I want to drop out of medcine school

I never wanted it in the first place, I just got in to please my parents but I've always wanted to go to art school. I just never spoke up because of the fact that it's hard to find a job as artist where I live, it's either you end up a teacher or a NEET. Doctors and engineers are the ones that get decently paid and it's pretty easy finding a job if you're doctor. But still being a doctor is just something I don't want to do and I feel like medicine is going to keep me behind, I want to focus more on improving my art than studying >.< I already feel bad that they paid my fees, please give me some advice.
Comments31
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If you actually got into medical school, then I'd say don't stop half way. If you really hate being a doctor when you're done and you found yourself a resident position, and just hate the night-shifts and on-call work, then find something else either related to medicine or move on completely fresh. Getting into medical isn't easy, and if you already got in and are partially done, you might as well finish. Good things might result from negative experience. If you quit half-way, the money you've already spent was for nothing.

Take if from someone that did something similar. I was premed in biological science, and ended up being an engineer instead. Not want I wanted, as I wanted to be a comic artist. But thinking back, it's much better to have an engineering degree than an art degree (which is completely WORTHLESS). I can still do art now that I got my BS in Engineering on my free time. Don't let your passions ruin your future. However, if you are interested in the visual side of things, and have a medical background. I can suggest you go into BioMedical Visualization. It's a good mix of medical knowledge as well as 2D illustration and 2D+3D animation. It's a master's program that I'll be starting this fall. Might be a good thing to look into.

Getting a medical degree isn't going to end your art hobby, nor is it going to make you less of an artist. It will only make you wait a bit. People have lives and hobbies in the medical field, so you can always pick it back up later on. Besides, a Doctorate in medicine is hell of a foundation to have.
We have a preparatory course at first, then we start medicine so I won't really be stopping half way. I've always wanted to be a comic artist too but you see here careers are limited we don't have biomedical visualization here. But I'm not sure if I'll get that much free time when I graduate. I mean now I go 6 times a week and I get home pretty late and dead tired and the only thing I worry about is getting my assignments done- and it's just a preparatory course
Are there any intermediate degrees on medicine? (sorry if that's not the actual term, English isn't my first language. I mean like a degree you get in the middle of the career)
If there're, maybe you could try studying slowly for it, so you have time to work on your art as well. 

I totally feel you. I'm going through the same thing right now. People around me don't understand how much art means to me, so I always get the same "You'll be able to draw when you graduate, is not that bad" which doesn't really help :/ So I'm a bit glad I'm not alone and crazy haha.
I'm currently studying for a Systems Engineering degree, and doing the math I realized that it's like 6 years of arriving home at 8pm everyday, which wouldn't let me any time to do what I actually like. So my plan is getting the intermediate degree (which would take me less years and would let me have some free time in the meantime) and be pretty much done with that (I actually want to finish the career, but I'll be doing it VERY SLOWLY). It's less money yes, but by improving my art, I could also be able to offer commissions and get extra cash from that. Not sure about you, but personally I enjoy doing art commissions, so I wouldn't mind working on them all the time I'm home. I guess with that I could get enough money and be happy at the same time.

Sorry for making you hear my life story haha, but I'm telling you this because maybe you can do something similar. If you don't have a possible intermediate degree, maybe you could try finding another career that'd please your parents and is less demanding than medicine.
Whatever you choose to do, I wish you all the luck and hope you can find the time to do what you truly love ^^
No there aren't, we just have a preparatory course at first, which I'm taking right now so it's sort of like a gap year but you'd still be doing assignments and homework, so that kind of slows us down than the rest of the unis after that we take a little break then we start medicine. Which is why I'm taking this time to think medicine over
you love art but do you actually want to be a career artist?
I want to be a comic artist, I've always had my mind set on that.
How are your grades?

If your grades are bad, it looks like you're just dropping out because you can't handle studying. If you can't handle studying medicine, you might get the same problem at art school.

We have many deadlines here. The workload is high. It's not a walk in the park, even if you are talented.

If your grades are fine and you still want to quit, perhaps you could consider transferring to a different faculty next year. Have you talked to your dean of students?
Actually my grades are pretty good, it's not that I can't handle studying, I'm just saying the time and effort I put in studying med I could put in art - I want to put art first before med but I can't really do that otherwise I'd do bad on my exams. I actually enjoy studying but I love art more. I haven't talked to my dean of students yet since I haven't convinced my parents, they're still really persistent in me taking medicine
Okay. But talk to your dean of students -- you can discuss your options with him. Better early than late.
As long as your art doesn't pay the bills, try to find the sort of job as tolerable as possible. But medicine, just because of the pay... The responsibility for human lives is in your hands. That takes a kind of commitment you don't have if the money is reason nr. 1.
Art school is fun for developing your art, but it really sucks on your bank account. I am $40,000 in debt thanks to art school... It's not necessary. Maybe see if there is a point where you can take a year off and figure out what you really want. During that time, study art on your own- maybe through seminars, but not through a formal program.

If you do go to art school or decide to do art, make sure you take business classes. Art school doesn't teach you crap about business... and when you're freelancing, business knowledge is incredibly important.
Here parents pay for education, there is no such thing as student loans. Art school's still way cheaper than med. And thanks for the business class advice
Ah. I didn't check where you were from, sorry.
FIRST SCHOOL THEN ART
what do you mean by that?
go to school so you can work on art
Well depends where youre at in med school. if youre almost done, just finish it! Doctors have real high pay, so you can afford to take more time off and focus on art. Unless you specifically want an art certification, going to art school doesnt really do much - most of it can be self taught in your spare time.
I'm just in my first year of medicine and I feel like the time I exerted in studying I could've exerted it in drawing, where as in art school I don't have to worry about that
Become a doctor. You can work less hours and still make good money, and have time to work on your art. You can then shift into being a full time artist from there, and if you ever are out of work, you have a great career to fall back on. You'll also make your parents happy. However, you shouldn't have let them pay your fees if you didn't want to go to med school. But being a doctor doesn't mean you can't be an artist too.
Ah, I understand (my parents want me to go to med school). I know it's easy for me to say but do what you love! If you love art, pursue it! No offense to your parents, but I really hate when people tell others what to do without remembering that the other person's thinking is not like their own (did that even make sense?). If you improve a lot on your artwork, and people love and are attracted to it, you can open up commissions if you want. And again, it's easy for me to say, but maybe you can move to somewhere where there are more artists? So basically, do what you love! Since life's too short to be doing long-term boring things.
don't leave doctors are one of the most payed jobs I know..
If you had to go to the hospital for a serious medical problem, one where the wrong treatment could make you die, do you really want to get the doctor who doesn't want to be a doctor?
See that's why I'm trying to convince my parents, it's people's lives that I'm dealing with here
Yeah, it's not like an office job where the worst damage you could do is delay a project or put the wrong numbers in a spreadsheet.   To be a doctor is to work a very complex job where you don't always have clear answers and you'd need to be dedicated to your patients.