My Life as an Artist

I wasn't sure if that went into "General Art" or "Life" category...

Anyway,here goes..Hopefully I dont come off as too whiny,but I will write this either way.

I feel rather stuck,as an artist.
I'm already depressive,but lately I have been feeling really hopeless.

Not having "talent" never really bothered me before; I was (and still am)fine with working hard to compensate;but I've been feeling like my progress is not enough.I still feel like I cannot make people interested in my art,regardless of whether I show them or talk about it.It's hard to even get critique (Though I suspect my usually sullen disposition make people think I cannot take criticism). It bothers me because my life purpose is to release a comic series that will become popular and....Well,it's hard to accomplish that if nobody acknowledges my art. Not even my family or (most of) my friends acknowledge me as an artist,which is sad since I  really dont't hide it.

It's been a bit harder to deal with those insecurities  ever since I enrolled to Vancouver Institute Of Media Arts as a 2D animator.I'm constantly exposed to amazing talents in my classmates; Every one  seem to be looking out for each other and their art......Except mine: As an artist,and in general too for that matter,I feel very much non-existent there,despite all my practice (admittedly self-taught,but still).I spend my days wondering where and how to improve, but I dont think I'm THAT bad either..Could it be my attitude?
The fact I'm struggling especially hard with animation (more specifically,timing in animation) really doesn't help either.And then add in my pretty serious problems with my student loans/tuition fees...And yeah,I'm really much of a mess.

Sorry,it was mostly venting,but I would like some advice regarding this.

Thank you very much if you've read to that point...Feel free to give me your two cents
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Art is something for the inner self...art is not something to compete with others... The artists decide what is art and what not.. OTHERS can only show appreciation...
In my opinion art that is based on "have to do" or competition or "skill" is no real art.. its more like a handcraft...

what i mean is when i think my paint dots on my paper are expressing what i feel then this is perfect art.... if others appreciate it its only a bonus .. a nice feeling to see that others can feel/perceive what i see or feel.

But if you are working for a game or concept its more like you have an IDEA or been given an idea you HAVE to work on and visualize it in a specific way you KNOW.. not feel...so its more like a job then.

Personal example:
If someone dictates me what i have to do for the commission.. i would not call that result as art...i would call it a job done...

But if i have my own idea / feeling and i can bring it on paper/screen and whenever i look at it/listen to it i get the same mind stimuli/feeling then i would call it art...and if others get the same feel i would call its advanced art :D

remember ART is completely a matter of opinion... just like TASTE ^^
Maybe you ought to change your mindset about your current situation?

For example, if you feel you're lagging behind your classmates in animation and such, asking them for advice might be a good way to catch up.

As far as having people notice your art, I'm also having a huge struggle with that. my advice would be to expand your social network. Maybe friends that aren't interested in your art know people who do? Im sure your teachers have TONS of connections to great people who have at least the slightest interest in your work. I've seen what you can do; you're definitely good.

So basically im saying that you shouldn't confine yourself to the single idea of making a popular title. If you set goals step by step leading up to your "ultimate objective", you'll probably have an easier time dealing with all the other problems that come up
Instead of asking everyone to critique your art, why not ingratiate yourself to some of these 'amazing talents' you've met ad Vancouver and ask them for some tips or about what animates their art?
It bothers me because my life purpose is to release a comic series that will become popular

if that's your life purpose you need to reevaluate your life. that is not a healthy mentality. if you cling to one goal and one goal only then you're most likely gonna crash and die. :B 

i'm not telling you to lose passion for art, i'm telling you to step back and look at where you are and where you are realistically heading into. imo you've already flubbed up by just going to art school. (personally, i would have taken a useful major like communications or economics and worked on art on the side so that i could have a solid career ready while polishing up my art skills all the same). 
but that's me being a little too presumptuous, sorry. 

anyhow, i guess you're just gonna have to keep trucking forward. life as just an artist is hard; it sucks. :shrug: 
you need to stop comparing yourself to others, for starters. there will always be someone better than you, somewhere. don't obsess over it. honestly don't obsess over anything. 
Regarding critique, it's better to explicitly ask for critique from someone whose opinion you respect. Many people will rather not give critique unless asked (to avoid being considered rude). Another thing to consider is that art is subjective, so try to be specific when requesting critique for a particular work, and make it easier for the other side to give helpful critique :) For example, you can state:
  • What you were trying to achieve / depict with a particular work
  • What you yourself think of that work in its current state
  • In what area you are seeking critique (e.g. anatomy, perspective, use of colour...)

Since you mentioned that you want to release a comic series, it will also help to talk to artists who have already made a living creating comics. This serves as some kind of reality check. You might find that you're already progressing quite well, and you can also get some practical advice regarding what to focus on and what not to worry about :)
1/ If you want to write and draw comics, why the hell are you at an /animation/ school? I know there is an amount of crossover, but I wouldn't imagine there is enough to make the expense of doing an animation degree worthwhile.

2/ why art school, you can spend less and get better tuition using something like Schoolisim.

3/ I don't believe in talent, I don't think /anyone/ should assume they do or don't have talent, yes some people build a visual library easier than others, yes some people gain fine motor skills quicker than others, and yes some people plain learn concepts faster than others, but that doesn't mean that people who will take longer to gain those skills will end up any less skilled if they put the effort in. Art /is/ a skill, and as long as you have no disadvantage in fine motor skills such as dispraxia, you can get good. If you want living proof of this go listen to Sycra, Will Terry and some of the other professional artists out there who SUCKED at art school, were flat out told not to pursue art because they would never be good at it, and are now working in the field and teaching others.

Don't judge your current skill against other people, everyone learns at different rates.
Don't worry about not being noticed yet, just quietly work away at your stuff, you'll get there as long as you're putting the work in.
Thank you for the reply,first and foremost.

1)Yeah,I figured the amount of crossover justified taking a course (so far it has been pretty helpful for comics too,between storyboarding and life drawing classes,at least)

2)Schoolisim?

3)Yeah,reading what you just wrote,I wonder why I even let that talk about "talent" get to me; I usually dismiss such a thing;I guess I've ust been having a hard time.

Thanks for your 2 cents though,it helps.
www.schoolism.com/

I get the having a hard time thing, just keep working, you'll get there.

The animation stuff does sound kinda useful, I think Sycra and Bobmeatbag both went to the school your going to :)
Are you sure drawing is your life purpose? It's sounds like you're kind of confining yourself. I used to think this too, and started feeling really depressed about my social standing. But I feel a lot better now that I've abandoned this idea that I have to go into art. Idk, maybe just explore other possibilities?
I am pretty confident in saying that drawing is one of those very few things that get me going;a passion,in other words.
I've,in fact, held off college for 2 years,just to explore possibilities.

What exactly do you mean by social standing?
Just because drawing is your passion doesn't mean you have to pursue it as a career. Not everyone's career is their passion, and they can fulfill that in different aspects of their life.

Also consider that not everyone got into art the same way as you?? Some people started getting serious earlier, some are older than you, some learn faster. Drawing, just like anything else, takes a long time to master.

By social standing, I mean popularity tbh.