My best friend is a crossdresser?!

Yeah...my best friend is a crossdresser. He told me two days ago and I have known him all of my life. He is in college now but he has been doing it since the 6th grade. He does it once every couple weeks and I don't know why....I really don't have a problem with it. He has a girlfriend and he isn't gay, but he can't explain why he does it....can anyone tell me why people are crossdressers? He says it is comfortable and that it is fun but there is something he isn't telling me.
Comments156
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
"...can anyone tell me why people are crossdressers?"

I think the only person or people who could really explain it best are the crossdressers themselves. But hey, to each his own. As long as it's not some sort of mentally unhealthy copulsion or whatnot (I'm assuming that he acts and seems normal and happy and healthy apart from the wantign to try on female clothes?) - but I'm not an expert on this sort of topic, I'm just giving my two cents.
yup....i think u r right.
If he's said to you he doesn't want to be a woman and he isn't gay then it's true, don't worry. If you think he is hiding something , maybe that is you projecting your anxiety onto him or maybe he does hide the fact that he is worried how you will take the news.

Cross dressing for men and woman can be a chance just to play dress-up. Men used to be the ones who got made up and dressed up and women were the dull looking ones in some olden times before fashions changed. It was to assert their power.

Now women are the ones allowed to be playful in dressing up. You might think they only do it to look good and to show off in front of other women and to attract men. However, something us ladies know and cross-dressers too is just how much fun it all is. We play with colour and shape, try different looks, make up imaginary stories where we are the heroes.

Men don't have so many fun associations with their clothes so it is not surprising that some find it really dull and decide they want to play too. It also helps them understand and get closer to women too. Have you not noticed how erotic women find men who wear eyeliner, for example? I was taught how to use makeup by my first boyfriend, he was very good in all kinds of ways.

At first, I can imagine it comes as a bit of a shock because you have to adjust your whole picture of a person. Eventually, you should be able to accept it as just another part of your mate. The fact that you didn't know 'til now means he doesn't intend it to be a big part of your life too so you should still be able to be blokey together and talk about women if you want. Chill out for a bit and if you still can't accept it, move on but be as nice as you can about it then you won't feel guilty later.
Thanks for the response. And thanks for not judging me. He is still my best friend that I turn to when I am in trouble. I think you are right about him just wanting to have fun. Thank god somebody in here doesn't call me shallow right off the bat.
I think it's a fetish. Some people just like things that seem strange to other people who don't enjoy the same thing. Common fetishes you can see around here include things like dressing up like an animal, girly boys kissing other girly boys, pregnant or just big swollen women, S&M, etc. Cross-dressing is no different, I assume.
I just like the way the clothes feel on my body. It has nothing to do with being gay. And I've recently discovered that it may be part of something called gender identity disorder. Wikipedia the term for more info. I've grown out of it somewhat now that I'm in my twenties.
*shrugs* I cross dress, but it's to pick up chicks and cosplay so maybe I shouldn't be giving advice but there are people who are definetly curious about the opposite sex and what its like to be them. Maybe he's just experimenting.
I've heard of men whose mothers used to dress them up as girls when they were infants because their mothers wished that they had daughters instead of sons. Or maybe it's an alternate personality. I have several. When something happens that I don't want to deal with, it goes to one of my other selves. There are multiple Marys. Theres the sexy, dressed up, slut; the innocent, messy, doesn't care anymore angel, and theres the me that people at school see.
yah...I am the same way. Trust me.
Maybe he just likes the idea of being someone else then who he is.
That is what I asked him and he said that wasn't it...but maybe you are right.
just ask him up front and if he doesn't awnser then don't worry. If he's happy with doing it then support him all the way.
I'm a cross-dresser.
I do it for the rush that it provides. I do it for fun. I do it because it is comfortable.

I do it because a sex change isn't cheap.
haha...ok...if you had the money to get a sex change, would you get one?
Most definitely.
I smell an uneducated child reaching to grasp the false definition of friendship.
How thoughtful! I smell a pseudo-intellectual bitch who thinks that they understand a situation that goes far beyond their realm of understanding. :)
Hey man, nice shot but your still a failure at life. According to your profile, your only 17. I say you've got a ton of things to learn about when it comes to life and friendship. Friendship is about support, regardless if you agree or not. So for you to reply with such a comment is just pure ignorance on your part. It's an uneducated statement. I fully understand the conflictions of both sides of your conflict because I myself have been in similar shoes.

In life, you are going to encounter things that are out of the "norm." Get used to it quickly because your life is going to be difficult if you don't learn tolerance, that's regardless of age. It's uneducated prejudice that you are displaying with your comments in this thread that make life difficult for people like your friend, or any one that doesn't fit society's definition of normal.

What's the worst that can happen? You lost a friend because of your lack of tolerance? Or will he realize what his "friend" thinks of him and chooses to discard you as a negative influence?

My suggestion to you, go find another friend if you can't accept it or educate yourself and get over it.

Life can be a lot worse.
You deserve a hug for that :hug:, no two hugs :hug:
I agree completely with your statement(s). I hate bigots with a passion.
He is still my friend and if you would have read the entire thread you would probably understand that. I just want to know why he might be doing it.

And please spare me from your lecture about TOLERANCE....I am not the one who came into this thread with insults flying. And I quote: "I smell an uneducated child reaching to grasp the false definition of friendship."
Your too funny. You get what you put out you know. I'm done posting. Have a good day.
I get what I put out? And how did I put out insults? Please, enlighten me. :)
I know a few Transgenders myself. not all of them are gay, but if your friend wants to just do this for fun then I am sure its ok for him to do so. I am sure it wouldn't matter. you might have known him for a long time but he might have been scared to admit it to anyone. My friend at the moment is just coming out of her shell she has been crossdressing for ages but she now crossdresses all the time. and shes going in for the SRS (M2F). but she always knew she was a female. so thats the way it goes. I am sure your friend might be doing it for just a bit of fun. just give him the support he needs.
Yeah...I just prefer to let it be. I don't want to talk about it with him