Experience when Conversing with a Divorce Counselor?

I'll like to know, as I'm going to go through this stage of divorce procedures as the most matured child (or the only teenager) in the family. Of course, they'll take my brothers words in consideration, but I predict they'll take all the "evidences" or firm statements from me to build a justification as to which parent would take all the kids under official custody.

I'd make a list to what I'll say to the counselor, but I need more preparation. What will I expect? Is there some questions that I need to look out for? How do I convince the counselor which parent is more steadfast without seeming that I'm forced to? (Because I may sound too forward and desperate, I don't know.)

And yes, please share if you have experience. That's the point, actually.
Comments6
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
First of all, don't concern yourself with loyalty to one parent or the other. Unless one of your parents is abusive and unfit, just keep your answers factual.

If you really want to sway the counselor one way or another, then you need to site actual instances of neglect or abuse. Unfortunately they don't care a lot about emotional or verbal abuse, especially since it can't be proven. 

It might help to know why you don't want you and your siblings with one parent or the other. Otherwise I'm not sure how to answer the question. But I have gone through a divorce and custody -as a parent not a child.
Yes, that's what I'm doing. It also comes with the fact that one of my parent is aiming for money when obtaining the official custody of the children... when she's not actually devoted in taking care of us.

I'll do that. It's a good thing that it's just a one-to-one with the counselor, I'd be uncomfortable if I were to talk out everything with my parents' presence. I can prove neglect and abuse, I guess. ..
Okay so you want to be with your dad. That's going to be tougher to sell, as mediators tend to either side with the mom or push for 50/50.

So if you don't want to be with your mom, you're going to have to site examples of her lack of interest in raising you guys.

Whatever you do, try not to sound like you have an axe to grind. Seem mostly concerned for the welfare of your siblings. Try phrases like "I love my mom, but..."
Unfair, but from what I've heard from my father, it seems that the judge is siding my father with this line, "If the children had lived with the father and a proper apartment for almost 3 years, why should they have a drastic change to a rental flat?" as my mother offered to keep us under a rental flat.

That's what I was thinking too! Thanks for clearing my doubts, I think I can attain a much more confident posture when I converse with the counselor :')
I'm sure it will be fine as long as you stick to the facts.