Is it worth it to declare a minor?

I'm going into my last semester of undergrad, BS in Visual Arts.  I only have two studio classes left to fulfill my major, and so this final semester will be part time.

I'm thinking about an Art History minor.

I already have a minor in Asian Studies (between language studies and art history I qualified for it :shrug:).

I only need one more class to qualify for the Art History minor, which is nice, but the $1000+ price tag on that class is not looking so nice, especially with student loan debt looming on the horizon.

Obviously, it'd be way more helpful if I had any idea what I wanted to do after college (short-term plan: work my ass off both on my art and at my job, and pay off my loans, prepare to move out on my own, possibly an internship).

Speaking purely from a financial sense, I'm just not sure it will be worthwhile for the minor, if I can get started a little earlier on the whole debt and post-college thing.  Particularly considering that this minor thing will put me even further into debt.

TL;DR:   I'm leaning towards not finishing this minor I was planning on, for financial reasons.   Bad idea?
Comments7
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Do you have to stand in front of an audience and say "I do declare art history is for me!" and then when the applause ends go to class?
Minors are more for you, and give you a tiny little plus, but I wouldn't go out of the way to get one.
If you see that it's easy and are willing to go for it, then by all means do it. But I wouldn't sweat over a minor.

I feel that a minor more often is for you to explore other aspects outside your major for your own personal knowledge gain, to look into other areas that interest you and then have that as part of your resume, that you looked into other areas enough to get that because you like to learn. But a minor is not going to be a major factor in anything later.
Okay, good to know!

I'm definitely feeling a lot better about this now, like it is a better decision to forget about the minor and focus on other stuff.

Thank you!
It's extra decoration on the cake of education, and can be handy, but unfortunately there are no guarantees.

If you get the minor, it does show people you have some degree of education in something other than your major.
Yeah, that's how I'm feeling about it right now.  A nice little thing to have if I could, but I'm not sure if I have that kind of luxury right now.

If I bust my ass on my art, I'm thinking that'll speak volumes more than an extra blurb on my resume.
:nod:

Personally, my BA is in history, with a political science minor.  I work at a 401(k) call center, and got the job because the HR person thought the resume was "interesting." :)  But that's just me; the subjects I studied line me up for a career in either teaching or politics.  I don't have the teaching credentials and I have no desire to be a career politician.

You're right about the output speaking more than a piece of paper. :)