A Religious Rant of Biblical Proportions

So recently I've been going back and reading some posts of mine from several years ago, and I realized something. I was like a glowing frickin' magical scepter of religious tolerance back then. :o Not so much anymore :doh: My spiritual journey over the last couple of years has not been what I would call a particularly positive one.

Be warned: This post will probably contain a lot of anger and might offend those of you who are devout, so only read this if you feel like you can handle thoughts that are different from your own. Remember that these are my opinions, my struggles, and my frustration being expressed. I don't want to alienate any of you, but I also want to share what I've been going through. These are my feelings, not necessarily iron-clad facts, so take that as you will. That said, please don't comment with some "evolutionist are liers youve ben decieved1!!1!" or "have you tried having a relationship with our lord and savior Jesus Christ??" drabble. I really, really don't appreciate idiotic comments OR proselytizing.

So. I was raised Christian, but I've always dealt with what my teachers and peers called the "doubt problem" (translation: the ability to think critically). I should start out by saying that I am no longer Christian, and have not been for some time. If I had to pick a name for my current set of beliefs, it'd probably be "bitter agnostic". I'm not an atheist, because I don't think we have enough information to make a conclusion one way or another, but I have come to hate organized religion on a level that I didn't think was possible just a few short revolutions around the sun ago. I have so many problems with the subject that I don't even know where to START. So let's just bullet-point random shit.

:bulletblue: Problem # 5237: There is an inherent issue with monotheism, particularly the Abrahamic faiths, that I like to call the "we're right, you're wrong!' complex. The mindset that there is only one truth, and that YOU know it because you read it in a book written a thousand+ years ago, seems so arrogant and presumptuous that it makes me physically ill. Everyone has the right to their own spiritual truth, but when you go gallivanting around announcing that other belief systems are a hell sentence, well...that's kind of douchey, in my opinion. Even if you DON'T proselytize, the assumption that outsiders are wrong is built into the system. This leaves no room for the staggering and rich variety of human cultures and perspectives, because it demonizes anyone who doesn't follow a certain way of thinking.

:bulletblue: Problem # 3466756435:: The Bible. I often wonder if Christians have ever actually READ the thing, because I honestly think the Bible is the number one thing that turns me off about Christianity. Here is a book that condones mass genocide, slavery, incest, the beating of children, the oppression of women, and a host of other social plagues. Not to mention that, whenever I read the Old Testament, I CANNOT shake the impression that it's like, the world's trippiest crack fic. Do Christians actually sit down and ANALYZE THIS?? I know the book was a product of its times, yadda yadda, but how can we take it seriously as the supreme Word of God when it's so filled with violence, hate, and impossible situations?
Random example 1: the Noah story. Not possible. You cannot re-populate the entire human race from such a small group of people, or it would show up in the human genome. WE HAVE SCIENCE, PEOPLE. WE'VE MAPPED THAT STUFF. IT TELLS US REAL THINGS ABOUT HISTORY. And don't even get me started on the ridiculous idea that you could fit all of Earth's organisms onto a BOAT. What are you people, kindergartners??
Random example 2: The Exodus story. Didn't happen. How do we know this? Extensive archaeology and years of rigorous study by the best and the brightest in the field. The Egyptians built the pyramids by sacrificing their own people, for crying out loud, so give them the credit they deserve for dying in service of their ruler.
Random example 3: God turns Lot's wife into a pillar of salt for looking at a city that was, for lack of a better term, being divinely nuked. THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN. Our universe displays an amazingly consistent set of physical and mathematical laws. If there is a divine being, he does not turn random women into pillars of salt. He operates by His laws. PHYSICS DOES NOT ALLOW SPONTANEOUS SALTIFICATION. Never even mind the moral quandaries you get into when you stop to think about why she was summarily executed (for being curious. That bitch, how dare she!).
It amazes me that, just because something was written down thousands of years ago, people accept it. If your wacky neighbor Phil came into your yard and started talking about how God turned his wife into a pillar of salt, you'd be like... "umm, sure dude. Lay off the peyote." You might even become concerned for his mental health and/or your own safety and call the police. But for some reason you think that an identical event that supposedly happened THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO, and that has NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER to support it, is plausible? Are you kidding me? I have this incredible urge to scream "how far up your ass can you fit your head??"
I realize that most of my objections are to a literalist interpretation of the Bible, particularly the Old Testament. Lots of people would point out that the stories are metaphors rather than actual historical fact, but I'd counter with the argument that the metaphorical nature is never made clear in the Bible and is certainly not interpreted as such by a TON of people. Either the Bible is the supreme Word of God and is thus infallible, or it has been corrupted by human hands, and is thus entirely invalidated (because how can you distinguish between the original message and the subsequent corruption?).
I will say that I do like the New Testament as a book; I find the Jesus story inspiring, and its message of love and forgiveness is a welcome respite from the God of the Old Testament, who is jealous, petty, irrational, cruel, and ridiculously fond of punishing people [/end specific objections that arise from my Judeo-Christian background].

