Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 148

God tempts Abraham

:iconresponsibleatheist:
ResponsibleAtheist Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
I haven't written anything in a while, so I decide to do an article about Abraham. I think you all know the story, but I would like to give my thoughts on it.

Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, "Abraham!"
"Here I am," he replied.
Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you."(Genesis 22:1-2)

Abraham's reaction to this probably happened off screen, but I wonder what he was thinking at that point. I mean, God, who's supposed to be benevolent, just told him to MURDER his own son. Why would he command him to sacrifice any human being to him, let alone his son?And couldn't Abraham just kill Isaac in his sleep? That way, he would've been done with the whole thing, and it didn't have to become so dramatic.

So the next morning, Abraham and Isaac go to the mountain with the wood for the burned offering. Abraham tells his servants that they're going to the mountain to worship God, and tells Isaac that they're going to sacrifice a lamb. Isaac asks Abraham where the lamb is, and Abraham tells him that God will provide them with the lamb (I thought God had a problem with lying...)

When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. But the angel of the Lord called out to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!" "Here I am," he replied. "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."(Genesis 22:9-12)

Why did an omniscient God even need to test him in the first place? Didn't he already know what the outcome was going to be?

I once had a discussion with a Christian about the ''omni'' qualities of God, and he claims that the God of the Bible isn't omniscient in the way that we think he is, and that he wasn't able to predict what Abraham was going to do, because of the faith that the sacrifice required. Even if this is true, it still doesn't make God look good. After all, what kind of sick deity would be impressed by someone's willingness to murder his only child if a voice claiming to be God told him to? In fact, he actually rewards Abraham for doing it (Genesis 22:15-18). Why does he care so much about blind faith anyway? That voice could just as well been Satan, pretending to be God so that Abraham would kill Isaac (it definitely sounds more like something Satan would do than a benevolent God). It's made clear in the Bible that Satan does these things frequently, and God doesn't really prevent him from doing so. In that case, Abraham's blind obedience would be a negative quality.

Even if God wanted to test Abraham's faith and (more importantly) righteousness, he could have commanded him to give all his possessions to the poor. That way, the community would also have benefited from the test, and it would make it look like God is impressed by things like this. But instead, he tells Abraham to murder his only son?!

In Hebrews, Jesus says that Abraham went along with the sacrifice because he believed that God would simply resurrect Isaac:

By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, even though God had said to him, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned." Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death. (Hebrews 11:17-19)

But think about it, why was there any reason to kill Isaac in the first place if he's going to be resurrected anyway? Plus, even if you come back from the dead, being murdered is still extremely unpleasant (to put it lightly). And it's made clear that Isaac didn't know that he was going to be killed.

Abraham is by most religious people considered one of the greatest men to have ever lived (in fact, the three mono-theistic religions are even referred to as the ''Abrahamic religions''). Yet if this story happened in the present, Abraham would be arrested, thrown into a mental hospital, and his son would need to go through intense therapy. And Christians say that the Bible is the basis of our legal system and moral code?!! Seriously people, stop honoring people like him.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconastrikos:
Astrikos Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012   General Artist
That poor child.

I feel bad for the sheep.
:iconsaeter:
Saeter Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
:iconmademanmadman:
mademanmadman Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012   Digital Artist
I hate that story and recently I've thought about it.
And I concluded that if I were god I would have send Abraham to hell.
Just because someone in power told him to do it doesn't mean he should break laws that same someone made. I think it teaches a very wrong thing. We shouldn't follow god as mindless sheep and do what He or worse His 'emissaries' on earth say. There are examples in history that this faith in god and power that those 'emissaries' had have been misused.
Saeter Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
He hadn't yet made the laws.
Ah right! I totally forgot that! lol
So much for omniscience right!
Right.

You are right Abraham would have been called madman in this age and the people who say that god wouldn't ask for it now I wonder if they think that the god is frighten or considerate of human laws? Considerate probably though I'm not sure then why He wasn't considerate towards Isaak. It must have been a great trauma having been sacrificed to the god by his father.
Could you imagine being dragged up to the altar where you sacrifice sheep, only this time you bring no sheep then your father forces you onto that altar and raises his dagger all while talking to the sky. The entire time his eyes filled with murderous conviction, only for at the last moment he changes his mind. I would never trust the man again. And Christians think this was a good thing.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
"I mean, God, who's supposed to be benevolent, just told him to MURDER his own son. Why would he command him to sacrifice any human being to him, let alone his son?"

well, two things:

1) this is Old Testament God we're talking about. he didn't play around.

2) Abraham had faith in God; most generally, that whatever God needed to be done was pretty important and thereby worth the life of whoever he took. Abraham believed in a concept greater than himself and everyone else, and he was prepared to kill accordingly. what's a human life in the face of God?
Saeter Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
2) Exactly why faith is so dangerous.
Add a Comment: