Closed to new replies
November 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58

Religious people explain?

:iconyunonglu:
YunongLu Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
I'm only cuious because I'm not Christian,Roma-Catholic, all those chruches. Except non of my Christian friends will explain this to me? Tell me if I'm wrong, okay! If I'm correct, the bible says something about do no evil, do not consult evil, no dark magic, yes? Do not commit any eveil acts, or make contact with wicca....ect. Here is my question----
" If the bible says all this stuff about wickedness and evil and avoid as best as possible. Dark magic and stuff. Then isn't exorcism going against what the bible says not to do?"
----When I asked my friends this question, they responded. "It's differnet."
May someone please explain how is is different?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbladewolf73:
Bladewolf73 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Dark magic is supernatural power that does NOT originate in God or His grace.
An excorcism is supernatural, and yet it's power stems from God's grace and is not possible without him.

Or at least, that's what a good, rational Christian would say.
:iconlyteside:
lyteside Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
"witchcraft" and "dark magic" as the bible talks about it is related to magical works outside of God's provision. An exorcism that is done through the Lord is not performing dark magic at all, no more so than someone laying on hands to heal someone through prayer, etc. The casting out of the spirits is still God's work, through our hands.
:iconmaltese101:
maltese101 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student General Artist
Don't forget bringing people back from the dead, miraculously curing diseases and blindness, turning water to blood, making the sun shines with the moon right beside it..

Hah, of course it's different! That's what they all say!
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Jesus was accused of being a devil but he was really just a naughty boy.
:iconsiegeonthorstadt:
siegeonthorstadt Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
idk about exorcism. praying to God is not magic.

this is how i differ between magic and psionics: if it involves asking the help of a demon, begging to certain creatures, praying to magical creatures, saying mantras, certain creatures, asking the help of a dead person magician than its magic. if its about your own abilities, willpower, self hypnosis, or asking the help of your greater self than its psionics.

its my opinion though. it might all be forbidden.
:iconvulpimo:
Vulpimo Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Isn't exorcism white magic? Like, healing?

and where does it say about no dark magic?
:iconthemarcher:
TheMarcher Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
One more reason to be atheist, it is good to question double morals. And feel free to question any statment I say as well. If I cant defend them I might change my mind...
:iconafter--life:
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student Digital Artist
God created a boundary between this world and the next world.

Anybody who dies in this world by the hands of Angel Israel, as commanded by God, is immediately reaped into the next world, and it is impossible to come back. Because this boundary of God is created by the Lord of the Worlds, whom possess all powers. Not even a spirit will be able to break it.

So since spirits do not exist in this materialistic world that was created by God...the practice of exorcism is contradictory to the powers of God.

If I am right, it is from God, if I am wrong, it is from myself.

Peace.
:icontalknight2:
talknight2 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Azrael is the angel. Israel is Jacob's other name.
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student Digital Artist
There are different spellings, it can be both Israel/Azrael.
talknight2 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I still find links with Israel as well...and what does it matter? It is just a combination of English letters, like Qur'an and Koran etc.
talknight2 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
They have completely different meanings in the original language.
After--Life Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student Digital Artist
In the original language, it would be Arabic, there is no such thing as I.S.R.A.E.L. and A.Z.R.A.E.L. etc.

In Arabic it would be just one way of pronouncing it for whatever word, and there can be multiple English variations. But as long as it is used in the proper context, it's fine.
talknight2 Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Except that Israel is from Hebrew.
The difference between an S and a Z is absolutely critical. Hebrew and Arabic are consonant-based languages, so if you change the consonant (even if the pronunciation is unchanged) you get a wholly different word.
(1 Reply)
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The Bible tells that people shouldn't trust evil and do business with it. In other cases evil has to be driven away, and this is what exorcism does if someone becomes possessed by spirits. People have to avoid becoming evil, not simply seeing it.
:iconorangekrissy:
OrangeKrissy Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
I would say it is a different matter. With exorcism you are casting evil spirits out of a body, not consorting with them. I'm not too much of a believer in exorcisms as demonic forces are very powerful and not to be messed with. I recall a story in the Bible about a man who was inhabited by evil spirits and they made the man very powerful and no one could bind him. When asked who they were they said we are many. In other words a whole company of spirits was in this man. When Jesus showed up they crapped their drawers and were scared shitless. "What do you want with us Son of the Most High" they asked. They asked if they could exit the man and inhabit a bunch of pigs nearby. They did and the pigs went down to the sea and drowned in the water. But we are not Jesus and if you attempt to cast out spirits it may be you who gets cast across the room.
:icontheawsomeopossum:
TheAwsomeOpossum Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
All an exorcism is is casting out an evil spirit with the priesthood power of God. That is a good thing, not a bad thing.

In terms of how many exorcisms (of the type you hear on TV) are true exorcisms, I would be cautioned before believing they all are.
YunongLu Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
I know they all aren't tru. Most is for media hype. If you cast out a deamon, where does the deamon go?
:icontheawsomeopossum:
TheAwsomeOpossum Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
I don't know; I've never participated in one. They are just forced out of the person they were in. In my church, they happen, but it is said it is best not to talk about them. I assume for several reasons; privacy, is one I'm guessing, and also, to keep down the myths about them.

I'm not in a mainstream church though =p.
:iconcreyk:
creyk Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I will make it simple for you:
If you enjoy it, it's WRONG!:icondeathfaceplz:

That's all:shrug:
:icontwistedsynapses:
TwistedSynapses Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Aw crap. I guess I need to make some changes in my life.
I liked the things I enjoyed too.
creyk Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Too bad. Now God might be disappointed in you!:noes:
:icontwistedsynapses:
TwistedSynapses Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I'll do x number of hail marys.
LOL, or humans enjoy being right. To make something right, they form a statement to sound logical. However, I do enjoy hearing people’s thoughts. At times it is better than reading an article on the subject. Everyone’s view points are different, though the fanatics are probably one of most dangerous.
Hmm, that makes sense!
I like it^^
So basically you can make anything up, if you back it up with untrue but believable facts, people will believe you!:la:
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012   Digital Artist
An exorcism isn't any more magic then praying is magic. I a sense, an exorcism is just paying and hoping santa delivers you the gift you wanted. Magic would be pulling rabbits out of hats, but I've never seen that happen in even the most dramatized exorcism.

Also, since you don't really have much understanding about either the christian religions or the "pagan" ones you are referring to, your question is a lot like asking why cinderella gets a fairy godmother and arial only gets a fuckin crab. It's a book of stories, even more so to someone who doesn't quite understand them. It's like asking why jedis don't get to use red lightsabers, seriously.
I saw that rabbit trick in a church once you know:lol:
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
'If I'm correct, the bible says something about do no evil, do not consult evil, no dark magic, yes? Do not commit any eveil acts, or make contact with wicca....ect.'

'Evil' being the operative word, here. Exorcisms, miracles, etc are performed through the power of God, as opposed to the power of the devil/evil/whatever. Prayer, laying on of hands, those are typical good Christian 'white magic'. Casting out demons would be on the heavier end of the spectrum, but it's the same idea. The power of God, angel, saint, etc according to belief, is coming through the person. They are being used as the hand of a positive deity, and so are 'good'.
:iconfelissauria:
Felissauria Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Deuteronomy 18:9-12 I think?
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'm not sure why you think exorcism is regarded by the churches as any kind of magic, dark or not. Summoning a demon-- that would be dark magic. Getting rid of one is the opposite, no?
Can you summon a Demon?
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
There are those who say so.
...:iconcreepyspongebobplz:
:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
On one hand though, the Bible says not to perform magic at all, yet there are positive spells one can use, so it's not all dark magic. Then again, the Bible might also claim it's being perpetuated by demons, so idk :/
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Actually, I'm pretty sure the Bible says nothing at all about magic in general. It condemns certain types of magic -- necromancy, for instance -- but seems to condone others, such as astrology.