:bulletblue: Problem # 867-5309: The history of organized religion. I don't think I need to delve too deeply into this, since I'm sure many of you are well acquainted with the fact that religious zealotry is one of the most destructive forces on the entire damn planet. You cannot be a Christian without being insanely ashamed of the actions of your forebears. The Catholic church burned millions of innocent men, women, and children during its various periods of witch hysteria. It also thought up and utilized some of the most disturbing torture methods ever invented by the human race. To give you some perspective, I always like to point out that the Mongol hordes under Genghis Khan never employed torture, even though they came to conquer and pillage (source: Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World). The Church claimed to be the path to salvation, and yet it had no trouble at all shoving wet cloths down women's throats and then violently yanking them out so that the esophagus and stomach came out with it (source: Carl Sagan's famous book The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark). If I were Catholic, and I read the list of tortures the Church employed on innocent people (it's extensive, trust me), I would cease to be a Catholic. I might go on believing in God, but I would no longer be able to associate myself with that institution. The idea that a person could know the history of the Catholic church and yet continue to follow its traditions and edicts baffles me on a level I can't even articulate. How can you trust the proclamations of a religious body that, for at least 90% of its history, was one of the cruelest, most irrational, most hateful, most evil organizations in existence? For those of you who can reconcile this in your mind, bravo, but I think I have every right to be suspicious. When Mongol invaders are more merciful, you know you've got a problem.
Let's look at the history of Islam. Somewhat more tolerant, somewhat more open to science. HISTORICALLY. In the middle ages, the Islamic World was definitely where it was at. But nowadays, Islam is in many locales one of the most conservative, restrictive belief systems in existence. The so-called "honor killings" in the Islamic world have taken violence against women to new heights (source is graphic, read at your own risk: [link] ) There seems to me to be a huge clash in the Muslim world between Islam and modernity. I don't really know what to make of it, other than it seems to be yet another example of the CLASSIC religious problem of not being able to accept new information because your source of guidance is a single, stagnant ancient book. Islam isn't the only religion guilty of this, but we learn new and exciting things about the world every day, and you can't go around denying FACTS just because they're contradicted by a random phrase in a book written centuries ago by a guy who hallucinated in a cave for a week. This alone is enough to turn me off from Islam - never even mind the insane hatred between the Sunni and Shi'a branches of the faith, whose members have spent years killing each other because of a friggin succession issue. Yeah, that's great guys, that's a fantastic reason to murder people. :rage: I'm sorry, but whenever people argue about sects within a religion, I just want to rip my hair out and scream "are you retarded?? YOU BELIEVE IN THE SAME GOD, YOU ASSHOLES. Stop killing each other!".
I respect Hinduism for its encouragement of plurality and allowance of diversity (which my Hindu bff ~twinklingtara never tires of talking about :XD:). Not so sold on the oppressive caste system, though, nor on the completely impenetrable meaning of many of its sacred texts (I tried reading. I really did). I admire Buddhism for its history of not massacring people, but I'm not a fan of the way it approaches the meaning of life question. It kind of skirts the whole 'purpose' thing. Maybe that's an oversimplification, but I just find Buddhist philosophy to be...well, depressing. Same with Taoism: it's like a religious form of Orwell's "DoubleSpeak". It revels in its contradictions and never really makes a point, which I find unhelpful (albeit lovely to read as a poem). I tend to feel rather fondly toward pagan/animistic religions, although we can't forget that those belief systems have participated in their own share of unspeakable horrors over the ages. Less, perhaps, than the proselytizing religions, but still enough. Nothing like ripping out the hearts of your enemies and eating them to absorb their spiritual energy, or leaving a virgin to freeze on a mountaintop to improve crop yields!  
The rebuttal to everything that I've just said is, I suppose, that these crimes are not religion's fault, but rather inextricably linked to human nature and its tendency to do really douchey things to perceived outsiders. To which I say, yes! Maybe the answer isn't more religion, but a more accurate understanding of our brains. If we humans truly, deeply, intuitively understood reality - that our violent inclinations and tendency to categorize people into "us vs. them" groups comes from hundreds of thousands of years of natural selection in a world VERY different from today - well, maybe we'd see ourselves a little more clearly. Maybe we'd understand the disconnect between our frontal lobe and our reptilian brain. Maybe we'd stop to examine our "us vs. them" assumptions, rather than zoom into hatred because "Wiccans are the devil!1!1". Or maybe we'd be equally douchey: who knows, we've never tried.

