Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

The train that goes far away

:iconresponsibleatheist:
ResponsibleAtheist Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
In a town, there is a mysterious train. Every day, a group of people is forced to go on this train. Once they get on this train, they never come back, and they'll be incapable of contacting the people who are left behind. There are many different ideas about where this train goes to. Many believe that if you're a good person, the train will bring you to a resort, where you never have to work, never get sick, are reunited with your loved ones, and can spend all of eternity in bliss. Not only do you have to be a good person, but you must also believe that the train takes people here. However, if you're not a good person , or don't believe that the train will go here, the train will bring you to a polluted warzone, without fresh air or food, and where you'll be forced to suffer the worst possible torment imaginable. The people who believe this story claim that they will go to the resort, and believe that they will see their loved ones there.

However, when they are forced to go aboard the train, something strange happens. Instead of being cheerful and excited about it, they are afraid. They don't want to go. In fact, they've spend most of their lives avoiding the things which would get them on the train.

Why would this be if these people claimed to believe that they went to the resort? Why are they so afraid? The reason is, because despite what they claimed, they don't REALLY believe in the destination of the train.

Does this remind you of something? Well, it should. Christians believe that if you are a good person (or simply accepted Jesusīs sacrifice), you'll go to heaven. They often get people on their side by promising them that they will have a great live in heaven if they join the group, and if they don't, they'll go to hell. However, when they hear that they were going to die, most of them are just as terrified as most non-Christians. In fact, when Christians get married, the priest always says ''till death tears you apart'', which is strange if they actually believed in an eternal after live.

So let me ask you: Do these people really believe in heaven? Most of them don't, and instead, they simply HOPE that there's a heaven. Now let's take a look at the people who are willing to KILL themselves to get into heaven (like the 9/11 terrorists). These people BELIEVED in heaven, instead of just HOPING in it.

Opponents of this claim say that the actual reason that most Christians are afraid of death, is because they are simply unsure if they will go to heaven or hell. However, if this is true, they clearly don't have that much faith in the saving grace of Jesus Christ. That just shifts the doubt from one part of their faith, to an even MORE important part of their faith. Also, no Christian believes that God sends babies to hell when they die (if he did, than f*ck that guy), yet most Christian parents would be devastated if their child died at such a young age (which they often do). Also, if Christians really believe that humans are guaranteed to go to heaven if they are really young, than why do they protest against abortion? By their believes, those ''babies'' (in reality fetuses) will spend all eternity in heaven, so why are they opposed to that?

One of the reasons why I bring up this subject, is because there are also people who believe that there's nothing wrong with certain people dying painful deaths, because they will just go to heaven. I once had a discussion with someone regarding the story of Job, where God allows Job's many servants to be brutally slaughtered, simply to test Job. He believed that this was totally okay, because they now have a good afterlife. However, why did they have to die such a painful death? The book of Job claims that some of them were killed by the sword, while the rest was burned to death by fire from the sky (Job 1:13-17). The bet was about seeing how Job would react if everything was taken away from him, and I'm pretty sure God let the satan (not the devil by the way) go a bit overboard when he let them all die such an unnecessarily painful death. Also, they probably had wives, children and friends, who mourned their deaths. For more about his subject, check out my other article '' Once you go Heaven, there's no way back''.

Here's something I want to ask to those who believe that the painful deaths of good people are okay because they will spend eternity in heaven: What if someone came to your house, and shot you in the face with a shotgun? If you believe in heaven, and consider yourself a good Christian, you wouldn't have a problem with this. After all, you're going to spend eternity in heaven, right? If you aren't okay with such a thing, than stop saying that the deaths of these innocent people were somehow okay, because it's both hypocritical, and offensive to their loved ones.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcreyk:
creyk Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Meh:shrug:
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student General Artist
According to Scripture, anyone who believes in Jesus will be saved, thus the question of whether they go to heaven or hell, is rather silly. It has already been confirmed that they are going to heaven. Perhaps it is fear of the unknown that they are portraying, or fear of a painful death. Both are naturalistic reactions seen throughout our lives.

Why do people die painful deaths: because in this chaotic world, that's just how things work. Pain and death are side effects of sin, and this world reeks with it.

As to why we are against abortion: it is true, we believe these children do go to heaven, but this isn't our call to make. Life and death is a choice that only God should make. After all, can we, as humans, return life after we have taken it? Is it our responsibility to say who lives and who dies? This power and responsibility belongs to God alone, and thus I, personally, can not support abortion.

I don't fear death, as much as I fear how I'll die. I would prefer that my death would be as useful as my life, or that I would go out in a bang. Old age seems overrated to me.
If they really believed in Heaven, what unknown would there be to be afraid of? They probably aren't afraid of a painfull death, seeing as Christians constantly claim that an eternity in Heaven makes any kind of suffering on earth worth it. Many Christians also think that there is nothing wrong with the painfull deaths of good people, because they go to heaven anyway. If they were afraid of a painfull death, they would be huge hypocrites.

Couldn't an omnipotent God make any death painless? And pain and death aren't caused by sin, they're just natural parts of live. Pain is caused by the signals from our nervesystem, not by sin.

If God allows these ''children'' to be aborted, than clearly he made the choice to have them die. If we aren't in a position to chose who lives and dies, why do Chritians want to decide if those fetuses should live? And why would those Christians be against Abortion, if they believed that these children will spend all eternity in heaven?
It is true that Scripture states that the pain of death is taken away for Christians. Our soul by the time would already be on our way to heaven, and all that would be experiencing the pain would be an empty shell. I am simply referring to the body's natural reaction to the idea of pain, much like how the idea of needles make people uneasy.

"And pain and death aren't caused by sin, they're just natural parts of live."

Indeed. So is sin. The text states that it is the natural tendency of human nature to be at odds with God. The definition of sin is to be at odds with God. Sin is natural, thus pain and death are also natural. This is the world we've made for ourselves.

True, God allows these children to be aborted, and he also allows us to make the choice to abort them. Thus, should we simply make the choice because it is available? I think not. Christians fight abortion, to put it simply, because we seek to protect life. It's kind of our mandate as dictated through Scripture. Cheesy, I know, but that's the simplest way to put it.
Why would God create humans with an instinct which causes them to be afraid for something they don't have to be afraid of?

If sin is part of human nature, and God designed human nature, than doesn't that make him responsible for sin? And seeing as Christians constantly ignore what God/Jesus says (like ''don''t work on the Sabbath'' and ''don't pray in public" (Matthew 6:5)), that would make most Christians sinful.

This is what you said earlier:

''Life and death is a choice that only God should make. After all, can we, as humans, return life after we have taken it? Is it our responsibility to say who lives and who dies? This power and responsibility belongs to God alone''

If he choses to let people live or die, how can humans possibly interfere with that? So why do Christians feel like they have the responsibility to say that those fetuses can't die?
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
If death is a side effect of sin, then people who do not sin should live forever.
Indeed. The problems with that statement are:
1.) You're assuming there are people who don't sin. According to scripture, sin is our natural tendency, thus we are all affected by it. If it was possible not to sin, Jesus wouldn't have needed to die.

2.) You're assuming that people without sin would be living "here" forever. With the universe running down and so forth, why would we want to live here for eternity?
:icondefinedeviancydown:
DefineDeviancyDown Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Do we really go to a heaven or a hell, or are we recycled, ending up here again? Is the fear of death really a fear of the unknown, of having to start all over again in a different setting?
:iconxternal7:
xTernal7 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:clap: Well written.
Add a Comment: