Classmates are unmotivated?

I really don't understand why everyone is content with doing nothing in their free time, just hanging out with friends in McDonald's or making the same foreseen jokes. I mean, none of these things are inherently bad, but that's all they do. And I just don't understand why. Am I missing something obvious?

I'm in the process of starting three clubs - since there's only about three or four which aren't sports, and even those are fairly small and uninvolved - STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths), Creative Writing and Media; one of which had a first session not long ago, with two people attending other than me, both my classmates. Only one of those two contributed any ideas and seemed remotely serious. When we discussed a film idea for the Media club it didn't go by without any 'your mum's, immature jokes and apathetic ideas.

When asking around if anyone would join the Creative Writing club, my friend and I mostly got replies such as immediate snorting and laughter followed by the obvious 'no', 'can't be bothered' and 'I can't write'; of course, as well as the standard 'I'd rather watch grass grow' provided by the popular group. It's like an American teen film but without the convenient segregation of students into prefixed groups of common interests (I wonder whether I would be with the 'Film Junkies', 'Artists' or 'Writers' on the four-seater tables in the canteen).

I just grew tired of spending every lunch with these two girls (who I mistakenly took as my friends) sitting there in silence while they sat on their phones and talked about TV series I don't watch. I actually want to create something useful, something others can enjoy. Why can't I get anyone else to? I know I can't change anyone, but I refuse to accept there is only one other person who would want change, challenges and improvement as much as me. Am I not passionate enough? Do I need to show more leadership skills? Be more assertive? I wanted to get them more involved by having them think of story ideas, but since they constantly repeat they can't, should I write one for them to act out for the short film?

EDIT: I think you guys misunderstood me a little. The motivating isn't for those who already said 'no', they aren't interested and that's fine. The motivating is for those who already said 'yes' - which isn't much but still - who don't contribute. I ask everyone lots of times 'Are you sure you want to be here? You don't have to if you don't want to' but they say they do. Then they don't do anything. That's who I want to try and motivate.
Comments29
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You have different image of someone who's contributing. They contribute just by saying yes. That what they have in their minds at this stage.
You can't motivate them because they've been already motivated enough to say yes...
Find someone whose motivation is as strong as yours, they don't have to attend your school or live near by...
What they do or don't do isn't really any of your business. :shrug:
If everyone had that mindset, no great leaders would ever come to exist.
And nobody would meddle into people's private affairs! :dummy: win win
And the world would stay the same place, where everyone wants something
better but no one wants to improve their own flaws or risk a puncture to their
precious little bubble. I honestly do not think a conversation with you would
get me anywhere.
:) That depends on where you want to go.
Personally, I would think it better to focus your attention to building one club at a time.

With that said, here's some things that could help:

• In regards to the creative writing, try a game or group activity like a folded story and Would you rather? Not only does this serve as good practice for creative writing but it would allow them to get to know each other. 
  • Mix it up for writing prompts and challenges. Use scenes from films, music, words and even visual art from sites such as this one to help you. Try to be fun, interactive and offer variety. Shows like "Would I Lie to You" and "QI" are very good at this.
  • Try to get the teachers/school involved. For instance, I had an English Literature teacher who organised a poetry event. Not only did she invite a local writing group but she hand-picked certain students and encouraged them to read out their work. Themes were given and a lot of people turned up. The opportunity gave the shy students confidence to share their work; the popular and disruptive students were driven to complete the task as they were going to receive recognition for their work.
I think writing is viewed as a personal experience, and most are reluctant to reveal their thoughts and feelings in front of others.
Those are great ideas! I'll definitely talk to my English teacher as you
said. It would be cool if some students she's fond of read out their work,
if they wanted to.

I was very reluctant to reading out my stories, it felt like exposing all
your inner organs to someone. I changed my view now and it's fun for me
to share these thoughts and feelings, but I know not everyone might want
that. Then again, it could be because none of them tried, and they might
end up liking it.
I think that a lot of young people have trouble with independent thought and action.  Schools tell them what to do, parents tell them what to do, people are more protective of their children and schedule their activities...  And at 15 nobody wants to be the one to look like an idiot so there's a lot of reluctance to move out of the herd, try something independently, fail at it and look stupid in front of everyone.

As for people joining clubs and then not doing anything... the reality of being a creative person is very different from the fantasy.  You will meet a lot of people who enjoy a product and think that this means that they will enjoy the process of making such products.  Lots of people read a great book, look at the famous author on the back and think "yeah, I want to BE that".  Not so many people actually like the process of sitting in front of the laptop writing words. 

So in a club you're going to get some people who are too afraid of looking stupid to share their ideas, and you'll also get people who think "I'd like to think of myself as one of these people without actually having to do any work."
I never thought of that . . .
Well then, maybe if I take on the role of the idiot, they will open up a little
more? As for the second point, I don't think those two are like that (at least
I hope not). I don't know about the others who might join though.
If they are young, chances are they won't take things seriously. Sure they hang out and talk about things and laugh about everything, but soon enough they will realize that there is more to life than just sitting and laughing. Even for those who said yes, they don't exactly seem to struggle much. It's hard to motivate someone who doesn't find motivation on his own, like they say, 'I can only show you the door, but you have to walk through it'. I have met so many who want to be artists/game developers and yet they lack motivation. But wouldn't it be logical to have all the motivation in the world, if you truly do want to do something? Without motivation it's hard to keep up the work and progress, so how will they make progress without working?
That was very helpful, thank you! It gave me a lot to think about.
You need to give them something they want, like my wiener.
The people you know don't want the same things as you but their choices are just as valid as yours.  Don't try to change them because it's a waste of time.  Look for people who want to accomplish the same things as you.
I edited and added to the post: I think you guys misunderstood me a little. The motivating isn't for those who already said 'no', they aren't interested and that's fine. The motivating is for those who already said 'yes' - which isn't much but still - who don't contribute. I ask everyone lots of times 'Are you sure you want to be here? You don't have to if you don't want to' but they say they do. Then they don't do anything. That's who I want to try and motivate.
You could try finding a new group of friends. Or you could promote your club a little more (advertise it, etc) Or, grin and bear with high school, graduate, then try this again in college. Common interests seem to be more prevalent and you have more opportunities and advantages to make a name for yourself than in high school. Then again, I'm not in college presently. Good luck to you.
If you start the clubs, more interesting people will join them and you will make new friends.
Have you tried asking what kind of club people might actually want to join? Creative writing is  a pretty niche interest group.

They seem to have found what they want to do, you can't make people get interested in something just because you don't think the other things they are doing are good enough.
Of course I asked around. But for now, I'm starting three different ones and the
start is always the hardest, so I'm waiting until those are steady before I start any
more. I know my limits.
There is a saying that applies very much to your situation.
You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink. You can put said water through a filter five times and place it into an ornate bowl of gold. But if he isn't interested in water, he still won't drink it.

You say you know you can't change them, then almost immediately after ask if writing one for you to force them to act out would suddenly change their interests. Make up your mind. Either you know they don't share your interests and you're going to move on to find people who do or you're going to spend your time making yourself miserable by trying to change who they are to better suit your needs.
Not to mention the whole concept of changing other people is a bit....cuckoo. :sarcasticclap:
I didn't say I'd force them to act out, they said that they would but don't
have/ give any ideas. That's why I was wondering if I took care of the script,
they wouldn't be too overwhelmed.
Baby steps is a good approach, then.