:bulletblue:Problem # banana: I can haz logic fail. Religion-done-right plays a societal function, encouraging interpersonal harmony and giving people a sense of purpose and hope. What religion does NOT do well is give us any insight into the world around us. Science gives us insight, often in unexpected and baffling ways. Does the Bible tell us about cosmic background radiation and its implications as to the age and structure of the universe? Does the Torah elucidate the process by which organisms change over subsequent generations to better suit their environment? Does the Qu'ran explain that when we see a blue shirt, what's really going on is that all the wavelengths of light are being absorbed except blue, which is reflected? Does the Rig Veda talk about the antimicrobial properties of bread mold? Did the Tao te Ching tell us that, on an atomic level, what appears to be solid matter is actually mostly empty space? Does praying to the moon get you to the moon? No. Science does. Believing that the Earth is 6,000 years old and is the center of the universe is all fine and good when you're a tribe of herders living in the desert. It's not so fine and good when you're a member of a technologically advanced society with nuclear capabilities, antibiotics, and the internet. Look around you, fundamentalist folks. Wake up and smell reality.
I don't think religious people are stupid; I think they're generally kind, well-intentioned people who are just looking for some answers and some comfort. Believe me, I get it. I want nothing more in this entire life than to believe that it means something, that there's a force out there that loves and forgives, and that death is not the end. I really understand. But I also understand the critique that religious people turn a blind eye to reason. The problem with the dogmatic religions is that they posit a theory, and then look for evidence to back it up. With science, you find evidence, then make a hypothesis based on that, then test the hell out of it, revise it, make corrections, etc. until you have a MOUNTAIN of evidence and your hypothesis can become a theory. The theory continues to be tested all the time, and if conflicting evidence arises, the theory is adjusted or shit-canned. It's self-correcting. Religion is not. When we learn something new and scary about the world, religious bodies try to find a way to make it fit into their pre-existing worldview. If that can't be done, they reject it as false. Science modifies its thinking. When fundamentalist religious people reject a scientific theory solely because it contradicts something in an ancient text that is itself contradictory...well, it's like seeing that the grass is green, but insisting that grass must be blue because your holy book tells you so. This is especially evident in the conservative Protestant community in the United States, which seems to get its jollies by hating on gay people, denying evolution, and trying to get friggin Biblical creationism taught in the public schools of a country that has separation of church and state. They say "oh, evolution is only a theory"...yeah, well it's a theory in the same way that gravity is a theory, or heliocentricity is a theory. In science, a theory isn't just a wild guess, it's a solidly supported conjecture with a Pacific-ocean sized body of evidence behind it. Science doesn't prove things. It makes theories that explain the world around us with a remarkable degree of accuracy, and if new information arises, it adjusts its thinking (sometimes after a lot of bickering among researchers). And it works. Does religion 'work'?
Now, I do want to clarify something: when, say, Christians read the Bible and draw from that experience lessons on love and forgiveness, and try to model their behavior after Jesus, well...I get it. When a Jewish person reads the Old Testament and interprets it as a series of metaphors and cool stories, I get that too. If you want to view it in a strictly spiritual sense, I'm on board. But when religious people take their holy text and see it as an explanation for the wonder we see around us, that's where you lose me. Because for all its emotional benefits, religion is deficient in that regard. How do you reconcile the idea that God created all life on earth with the knowledge that the universe is a 13+ billion year old something expanding into nothing, and that we're just a tiny ball of rock orbiting one star among billions of stars in a galaxy that is itself among billions? Did God start the universe and put in process the physical laws that allowed, 13.7 billion years later, humans to evolve on one dinky planet? If God wants to reveal "the truth" to us, then why don't we have a religion based on that? Why do we insist on holding onto archaic belief systems? Those religions worked fine back when people still thought illness was caused by malevolent spirits. But now?

