Language Barrier!

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to read this- I need help!

I've been studying Spanish language for a few yews now, and in a couple of weeks I have a really big oral exam (where the examiner asks 8 questions as well as an unseen question, and we have to answer the best we can- about a minute per answer)!

I'm usually OK with language comprehension, but memorising 8 paragraphs written in a foreign language is well above my capability. I've already started to record myself say the paragraphs to listen to on repeat but...

...Do you have any tips / tricks to help memorise or learn that much text (That isn't in your own language)?

Maybe even some apps that you would recommend? Or if you have learnt a foreign language in the past- what did you do?

Bear Emoji-05 (Excited) [V1] 
Comments30
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I had this when I did French. The best thing I could do was try and memorise each paragraph and practice a lot. We also had a chance to practice with a language assistant or our actual teacher. 
Another thing we did was have a list of maybe two or three prompt words for each question, so that we could practice without looking at the whole paragraph. For our actual exam, we were allowed to have 40 words of written notes to help us with things like past/present/future tense words or just words that we had trouble remembering.
I hope this makes sense and helps you (if I didn't reply too late >_<)
There's an old memorization trick you could use called "Method of Loci", where you imagine every word and name it after an object at your house, such as the front door, the computer, the floor, a strange plant you have in your backyard.

Take the most important paragraphs, like "This is the days of the week". Then name it after your computer or the funny rock in front of your house. Whenever you think about your house you will instantly remember the subjects of each paragraph with little to no effort.
UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who helped me out, even if I haven't replied to every comment, I tried to used a bit of every technique listed here and it definitely worked! I sat the oral exam today; it's been sent of the examiners- but I remembered it all and even understood the text well enough to improvise an answer for the unseen questions!
Panda Emoji-11 (Clap) [V1]

Also, I noticed some spelling mistakes in this forum post- Ironic, isn't it?
I've heard it works for some to write it down on cards and pick them up now and then. 
I've bee trying to learn a language but haven't done much thanks to busy ass college schedule (says the same person who could study Russian rn rather than go on dA ahahahfuck.)

But anywho, I've tried using Duolingo, Memrise, and Assimil courses before. They're pretty good.

If you're really trying to learn rather than memorise for say a test, try reading everyday things (books, magazines) in your target language. Slowly gain vocabulary. Learn in phrases rather than individual words. Also, don't associate the word with the English/your native language version of the word. If I asked you how you were comprehending this text you'd just get the feeling of comprehension rather than trying to individually translate each word. Word choices might differ depending on the sentence even if they have the same translation in English.

I'm rambling but yeah.
I grew up bilingual lol soo here's my take on it
Whoa, you grew up bilingual? That's awesome! What was that like?

And thank you so much for your help! Panda Emoji-10 (Blush) [V1] 
Growing up billingual was.. well, growing up billingual ? xDD it just meant I knew how to say things in another way. It feels way more different than self teaching yourself a language because my mind already understands the words without having the need to translate it to another language (basically it feels very natural)

And no problem~^^
"Don't study hard,Study well " you dont need to memorise it all,you need to understand it. and trust youself you can do it.
Wow,  that's actually a really good mantra- I'll definitely remember that, thank you!
not memorise them. just know the answer and be able to say something along those lines. I mean its not a play. :T that helped me with my oral presentation in spanish( although its just spanish 2 XD, public speaking makes me so nervous, especially with my second language.( although i live in a spanish speaking household)
I think you should avoid learning the answers by heart in the first place but it's your exam and you have chosen to do so so here are my tricks:
1. Have fun with it. Read it loud with a silly voice. Shout it out. 
2. Write down parts of it on a piece of paper. Add funny doodles, representing the text's contents.
3. Think and talk to yourself about what's written there. In SPANISH. 
4. Write down/print the paragraphs and hang them up at your place. 
5. Invent a very simple, silly melody and try to sing your text to it, tapping the rhythm. If you repeat it several times the melody will get stuck in your head...along with the "lyrics". 
6. Identify the parts that are hardest to memorize. Read them out loud, doing something silly or unexpected. Scratch your right ear/nose/touch your eyebrow - anything that does not make any sense. Your brain will associate the text with the action. Our brains are, in general, better at actions than they are at words.

