I feel trapped and no one seems to care

Comment hidden
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
see a therapist anyway? :shrug: 
I see that its quite frustrating, and you probably dont have a mental illness like your parents think. But although not having one, they can still bring you to a therapist who will tell them in the end that you dont have anything. (So that they have some proof or something like that...)
You can also ask the therapist to explain introversion to your parents, and how working so much alongside school against your will can result in a burn-out, despression or anxiety... (It sounds really harsh but your parents really have to hear it from a professional then...)

Dont worry, there will be a solution, you are strong and you are able to overcome that obstacle. Good luck! :rose:
Thank you for the kind words. Right now I think I just need to get away from them for a while.
Go for a walk or something...? Shrug The whole thing is still pretty fresh right now, I think I'm going to cool off first before I decide anything.
Thats a good idea, you first cool a little down, maybe distance yourself a little from your parents. Do something calming or simply what you love to do.
Then you can decide what is best for you. :rose:
+1
Parents usually don't change their minds unless they hear from a professional. This is a good idea, it's better than just waiting for a breakdown to happen.
I experienced that a lot that some adults only believe authorities or professionals, thats the only solution I can think of at the moment... :shrug:
If it gets any worse, no matter how small, I'll do that right away.
Things are still a little tense over here, but otherwise everything has quieted down a little.
You are fine, but the way you described your parents they seem like assholes. I seriously felt a bit angry after readings this, maybe it's because I also had bad interactions with family members before, I'm also really good at putting my self in other people's shoes, the whole time I was reading this I imagined myself in your place, good thing that's not the case or else there might have been a fight.

I can't say your parents are at a higher moral ground here or something, the whole situation screams ignorance. Like when a depressed person tries to explain to someone but that person has never felt depression and shrugs it of as "ah just stop being sad it's not hard". 

Anyways I can't help you, I have had such interactions with my mother too (I'm also an introvert) but she doesn't understand, though it's never been a problem to me, unlike with you. 

I really hope you guys sort it out somehow.  Anyways I'm here for you.
Thanks, it's nice just to have someone who I can relate to.
They do mean well, but the way they've been going about this is driving me insane.
I hate people too and and am an introverted person. But I'm extroverted by learning how. It's for the summer. after the summer you can quit and it's good to try things that are new and hard for you. Like it or not every job will involve talking to co-workers and customers you hate, better get used to it. Introversion is not an excuse to the boss. Stop brooding about it and make it work for you. You're dwelling on it too much and it's stressing you out.
I understand where you're getting at, but it is difficult to not dwell on something that you have to do almost every day...
and I wasn't trying to make me being introverted sound like an excuse to get out of the job- more like a way to explain my situation to people better, You know?

Talking with people is fine for me.... now talking to people non-stop for 6 hours? Not so much. I mean, the whole point of the job is to talk. Not just small, quick conversations that someone who is say a cashier or sales clerk could get away with. I need to talk to the same group of people for an hour non-stop before I move onto the next group and repeat the process all over again. No breaks. On top of all of that, my parents won't accept any job- it must have higher pay or exactly the same amount in order for it to be good for them.

Either way, I'll probably just end up riding it out this summer... if the same problem repeats itself or gets worse I'll consult a professional. Thanks for the advice.
Go see a doctor. If you're having trouble functioning, you need to see one anyway. You can get therapy, etc, and if you have some sort of anxiety disorder, etc, you'll be able to show your parents that you actually need some help, not just demands for certain behavior. 

And though it's nort nice, they are right about the job- a responsable person finds new work before quitting a current job, no matter how crappy it is. And crappy jobs teach you how to deal with jerks and idiots, and buckle down and do stuff you don't want to do, which are valuable life skills. 
It's funny, I've been trying to find a new job, but I do not fit the requirements for any jobs that I've looked at.
On top of that- they haven't even bothered to try to help me find other opportunities even though I've asked for it. I get that it isn't their responsibility or anything of the sort (since I'm the one who needs the job), but I at least hoped that they would try to understand/help instead of just brushing it off and throw me to the wolves.

To be honest, I don't have much experience when it comes to finding a job... all I've been doing is throwing a resume all over the place and it's getting me no where.  xD

I'll keep your advice in mind though- thanks for replying.
Actually it might do you some good to go to a doctor/therapist and take your parents with you.  Not because you're mentally ill but because you and your parents need a better way to work out conflict and they probably need someone with a degree to tell them that you're okay.

I would totally call their bluff here and agree to go to someone.  Not only will it be good to talk this out with a third party mediating between you guys, but this will also take the doctor/therapist threat off the table.  After all they can't threaten you with something you're willing to do.