I guess my point here is that I have debated this endlessly with people from a number of different religious backgrounds, and nobody has ever been able to give me a satisfactory answer to any of my questions. The closest anyone's come to satisfying my inquiries is when my friend ~Aeyamar explained that in the Orthodox church, heaven and hell don't exist in the classical sense, but instead when you die you enter into God's presence, and if you're a decent person you revel in his love, whereas if you're evil you eternally reject it and thus are locked in perpetual suffering. That went a long way to resolving my whole "if God is all-loving, how can he condemn people to hell"? question. But that's only one semi-satisfactory idea proposed in the hundreds of conversations that I have had.

Likewise I have not had one of those "religious experiences" that would convince me of its validity based on intuition rather than logic. It's not like I haven't looked. It's not like I haven't read. I have done a prodigious amount of research and tried to approach each new religion with an open mind, but I am continually frustrated and unable to find what I'm looking for. And the more I learn about the mainstream religions, the more I am convinced that they are inadequate. We puny humans know so little about this magnificent universe we inhabit. There are so many questions, so many mysteries to discover, not to be told by some obsolete, translation-mangled book.

I see no reason why there shouldn't be a supreme being. And we achieved consciousness once, so why not again? There's no reason to say our lives don't have a grand cosmic purpose. But there's no reason to say that they DO either. What it comes down to, as religious people love to remind me, is a question of faith. You just have to believe, they tell me. But I can't force belief. So what am I supposed to do? This question has been plaguing me for years. I want to believe in 'the bigger picture', shall we say, but there's no evidence, not to mention that I have a huge problem with the amount of baggage organized religion brings to the table. To pretend like I believe in something when I don't just seems dishonest to me. Atheism scares me, but so does unfounded adherence to the ideals of a centuries-old desert culture. I'd love to believe, but right now, I can't. Hence the bitter agnostic classification.

P.S. Allow me to remind you, yet again, that this is as self-expression piece, and that I DON'T want people trying to convert me. Tell me your opinion if you must, but don't proselytize. If I've logged dozens upon dozens of hours researching this topic, agonizing over it, and debating it with extremely bright and educated people, and yet I still remain unconvinced, what makes you think that your misspelled, poorly-reasoned internet post is going to change my mind?
Comments83
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Wow, quite the thing you've written there. Can't say I agree with 100%, but I see where you're coming from. Definitely thought provoking, especially the bit about the differences of science and religion. Again, well done.
Geez, I find religion to be the most heinous form of mind control and bigest cop out that I just stay as far away from it as possible...
It amazes me that in having people agree with you and you relishing it that you're not just seeking validation for what you think. Well, it's just a thought.

Your history is kind of hazy and vague. Seems like you kind of divorced Catholic "burning of millions" (where, again?) from the political and societal situations of whenever you're talking about. I hope you realize that if you're talking about the Salem Witch trials that those were Puritan and not Catholic.

Carl Sagan is a lovely historical source, but what else did you read? Primary texts at all from the Church or those around it?

The mindset that there is only one truth, and that YOU know it because you read it in a book written a thousand+ years ago, seems so arrogant and presumptuous that it makes me physically ill.

Your logic makes me physically ill. That, logically speaking, is not a problem of monotheism as monotheism but monotheists.

Also, that's your assumption of how the Bible came about and was used throughout history.

Even if you DON'T proselytize, the assumption that outsiders are wrong is built into the system. This leaves no room for the staggering and rich variety of human cultures and perspectives, because it demonizes anyone who doesn't follow a certain way of thinking.

Well, again, there's another generalization. From which perspective, and how did you come to that conclusion (using specific examples)?

I guess the Catholic Church which is established in numerous cultures which still thrive and are distinct is proof (?) that they stamp out culture. Yup.
I always found the problem #banana to me the main difference to be science and religion, and one of the reasons why I'm atheist :)
Sure, scientists can cherish their theories a little too long, and argue ALL the time, but in the end a good piece of evidence has the ability to dismantle entire theories and rewrite how we think about the world. Religion on the other hand seems to try to fit modern ideas into its teaching and religious texts -_- I think after my exams I'll go take some religious texts from the library or something, as I should have read them being atheist; the closest I've got is having to read a lot of light Islamic books/ magazines at my aunt's house (half my family is orthodox Islamic). I know it sounds bad, but quite a few made me laugh - one said that ''upon entering Jannah a man would find himself with a hundred doe-eyed virgins. . .hmm . ''
rofl...doe-eyed virgins :XD:
enough to make anyone go Muslim :flirty:
I honestly wonder where they're getting all these virgins from...
If I'm a Muslim woman and I go to heaven, do I get 40 male virgins to satisfy my every perverted whim? Now there would be a REAL reason to convert ;)
Chances are you're transformed into a beautiful doe-eyed virgin and your reward is getting to serve one very lucky man forever!
And hell, that's easily done in real life, just hope over to the jobs forums and tell people you have money ;D
WOW! You covered A LOT! So I would like to add to this even though I'm not sure what it will do for you. For some reason I'm getting the sense you're looking for something and not sure if it's specific.