I am fully aware of the fact that using above techniques might make other people question your sanity.
But I also know they work, the last one especially. I use it every evening to memorize where I put my house keys xD
Haha, these are actually really great methods! I can't believe I've never though of turning something so mundane and boring (i.e Studying) and turning it into something fun! Thanks for the help! Bear Emoji-02 (Blush) [V1] 
Well, if you can't avoid doing it, you'd better like it, huh? :D
Good luck!
Read it once every single day
You should not memorize your answers. You should let them flow naturally :) 
Hmm.. I'm the kind of person that remembers things just by repeating things over and over again. And I can do that with foreign languages. 

I had a French writing exam, and I memorised a 400word essay by repeating it over and over again. It was the 1st time I tried memorizing anything relatively lengthy, and surprisingly, it only took me ~1.5hrs, so it's really easier than people think.

But I agree with Andres172, it's better if you do it on the spot especially for an oral exam, but it's easier said than done. I could do that for japanese and mandarin since I was better at it, but French was difficult for me so memorising felt easier at the time. But if you're fairly competent at Spanish, I'd suggest that you just read some mock questions and try to answer them from the top of your head, and practice that way. 
As for me, when I begin to learn new language, I try to think on him.
Now I'm learning Italian, and this way of learning can really help!)
I hope you will succeed! Good luck!)
Don't the most people need to learn at least one foreign language at some point of their education? ;)
In my opinion the best way to learn a language is to actually use it. learning just for exams means that you'll forget it afterwards... bulimia learning is never a good thing.
I'm really bad at memorising stuff, when i don't know what i need it for. instead of  just memorising stuff, I need to learn stuff in a context and with a problem I need to solve in my head.
Means, if i want to talk or write to a English native and I don't know a certain word, but i need it to explain something, I'll look it up and next time when I need it I'll remember the context in which I looked the word up and so i can keep the word in my mind.
For example today i learn the verb " to truckle", because I needed it to describe a very unlikeable person. the German version of this word would be "katzbuckeln" (to arch your back like a cat) or Speichel lecken (to lick someone's saliva).

this may be a bad thing, but i'd probably write the text often enough for it to be in my mind. then I'd start telling the text to my potted plant 'til it comes out of my ears and after that I'd ask someone who's a native speaker to talk with me about the text and asking questions.
Oh god, I feel your pain, I struggled hard with Spanish in uni as well.
I find speaking Spanish a lot harder than writing it.

A app that really helped me prepare was Duolingo. It is completely free and it will teach you the basics. What I did as well was copy answers from my work-book but just adapting them to my own personal situation. Do you know what she is going to ask you yet?
Another way to do it (but I cannot guarantee if it will help) was setting video games & movies in Spanish setting so you will get a lot more use out of it. 
Well, I've had to learn quite a few languages(English being one of them), but the closest to your situation I've been is when I had to write huge chunks of text in a language I could hardly introduce myself in(Estonian).
Seeing as how your exam is oral the very first thing I would suggest you learn are useless words like "basically, actually, probably,maybe" and so on. You see, when you forget a word or need a second to think what to say next, using one of those(even repeating them) seems more natural than awkwardly becoming silent all of a sudden. I know that they ruin proper speech, but in the beginning I find them useful.
I'm not sure what your exam is like, but unless it's the requirement that you learn the text by heart, I think that you should simplify things for yourself. Rephrase them in a way that you are comfortable with. I myself use Finnish daily, but I'm terrible at it, so I often find myself using odd structures like "that gray animal with a tail", when talking about a cat or dog =) I honestly believe that a poorly phrased, but otherwise correct sentence is still better than a broken attempt at a proper one.(if we are talking about an exam, that is) As long as people understand you, it's should be OK, and as long as you don't make actual mistakes, there's hardly any reason to lower your exam grade, is there?
Besides that, I learn things by reading and repeating them several times, until I can visualize the either the structure or the actual words of the sentences. If we are talking about individual words, I like to associate them with different things, usually according to what they sound like, or any analogy in another language I know.
Yes, as welanga said watch videos in Spanish, listen to Spanish radio stations, etc. The more you hear it the more accustomed you become to it. I would definitely plan my answers out ahead of time, and be looking at them constantly, maybe even alongside the English so that you understand the translation better :) then when you take the exam you won't be nervous about what you're saying. Good luck!
Hm, I spent some time in France on an exchange during my latter high school years as part of my French studies; different language, but what I learnt was the more you listen to native speakers of the language you are studying, the stronger you will be for an oral exam. I suggest making use of reliable audio resources on the net - news, tv shows - anything like that as part of your revision. It was quite amazing how much I picked up simply being around my exchange's family for a week or so.
Interesting! I'll definitely try to find some resources like that online- Thank you so much! w00t! 
You're welcome, good luck with your studies. :)