Most churches would characterize their exorcisms as prayers, not magic. Some exorcisms are perfectly routine, such as those performed before baptisms.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
I'm 100% sure as a former Christian, the Bible says absolutely nothing in regards to Wicca. Actually someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I never heard of anyone in the Bible doing amazing feats or using dark magic because he or she is possessed by the devil. Actually my particular church maintained you can't be possessed by demons unless God wills it and there can't be any ghosts unless God let them appear before you for some reason or another. Most exorcisms in the Bible ended with Jesus going "leave him alone" and the demons were like "well, you're God" and leave. None of this chaining people down and spraying holy water on this shit. That was invented in the Middle Ages because...well very few things about the Middle Ages made sense.

And as the previous poster said, if a non Christian performed a miracle, Satan did it or it was just luck. If a Christian did it, must be divine proof of God.
LOL, I like what you said about the middle age. The chaining stuff to me is more movie like? People seem to think about exorcism like movies. Also I don't know about you, but if I was chained to a bed, I be freaking out to.

If God is supposed to be nice to people, then why would he posses people with a deamon?
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
You must have done something shitty I guess if God saw it fit for you to be sick in bed with DEMONS.
LOL, na. I do that on the toilet.
:iconadamkass:
AdamKass Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Professional General Artist
Considering Wicca didn't even exist until the early to mid 1900s, so I'm fairly certain that the Bible says nothing about them.
:iconfelissauria:
Felissauria Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Paganism existed before Christianity.
AdamKass Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional General Artist
Paganism is an umbrella term for any non-Abrahamic religion. e.g Wicca is a Pagan religion, not all Pagans are Wiccan. My point was that the OP used a specific religion that isn't addressed in the bible.
:iconthreedayweekend:
threedayweekend Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012   Writer
lol true.
:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think they mean other pagan religions, I don't know if Wicca is considered a form of paganism or not though :/
AdamKass Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional General Artist
It is.
:iconkillianseraphim:
KillianSeraphim Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Student General Artist
It's mainly due to the source, from what I can tell. I might make some people on the forums upset by saying this, so please bear with me here anyone who is reading this:

Dark magic, wicca and the like are Satan's counterfeit for what God had set in place for humanity. If you read scripture, you will find that the signs of a Christian, more specifically, "those who believe" are: casting out demons, speaking in different tongues, healing the sick, raising the dead, immunity to poisons, the list goes on. He also states that Christians, or followers of Christ, would do everything He did while on earth and more. Christians are called, in the text, children of God, and carry the same power and authority that He does. He gave us this power to carry out His will, and bring heaven to earth.

Satan, however, also has a will he wishes to carry out. While God's will, that His children can choose to follow, is to build us up into what He created us to be, Satan wishes to corrupt and subvert the order that God created through manipulation and deceit. From what I understand, Scripture calls these things evil, not for evils sake, but because these things, in the long run, will cause harm those involved. This was made as a warning, not a command.

This explanation is what I've pieced together from experience and research over my Christian life. I don't consider it complete, and prefer to keep it to myself until I have a better grasp of it. Hopefully this is helpful.
Thank you, this was intresting to read. Some poeple seemed to have narrowed there minds on the owrd 'Wicca'. Perhaps I could have phrased my question better and not have used that word at all. Though you seemed to understand what I was asking, from a Christians point of view.
:icon7magickvii:
7MAGiCKVII Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
OK, here's the difference between magic(k) practised by Christians and magic(k) practised by non-Christians:
- When Christians do magick it is "God acting through them".
- When non-Christians do magick it is "demons acting through them".

The rationale for the above is never fully explained. Then again, is it really wise to ask for rational arguments from such irrational people?

[DISCLAIMER] For fear of causing "offence" and being ostracised by the Political Correctness fanatics, I would like to add that not all Christians share the above view, only the idiotic ones who rely on one book and a reverend for the source of all their knowledge.
:iconhippo-rim-job:
hippo-rim-job Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Even your disclaimer is insulting. Don't go into politics.
Add a Comment: