Was I a jerk for doing this? (christmas thing)

So an online friend was offering to gift some things on steam and I didn't want to abuse of his generosity. He asked me if I had an steam and told him the truth that "I don't use steam but I was grateful on him considering me".

He told me "aww" twice and I felt guilty because I thought I was being a jerk for not telling him my account and added him as a friend on steam to play with him and because I thought it would be rude not to give him my i.d because he asked me.

....but now I feel like a jerk because I feel like he will think I just added him because of that game... In truth I don't care about any free game and I just don't don't want to hurt his feelings or make him think I want that game.

Was I a jerk for adding him on steam at the end?
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If he's offering, you're not abusing. Even asking is not abusing. You really seem to be overly concerned with others' opinions of you and shouldn't worry so much imo.

(and no, you're not a jerk)
Simple answer,nope
What the heck? NO! You weren't! Adding people to your friend's list is not a jerk thing to do, no matter how you put it!
Short answer, turn it down twice if the person persists then accept the gift. I think they just wanted someone to play games with so tell them to look me up on PSN I play everything!! PSN: KatieCorrine
You're over thinking things. Don't worry about it. 
I don't think there's anything jerk-ish about it!  Your intentions from start to finish were good; you have nothing to feel guilty about.  Even if you were wanting the free game (which I think would be clear to him that you weren't), I think that'd be fine too, since he was offering it.  If I were offering a free game, I'd want to do it so I could make them happy!  I bet that's what he was doing.  That was nice of him.  I think the only thing that could be annoying is if you were doing something like, "HEY, GIVE ME THAT GAME" or pestering him rudely for it, haha.  But yeah, no need to worry so much!  He wouldn't have offered if he hadn't want to, and besides that, your intentions were pure!  :)
Thanks a lot for replying, I agree thx.
"Was I a jerk for adding him on steam at the end?"

...No?

He offered to give you a gift and seemed disappointed that you didn't want it.  Even if you DID want that game it would make your friend happy to give it so even if you accepted it you would not be a jerk.  As long as you are also generous to your friends it is okay to let them be generous to you.  People like to do nice things for other people.  Accepting the occasional gift from a friend gives the friend the opportunity to feel generous.  It is only wrong to accept gifts if you never give gifts.

So if you feel worried then do something nice for your friend if he gives you the game.  And if he doesn't then don't worry about it.
That's a great point! thanks a lot :)