I used to be Christian as well but I haven't completely turned my back on some of the ideals. Jesus for instance is one stand up dude and his story is a good one. There are some things he did that I certainly don't agree with: putting himself up as a martyr for one. (I come from an ancestral lineage that would rather fight all the way to the grave bu I appreciate the idea behind non-violent protest). I certainly believe it takes a great amount of guts and effort to retain ones composure in the hour of torture and death.

Personally I'm a bit of a universalist. I don't particularly subscribe to one religion over the other but I acknowledge each ones creativity despite the horrors that stem from their interpretations. I just simply believe that the universe is too damn big for us to prove anything definitively and I believe it arrogant to try. You were right in saying that the holy texts do nothing to satisfy the human want of more knowledge and understanding of our world and leaving these ideas in the hands of religion has had dire consequences on our development as a species. During the dark ages, for instance, when scientists were being persecuted for questioning the bible on a logical level and thus undermining the authority of the church.

I acknowledge higher powers in the form of raw energy existing as light and dark. 2 separate, equally powered forces that naturally oppose one another on the greater cosmic scale. I believe, however, that when conditions are met for it that these powers can come together in a relative harmony and create everything that we can see, feel, etc. And we see examples of this balance everywhere we look: The distance from the sun to earth, the distance of the moon and how fast and frequent it orbits around us. The distance of Jupiter and how the outer planets affect life on this planet. How much gravitational force is required to keep our feet on the ground without crushing us or letting us float into nothing. How much of each element is present within our physical being. I believe that everything on the atomic level and everything on the quantum level must be perfect but that the life that stems from that perfection is there to unbalance it to keep us moving forward.

That dear question...my favorite question: Why do bad things happen to good people? Well, because we would learn nothing otherwise. Life is not perfect and if it was our species would have died out long ago. The human animal has a need to tip the scales in any which direction we feel we must in order to perpetuate our existence: In the presence of stupid laws, rebellions rise up to challenge those laws. When there is total anarchy or crisis, people stand up to take charge to calm the situation so we don't lose our heads.

I believe each persons spiritual path is one you build for yourself in your lifetime. Each path is different and one of the reasons we have so many problems with religious people is that all of them are trying to walk the same exact path that has already been walked by someone else not willing or able to acknowledge the fact that we are individuals that make up the whole. It irks me that the vast majority of religious people are too afraid or just unwilling to stray, even a little bit to gain the wisdom necessary to hone your life and thus our society. That doesn't mean go out and start murdering people but it does mean go out and experience your life. I'm 99% sure that god didn't put us on this earth to waste time which, I believe, is the only true sin.

Anyway, lots of rambling points; this topic tends to send me all over the place.
Wow. Well, that wasn't the typical tl;dr "religion is the root of all ebil" -type post I was expecting. I have quibbles with a few of the things you said, but by and large I found myself nodding while reading most of it. I'm not used to reading things on this forum I can actually relate to. So, I'm glad you posted here instead of just keeping it in your journal.
What I understood from the bible is simple and I live by it.
Love others as you love yourself, or Do more for others than yourself.
and lover your lord with all your being.

But I totally understand what your saying!

I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, cuz that's for you and you alone to do or discover or whatever you want to do.

BTW where can I see Korra? Is it on tv yet?
It's all on nick.com
Dang really? I feel like a derp now. XD
Problem # 5237: You said that it deamonizes a certain thinking. But theres a problem within your arguement. DO NOT SAY, a book written a thousand years ago. Thats a logical fallacy saying a book is too old to be valid. Its like saying this artifact is made a 1000 years ago, and it represents nothing of the culture.

Problem # 3466756435:: Its still under why bad things happen to good people. Did the Bible say these were good things happening? No. You have to remeber you can compare the bible as a story book. Would you learn anything if it only told where the hero can defeat everything. No. Its almost like your reading an end to a story. Also, that no person is totally Good. One example is base on a real life Christian murder starring Jack black, bernie. He did every thing for everyone, and was pretty generous. But then bam, he kills someone, just because he wanted his freedom. This also brings another point, no christian is truely good either.
[link]

Random example 1: Noah, not all the animals are the same as today.
Random example 2: I guess I can believe a bit of that.
Random example 3: Well, they believe this is the pillar of salt right in Jerusalem:
[link]

Stop using the age fallacy in your arguements.

