me, going to bed at night and just never waking up as your consciousness just evaporates into nothing. Just like sleeping forever. Cuss or discuss it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlyteside:
lyteside Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
I know there's a soapbox crate, decorated trees, and sad singing involved somehow.
LadyZelda1 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
Can someone tell me why guys use girl's avatars on this site? That seems a bit weird
:iconlyteside:
lyteside Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
It's one of my favorite pieces I've drawn, and I'm proud of it. I do not intend my avatars to be used to represent me as male, female, etc. but rather my art, and the emotions and experiences it brings with it. If my favorite work was a picture of a tree, you'd see a tree.
:iconstxl87:
Stxl87 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
i dont know what comes after death, i guess i'll have to wait till i die to find out.

i did have a strange experience one time where i feel that i traveled to some "death dimension" unintentionally. i was laying down, tired in a dreamy state, and i suddenly drifted off to a sort of "sleep" where i found myself in a "dream" but it felt a bit different than a dream, it felt like i went to some other dimension, the way the dimension felt when i was there caused me to intuitively associate it with death because thats the sense i got when i was there, it felt kind of like i was all knowing weightless and timeless and floating, the colors there were milky white, milky blue, milky gray and an infinite black, i felt like i knew i was in a death dimension and i understood all of life death and everything else, i was in the same room i fell asleep in in this reality except it was coated in that death dimension with those colors i mentioned, there were also 3 dead kids there, they didnt seem to care at all that i was there and i got the sense that one of there names was Trevor (the boy) and he died from an overdose of pills, the other two were girls. to describe it, it felt like this world that we live in while we are alive is an infinite inhale, the death dimension felt like an infinite exhale with no inhale, it was a pretty cool experience.
:iconunclegargy:
UncleGargy Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Why is everyone so scared of oblivion. We knew nothing before we were born and we will know nothing after we are gone. Just enjoy the ride and fell proud to have been a human being and been able to even think about existence in the first place.
LadyZelda1 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
We knew nothing before we were born because we hadn't been created yet.
:icondesmondekapi:
DesmondeKapi Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
For me..
I get incarnated into someone or something else.
:iconviberunner:
viberunner Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
The first 14 billion years of the universe with your consciousness? That's coming up again except for much, MUCH longer. Forever really.

Sorry, but when the lights go out the show's over.

SCARY STUFF!!
:iconreptilliansp2011:
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student General Artist
What if the current cosmological interpretation is a lie? Let just say hypothetically speaking.
viberunner Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
If we're all pod people in a Matrix then so be it. Technically I can't prove you exist.

Cosmological lie or not I don't have any pre-existence memory, do you?
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student General Artist
Nope, no pre-existence memory although it'd be nice to have it if I existed before (unlikely). So, it ain't gonna matter how the universe came to be and how did we came to be in the whole grand scheme of things.
viberunner Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Quite right... but it's because life is precious and one-shot I find it so egregious people abdicate their moral, emotional, and intellectual development to so really rather nasty Space-Desert Magicians.
ReptillianSP2011 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student General Artist
Errg, it wouldn't matter if life is one-shot or not. You will be gone forever as you know it even if you came back to existence due to cosmic miracle. If life is not one-shot and is continuous, then the 'you' as you know it will be gone forever and you just might as well be a inferior life form after a long time or a much more advanced race.
:icontianithen:
Tianithen Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
This question is asked soooo much. When we die we die, that's it. There is no afterlife, the idea of 'living after death' makes no logical sense. The idea of an afterlife was invented because humans are scared of death and therefore not existing.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Every single idea ever proposed about 'after death' or the 'afterlife' exists because humans are aware of mortality and fear it; the idea of dying is frightening to us, so we need to cushion it somehow. Many do it with religion, some - like myself - just man up and accept it for what it is. :meow:
:iconjustmango:
justMANGO Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Kudos to you, my good sir. :3 I approve when people just man up and accept it for what it is. It gives me lots and lots of motivation to do my best and live the best life too, because well, once we're dead, that's it.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Indeed, I cannot fathom the kind of twisted logic one needs in order to draw the conclusion that life without an afterlife is meaningless. I guess some people just don't appreciate the true value of life and reality. :noes:
:iconjustmango:
justMANGO Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The world is full of bizarre people. =\
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student General Artist
I wouldn't agree that everyone knows what a christian Doctrine for afterlife is.

The only thing we could know for sure is that in revelation for the good people, they go to live in the New jerusalem, and also we get new bodies that are simular to the angel and eat the new fruit, and new names written in stone.

