I think I might have cancer and now I'm worried

I have had a white painful bump on my tongue for three years now.
Its not drastically painful but I do have to adjust my mouth sometimes because the pain makes it difficult to speak.

I saw a dentist and he told me it was just a swollen taste bud that wouldn't go away because my teeth are constantly clashing with my tongue. I thought he was just right and went along with my business.

But I noticed the bump got bigger today.

See I checked for the symptoms and it said it will bleed if pressed too hard.
It doesn't bleed.

Also I never would have thought it'd be cancer because doesn't cancer take a tremendous toll on the body?
If I had it for three years wouldn't I be very weak?
Comments55
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You have had one doctor, who is trained to notice mouth cancers look at it (ie the dentist). Another will now look at it and probably tell you the same thing. If you have had this for 3 years its more than likely nothing. Even slow growing tumors will show significant growth over a few months and you WILL usually have other symptoms begin to crop up (ie night sweats, low grade fever that wont go away, extreme exhaustion, etc). Since you believe its grown you should definitely get it checked out. And are you sure its bigger? Bigger means like it was the size of a pea and now its the size of the nickel...not that it might be a little bigger today.
Don't self diagnose. 99% of the time you're wrong.

If your dentist just says it's a swollen/infected taste bud, then there's really nothing to worry about. I get them from time to time, and really they're just painful. Not typically something to fuss over too much.

Relax, and if you're seriously worried about it then go back to the dentist and ask for more information. Always consult a professional (not the internet) if you're worried about something medically related.
Probably the dentist is right - he sees so many mouths daily he can tell if there's any cancer suspicion. My dentist collegues during their studies had learned about oral cancers - they're often first to notice a weird lesion and to suggest a deeper diagnostics. So I wouldn't worry too much, but it's always better to be safe than sorry and to see a doc anyway :) 
I strongly suggest you see a doctor, a good one. I don't believe it's cancer, although I shouldn't speak because I don't know for sure, still I hope it's not. But I've heard that cancer not always shows symptoms, some people have it in them for years. It might take a lot of years until it weakens you. But now you see this white bump with your own eyes, so examine it, there must be something you can do to remove it, or at least ease the pain or something. Pain is always a bad symptom, don't ignore it. 
Thank you for your reply!
I appreciate it!
I  don't know, but if I had something that could result with my tongue being cut out because of cancer I would sure as hell have it checked out and even getting a 2nd opinion if the diagnosis didn't satisfy me. Having something for 3 years sends up a red flag for me. I have bitten my tongue hard before and yes, it seems that you don't notice an injury until you find you are always seeming to hit that part again. And it seemed after I bit my tongue I was always rebiting it. But it did heal and didn't take 3 years, much less 3 days. Do have this checked out by an oral surgeon or something.
Thank you very much!!
Seems like a sore.
I hope so.
I hope its nothing bad and can be removed.
Well, go to the doctor. To be sure.
Since you're allowed to self-diagnose, I'm going to take the liberty of writing you a prescription.

For EV9259 on 09/02/15 --

One immediate doctors' visit, follow up as necessary.
Number of Refills: Infinite
E-Doctor's note: SEE A REAL DOCTOR FOR GOD SAKES!!!
Reality Check!

1. A tumour may remain benign for several years unchecked before it becomes malignant.

2. With any critical diagnosis a second opinion is always worthwhile.

Other than these points don't rely on 'googled' symptoms. I have a thoracic lump that expands and shrinks, it's been examined, biopsied and MRI'ed and through twenty years of examinations still doesn't suggest the big C.

Don't panic, if you are concerned, bring it to the attention of another dentist or doctor, but I would say that it's more likely that your bump just reacted to an outside influence...spicy food, an impact or even stress.
Thank you I made an appoontment but Im still worried.
Its relaxing to vent.
Vent to your heart's content and satisfy your concerns, both are healthy!

Worrying about what may be...not so healthy.

You have a concern, you are pursuing it, imposing expectations prior to any reports that just isn't good for you for whatever the diagnosis.

Make the move (which you have) then focus on life...not the if's and could be's!

One or ten thousand days, each will always be a present!
Thank you for your helpful advice!!!❤
You are most welcome and all the best.
Do. Not. Self. Diagnose.

Go to a doctor. They can take tissue sample and tell you what it is. 

That's the only way to find anything out. 

If you've had a damaged taste bud for that long, then it's probably mostly scar tissue and isn't likely to bleed, anyway. Or as others said it may be a cyst, which are annoying and can be painful but aren't dangerous. 

And to answer your second question, 'cancer' isn't one thing, it's a lot of things. Basically cancer means that some cells are reproducing to many times and/or with serious errors. 

Sometimes these errors will spread, which is when you get aggressive forms of cancer that cause serious illness. 

But many cancerous growths aren't harmful, or are simply annoying- these are known as 'benign growths', a tumor that doesn't spread or effect vital systems. These tumors may be removed if they are causing problems because of their placement, but aren't dangerous in and of themselves. People and animals can live for a very long time with multiple benign tumors. 

A doctor will be able to identify and remove it. 
I hope so, thank you.
Sounds like cyst. If it was cancer, you'd be dead by now.
Okay well thats reassuring.
Honestly I would rathwr hear that Id be dead by now instead of "it could linger on for years without you noticing"
Not necessarily.