Ive objected to our current bible is the literal interpretation of God. Like unicorn was translated from a rheem, which is actually an ox. Ox and Unicorns are depictannces of strenght in cultures, so maybe it was tranlated because of that. Like how believe is not believing the bible is true, but it means beloved or to hold dear. This means your not just believing, but your holding the bible dear and close to your heart, and especially God:
[link]
BUTT, don't hold your seat too quickly. These were just some bad interpretation of the bible, and that even if the interpretation changes, the story remains the same thing, god's plan of redemption for humanity.

I will say that I do like the New Testament as a book; I find the Jesus story inspiring, and its message of love and forgiveness is a welcome respite from the God of the Old Testament, who is jealous, petty, irrational, cruel, and ridiculously fond of punishing people [/end specific objections that arise from my Judeo-Christian background].

Problem # 867-5309:Im looking at all the studies you did, but you seem to only researched on the worst of people. Advice? Taken cultural anthropology. At this rate, I don't know if you understand any religion at all. You did the research on the worst of religions. Sure yes, there are a few bad seeds and stuff. But what about the both sides of the story, before going on? For example, it would seem in a religious way that cows are sacred in Hindi culture, just because they believe that human souls are reincarnated. But an economic anthropologist would say that its because they need the cows to heard, and having a alot of cows in a country would sustain farming well.

Problem # banana: I can haz logic fail. Im going to sum up one problem with this logic fail, that you fail to also know about thestic christians, who actually believe in evolution and accept its theories. I know catholicism does work with evolution. And the bible doesn't have to say it was 6000 years that the earth existed, but we insist it because of the creation days. But you have to look at the non translated bible in order to know what it says.

This part we can study from cultural anthropology. In humans we are build to have moral and a further understand then animals. And this comes with those moral things like culture, and especially religion which is within a culture. These are tools to survive. If something falls apart, then it all can fall apart. And I don't know if you really get religion or Christianity. Other wise, why would you ask all these questions in the first place?

I detest the argument under an all loving God therefore he can't send people to punishment. What do you mean by loving God? In parental guidance, parents love you, but they also punish you too.

In conclusion, the fickly word of God loving, depends what you mean. God is made for use to have testing and trials. Its said that thorns and thistles are related to testing things out to find God, rather then have immediate results.

One reason I believe still is that, Im lost if I didn't have anything left of my faith. I know that you can still find your self with out an organized religion for most, but for me, I still feel I have something in it. I feel there is some good, even with its faultness anyway.
I'd just like to say I admire your courage to come out and say all this in a public setting. Wonderfully written, as well. I, myself, was never raised religiously, but I was given the basic information of both sides of the matter. I was allowed to choose what I hold as fact. And everything science-related just... just made sense. None of the religious stuff did. But, like you, I do see and understand the emotional side. During times when I've been really down, there were days I thought about it. And yeah, it would be nice if there were some divine force or entity that could swoop in and make it all better. But there's not, as far as the evidence shows.
I love your ranting :-) Yes, I think most 'Christians' have not read the bible from cover to cover.
You bring up some interesting points and you are more or less articulate with what you've put forth, despite the emotional appeals. I'm wondering, maybe you'd like to re-organize your thread as a blog for the rel-phi club or a deviation (or even another thread) where there is a little more direction and concision? In other words, could you turn your rant into a coherent article or essay, with clear points and eliminate a lot of the emotion?
this is a personal expression piece. I wrote it this way because whenever I write something religious with the intent to persuade, article-style, I get harassed like you wouldn't believe.
Honestly, I'm sick of getting shit for what I think, so I'll just leave it as it is for now.
I completely fucking agree. I mean, who wants to BLINDLY WORSHIP a god that's sexist and racist? Not to mention the fact that his followers condemn gay/ bisexual/ lesbian relationships and don't believe in evolution.
I don't know about you, but I gave up on Christianity a LOOOOOONG time ago. I am strictly Atheist now.
I would imagine, however, that if evidence pointed to the contrary you would change your views, right?
sure. but i wouldnt believe. it's not as simple as evidence for me; it's more "I just don't believe and this is extra stuff to make excuses for my unbelieveingness"