For hell, the word sheoul is where all the unrighteous and wicked get sent. Pretty simular to Hades. The real punishment is actually eternal seperation of God, not really burning yourself to death. A place of eternal lonliness. Though it could have burning and sufferenging like that, but the punishment is eternal seperation.

And considering the words soul and spirit, they are used differently in the bible. Some scholars don't hold that we have an immortal soul.
LadyZelda1 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Yes, I believe that hell was made for the devil, the demons or his fallen angels, and the false prophet.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student General Artist
Apparently only half. Hell is apparently translated differently from sheoul and Tataro, there is a place for angels and a place for humans.

The Sheoul is where the evil and unclean humans go. Tartaro is the place where all the angels, and demons go.
Demons are the fallen angels. They are just called demons for some reason.
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It seems pretty clear to me that the consciousness is extinguished upon death. You can tell because consciousness is apparently a function of the brain, as the activity in the brain directly correlates to various states of consciousness. If you had a CAT scan of your brain, it would read accordingly if you were concentrating, relaxed, asleep, afraid, high on drugs, and so forth. If you were deceased, there would be no brain activity, leading me to believe that there is no consciousness. Further, I see nothing to suggest a mechanism by which the consciousness could be transferred to somewhere else. The brain is a computer, constantly processing data. If you took an artificial computer that was running a program (another data-crunching system, like the consciousness), that program could be transferred to and run on another computer, but only if there was a connection between them, like a cable, or a wireless signal. Obviously, there are neither present for dying humans, so there is nothing to suggest the posthumous survival of human consciousness.
But you can't see a spiritual being, nor it's connection to any person's brain. OK, let's use a computer. If one computer is in another part of the house to the room your computer is in, you can still be connected to it wirelessly. So who says that the spiritual part of you can't be transferred somewhere else and not be seen? I recall an article years ago about how an aura was observed to be around people through some scientific means, I forgot the details. But they saw that on death the aura seemed to leave the body and up through the ceiling. They deduced that perhaps it was the soul. When we are talking spiritual things that can't be seen by the human eye because they are in another plane, who can say?
:iconstoneman123:
stoneman123 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
But you can't see a spiritual being, nor it's connection to any person's brain.

Nor can it be detected by any means. There is, in fact, nothing to suggest it's even there. Do you see what I mean?

If one computer is in another part of the house to the room your computer is in, you can still be connected to it wirelessly.

But wireless connection between two computers is carried out through a radio signal, which we can detect. There is no such signal for a dying person, so that mechanism of consciousness-transfer is unsubstantiated.

I recall an article years ago about how an aura was observed to be around people through some scientific means, I forgot the details.

I think you may be referring to Kirlian photography. Phony psychics and other credulous people like to use it as "proof" of the soul, or whatever. It actually has a very simple scientific explanation. The "aura" you see is merely the person's natural electric field reacting with the photographic plate. Like all animals, humans produce an electric field from the firing of our neurons. Snakes and sharks actually use this electric field to seek out there prey. Now, if a persn died, there nervous system would stop firing, thus negating the electric field around them. You could make a before and after pair of photos of this phenomenon and fool plenty of idiots.

When we are talking spiritual things that can't be seen by the human eye because they are in another plane, who can say?

All I can say is that if you can't see them, otherwise detect them, or find any other evidence of their existence, you have nothing to suggest their existence. In fact, I'd say that a much likelier explanation for this is that primitive human beings invented the concept of the soul because they didn't understand how the brain worked, and invented the concept of an afterlife to console themselves of their fear of dying.
:iconafter--life:
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student Digital Artist
There are two parts of the answer to this question.

The first part is observable, testable, measurable, and 100% accurate.

The second part is hypothetical, opinionated.

1) What happens to us when we die?

Well, that is simple to answer, in a physical sense.

Our bodies decompose, rot, expire, into the ground, and we become part of the Earth.

The second part, I am assuming, is the answer that you would expect.

2) Yes, physically our bodies decompose, we already know that.

But what happens to us mentally, spiritually?

According to my beliefs, our bodies are dead, but our souls are not. We are still in a state of consciousnesses, we are alive, but in a different state. Not in the state that we are living in right now.

When we die, our spirits that reside in our bodies will 'metaphorically' rise up and enter the next room.

Death is a transition, not an end.

There are two worlds that we humans are known to.

This world, the materialistic world that we currently reside in, and the next world, the after life.

What is IN the after life, is unknown. No human mind is able to conceive of it in their heads. They will never be able to picture it, because it is outside the laws of nature that we are comforted in. And that is how it always should have been.

