This sounds a bit ridiculous,but...

I've noticed something. My art seems to grab attention when I'm out in public,whethrr it be in school or somewhere else. I've noticed that when I'm drawing,a person might ask about it and it could turn into a conversation. what I'm saying is that my artistic ability id the only thing about me that seems to draw attention and might be the thing that makes people like me. Basically,if I never was an artist,i feel like there wouldn't be much to get to know about me. Instead of becoming friends with a shy artistic girl,theyre just trying to know about a shy girl. I know that this sounds ridiculous,but I just wanted to get this off of my chest since I've had thoughts about this in the past.
TL;DR, Itself like my art is what people seem to notice and find interesting about me. Without it,im just a person.
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
A lot of the time its common interest and just a conversation starter. Dont feel too bad about it.
I'm sorry. I can't see what you're asking.

Things that are obviously different to the norm make people stand out and get them noticed.

If you want to stand out more, then there's obviously things you can do: Give yourself a rainbow mohawk; make yourself look like some kind of 40's pinup, wear stuff that people wouldn't expect you to wear, do things that are a bit unexpected.  Sitting there drawing stuff is generally a bit unexpected.

If you're worried that you may be a bit boring without the art, then maybe you need to become less boring? Take up some more interests & hobbies.
If you take away what a person is good at, take away what they like and enjoy, what is left? An empty shell. So I think feeling like if you took art away from yourself nothing is left is very normal!

if it bothers you, it just means you are human. Try new things and gain new experiences to share. Sometimes that uncomfortable feeling is very valuable and helps one grow.

The fact people try try to start conversations at all is a really good thing!  Just talk about your art, the things you enjoy. Ask about them if you want but you really don't have to.

Also, art isn't the only thing that draws people to you. It might be the most convenient excuse to talk to you though. Chances are you seem attractive enough and perhaps mysterious enough it leaves people mystified and in a need to know more about you! 
If you played Nintendo DS, people would ask you what game you're playing. 
If you sat reading a book, people would ask what it's about or if you like books.

Basically, I think people would ask regardless. It's simply a talking point to initiate conversation. :)
It's all right to be "just" a person.  As for other people, well, if you don't approach them and you don't give them any encouragement then they just think that you want to be left alone.  They don't approach you for the same reason you don't talk to them.  Not because there's anything wrong with them, but because you don't know anything about them and you're afraid of what they think.  People are really very similar to one another inside.  There's a few people who can talk to anybody, mostly because they've had a lot of practice and people have always responded positively to them, but the vast majority of people don't want you to reject them or think badly of them so they don't talk to you unless you give them a signal that you want to talk to them.  And if you're shy then you probably never give them those signals.  In fact you might do the exact opposite and give them signals that you want them to leave you alone and go away.
Well,how do I encourage people to approach me more?
Well first off you can smile and make eye contact and say "hello."  But even then the other person doesn't know anything about you so they probably won't know what to ask you.  That's almost certainly why people approach you when you're making art, because you are showing something about yourself that they can ask about.  But you can display your interests in other ways.  Like if you like anime you can wear an eye-catching anime hat or something and then people who are interested in anime will approach you.

Basically people are trying to find out which random "just a person" is 1). going to respond to them positively and 2). not be horribly awkward to talk to.

Like... last week I was at an event where I barely knew anyone, but I heard a group talking about Final Fantasy games and I've played most of them so I jumped in and started talking about that.  Then from there I learned that one guy was trying to program a game so we talked about that, and then another guy lived in a place that has a lake that I visit so we talked about that, and between one thing and another I met a handful of people and was able to fill a couple of hours chatting to them before the event started.  But if all of them had been sitting on their phones wearing plain t-shirts and jeans and weren't saying anything then I wouldn't have known that they were interested in Final Fantasy and I probably wouldn't have said anything.  Because like... what do you say?  "So... I see that you also like jeans?"

That's why drawing in public is so great.  It's not that it's the only thing worth knowing about you, but it's the only thing that people can see immediately without having to ask you a bunch of awkward questions first.
Giving a simple hello is often a good way to open yourself up for people
You are my friend because of who no matter you make some art or not :) Though I like your drawings.
That's really sweet of you to say. Thank you.
It's hard to be social, I get it. I'm learning too. People noticed your art and wanted to know you. Easiest way for me to to get somebody to notice me, as I pass by, I look at them in the eye, smile and nod. A simple way of saying "hello" =)

When you're a little braver, you can drop compliments on people. People noticed you because you had something to compliment. Sometimes we gotta put in a little work to be noticed. It's easy to be noticed if you notice other people
But that's the problem. It seems like my art is the only thing that draws people to me.
Does it matter? You have the power to change that. People can notice you for reaching out when they're feeling lonely :D
Well,I'm not good at reaching out to people either.
If you really want to get better at something/anything then you gotta put in the effort and practice. Don't ever sell yourself short, you are more than just a simple artist. At least i think so lol.