You started off in the WOMB, and then you make your way into the TOMB.

From the WOMB to the TOMB.

When you are in the TOMB, you will NEVER go back into the WOMB.

You are alive right now, are you able to go back into the womb of the woman that bore you, your mother? Impossible.

Every single one of us here, talking and chatting, we are ALL created from ONE male, and ONE female, our biological parents.

Did you have any consciousness before you were born? Did you get to pick which family you would like to be born into?

You could have been white, black, brown, come from different nationalities. You didn't have any choice, did you?

Now the same thing will happen when you die.

The same process will repeat, but this time, you will enter the next room, and the door behind you will shut forever.

God, the Lord and Creator of the Worlds, will raise you back up, and will decide, what to make of you.
Very interesting.
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Your world either ends or is reborn, considering your level of consciousness.

I'm a solipsist.
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
You leave the party. But the party is going to go on without you. That's the hardest part.
True. Keep thinking I should have been born in the 24th century. I so wanted to travel in space ;-)
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
Scratching a living in the nuclear wastelands, cowering under the rule of a mutant warlord.
XD
:iconoprahwinfreyx:
OprahWinfreyX Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think your body just begins to decompose and nothing happens to your consciousnesses.
:iconstripedpower:
StripedPower Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012   Digital Artist
The spirit and the consciousness remain, in a higher plane of existence. Depending on the situation, you remain there or ascend even more, and reincarnate in another body if you haven't finished what you came here to do.
:iconhorrificsensation:
HorrificSensation Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
I think you just rot in the ground honestly. (unless your creamated, then your just a pile of dust) nothing happens.
:iconskulkey:
skulkey Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
you exit the body, say "whoo, what a ride!", and then get back in line.
So then you believe in reincarnation then?
:iconskulkey:
skulkey Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
i was being facetious.
:iconviolentmeeker:
ViolentMeeker Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
Nothing Happens. I believe that our emotions and personalities are reactions in our brain. Why should we spirit tripping somewhere. We don't have "souls."
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Well to enter christian heaven you must truly be repentant of your sins and accept jesus christ as your savior. Based on these rules there's a good possibility there will be a lot of rapists and murderers there that found god in prison. Only god can decide if they're truly repentant and if he does you get to live with a bunch of rapists and murderers. Supposing there is some change made to their core personality to make heaven a peaceful place to stay, why not administer it to the rapists and murderers on earth?

Personally I feel the after life is exactly the same as reality, and even the same life. You die and are reborn in your exact same life until you find what ever you're suppose to find. Maybe deja vu is an echo of pivotal moments in your life that may have gone in a different or same direction in past lives. There are other sensations similar to deja vu but I'm unfamiliar with the terminology. The feeling you've been somewhere before, the feeling you've dreamed a moment before, etc. The feeling you lived the same moment a thousand times. Ever have that feeling?
Yes, I have driven down a street in a town I was never in and thought, I have been here before as the memory or past is recalled, or seems to. And yes, it makes you wonder if you were here in a past life. Obviously it can't be past as the street and town were there then, which is now. Perhaps when we die our soul goes back in time and places you in the womb of a different mother so you can be someone else.
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Unless you're living the same exact life in the same point in history
Not necessarily. There may be zillions of parallel universes where things are basically the same except for the people. When you die you may be recycled and whooshed back in time to another parallel earth and be born as, let's say, Lady Gaga. Then the next time as someone else. I guess that is like reincarnation.
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Should read daytripper, the premise of that book is very interesting and pertinent
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
So is that like, reincarnating as yourself in parallel universes until you hit the right one to move on? What happens after you find what you're supposed to find?
enlightenment, peace, nothing, who knows, it might take a thousand lifetimes to find what it is you're looking for, maybe it's a spiritual calm, maybe we're always born innately angry, fearful, sad, and once we reach this enlightenment our soul can rest. I realize this is very similar from hinduism but I think it's more like the dark tower
What's the dark tower?
a book look it up
Yeah no.
Snuffed out like a candle. It's not the only possibility, but the most likely and obvious one. A nice alternative is a sort of reincarnation, the not anthropomorphic version of heavens, really: a continued existence as a wave enjoying the awe of reality for eternity. A less nice alternative is recycling, your consciousness becomes part of the surrounding consciousness/es. And then there's the horrific alternative, eternity of darkness with nasty things moving in that darkness all around you, shut down of the 5 senses but still aware. Although that last I would say is caused by being trapped in the brain matter when the body dies, so could theoretically be avoided by cremation which would bring final death or one of the other alternatives.
Add a Comment: