Asperger's, autism etc. - Trying to understand it...

Hello,

Recently, I've thought a lot about mental disorders such as asperger's and autism. I do not have any of these disorders (though some symptoms apply to me) but I really wish to get a better understanding of it. In real life, I don't know anybody who has it, but I know a lot of people online who do.

Earlier, I found a video, showing Skylar, a young girl with asperger's, having a meltdown. From what I could gather watching this video, she's going through a fit of anger which she can't explain. She can't help it. For me as a non-autistic person, this is hard to understand and it also touches me and makes me sad to see her suffer. Also for her mum who can't really help the poor thing :(

Now here's what I'm asking for (and I hope this is especially going to be helpful for those who are coping with these kind of disorders): Have you ever experienced such a situation (whether from personal experience or as observer...)? Autistic or not, share your experiences with these disorders for autistic people to exchange experiences with others and for non-autistic to understand it better. Discussions more than welcome.
Comments85
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It's like landing on an alien planet full of a strange civilization. It can be the most basic or complex things, but no matter how hard you try to get a point across, they don't understand you. You can be asking for the food they stole from you without asking back, and they'll take it as a joke. You feel normal, but trying to fit in amongst such a strange works us hard. You can't express your ideas because you have too many limits, from no one understanding your analogies and such to physically being unable to talk. Your main goal is to survive, but you can't do it alone, and yet alone is the only way the rest of that society wants you. Attempting to understand certain social trends is difficult since you're so used to your own normal trends. That's why people with Aspergers tend to get fixated to certain things, like fun nerdy card games or fandoms. The difficulty explaining yourself is just caused by other people not understanding you, even though to yourself you make perfect sense. That's how it was once described by someone I knew that had Aspergers.
Sorry for the late reply...

That's a pretty good explanation, thanks :) I do know a few people with asperger's on the internet and sometimes this just totally applies to them. They may use odd analogies which I don't get sometimes...
I have aspergers syndrome and I find the best way I can describe/explain this disorder is with lyrics from a song called Leo by one of my favorite bands :Failure. Anyway the section of lyrics are as follows:" He finds it so hard to explain, the way he can't communicate; The feeling's there but he can't say why it's so hard to relate to you or anyone." Hop that ads some insight
Sorry for late reply...

Yes, it certainly does explain it. Thank you :)
I don't know what it feels like for extroverted aspies (people with Aspergers).
As an introverted aspie myself, I often have situations where I NEED solitude,
with the same anxious imperative that a scuba-diver needs to surface before
the air runs out. As a child in a family setting, this compelling drive manifested
itself in what was seen as temper tantrums. It never happened when I was left alone.
I would often run away into the woods for a few hours at a time. This behavior
was of course seen as childish, petulant, and immature.

As an adult, I often feel the same drive, but it is regarded by others with more dignity
and respect (as well as a little confusion). Even among my best friends, who I know and love,
I sometimes MUST abruptly excuse myself and not return for the night. They don't quite
understand it. I don't know if they ever will. But they RESPECT it.

More than anything, I think it's the social anxiety of being in a situation where
I would have to explain how I feel. To an aspie, that feels like asking them to say
the current metabolic output of their brain in watts, or to tell the current PH-balance
of each of their digestive organs. I am simply the embodiment of that data. That
does not mean it is accessible to me AS data. To give an account of my emotions
that has any substantive meaning, I would have to tell you the levels of dopanine, serotonin,
oxytosin, etc. in my brain, and these are unknown to me. Saying anything short of that
is a grotesquely inaccurate approximation. "Talk about it for 30 seconds" Heck,
I can't talk about my feelings for 5. And yet, as a child, your internal emotional state is something
you are held culpable for even if you are unaware of what it is. If they interpret
your inflection or face expressions and conclude that you are distressed or angry,
this alone is somehow blameworthy.

That's why it's SOOO refreshing as an Aspie to enter adulthood, in which you cannot
be legally prosecuted for merely holding attitudes (at least not in the civilized world).
I'm only held accountable for my actions. Those are so much easier to control, because
they tend to follow the Newtonian laws of physics, which puts them within
the realm of my understanding.
Thanks for sharing your experiences :)

So you seem to have the most trouble with expressing how you feel and being around others sometimes. I admit that having some solitude every now and then can be quite nice. And I think you have great friends because they respect you the way you are :)
Well, the thing I noticed, everyone is different! You never know if you are talking to someone who might have autism, which is interesting, because all I knew before my experiences, where the people who have severe autism, banging their heads against the wall and stuff like that :nod:

I met a autistic girl who was really social and talkative, she was also very intelligent and just a great person to hang out with! If she did not tell me she had autism, I would have never guessed it! Then there was a girl who was really nice but quit, but when she could not handle the situation or when she felt stressed, she would just walk away, she said nothing but she would just storm out of the room just like that.....at first I didn't know what was wrong, but then she told me she just has to, to calm her mind.

I also met a boy who is autistic....I always thought he was angry at me, he never spoke to me, never looked at me, even when we were together in a room, just the two of us, I really did not know what to think of him, but it turns out, he's not angry at all, he just cannot help the way he comes across to other people, he has no clue....which is somewhat sad because, his behavior caused so much trouble in school he was never able to finish a normal study

Well, I hope these experiences can help you a little, it sure changed my view on the subject! :nod:
Thanks for sharing your experiences :) That's an excellent example that everyone of different and special :)
No problem! Yeah indeed! :D
I have Asperger's, and I used to have meltdowns quite often. I could be quite the problem child at times. If one of my parents did or said something I didn't like, I could end up yelling, hitting, kicking, even biting because I got mad when things didn't go my way. I'd often get put in time-out for that (after my parents chased me around the house and dragged me kicking and screaming into my room), which I usually responded to by screaming, banging on the door, trying to yank the door open, and sometimes even throwing things at the door. I refused to put up with punishment without a fight.

I also often had meltdowns where I'd get upset over something and just start crying uncontrollably. These meltdowns were often triggered by something insignificant, such as my mom not buying me candy at the checkout when we go shopping, forgetting to put my glasses on before going to school, missing a TV show I wanted to watch, and so on. I even remember one day as a teenager (I think I was 16) when I wanted to swing but the swing at our house was broken, and I just broke down crying when my mom said I was "too big" for her to take me to the playground to swing there. Yes, when I was a high schooler, I did once cry hysterically over my mom not taking me to the playground.

Despite the violent meltdowns I had, I didn't completely lack self-control. I only ever allowed myself to act that way at home. I did have enough self-control to ensure I wasn't seen that way in public, though I wasn't able to keep the crying meltdowns under control so well, so I could end up crying just about anywhere over insignificant things. It sucked. I did eventually mature and develop the self-control to keep myself from having violent meltdowns (for the most part) during my early teen years. I don't often get crying meltdowns anymore either, and I actually rarely cry anymore, but, every now and then, I do end up crying over something minor.

That doesn't necessarily mean I've learned to deal with my emotions much better. I've just become better at not expressing them in inappropriate ways (i.e., crying in public), so, nowadays, I tend to have more "shutdowns" than "meltdowns". Emotional shutdowns are, in a way, like an internal meltdown. When I'm having an emotional shutdown, I tend to be feeling strong emotions and be very focused on whatever's triggered it. I still appear more or less normal and functional on the outside, besides being quieter and perhaps seeming distracted. It doesn't interfere too much with normal functioning unless I have to do something that requires any significant mental effort, in which case everything going through my head is way too distracting for that.

I can also get shutdowns from sensory overstimulation (for me, the main trigger is being in loud/noisy places). These shutdowns aren't emotional in nature but still make anything requiring mental effort difficult. This could be considered more of a typical shutdown because my mind basically "shuts down" due to being unable to deal with the sensory overload. It's just difficult to think at all, and it's stressful, and it makes me just want to go somewhere quiet where I can be alone and unwind.
Thanks for sharing your story :)
You're welcome. :)
I have 3 autistic siblings. 2 are heavily in the spectrum while one is just over the border. All of them are different even though they have the same disorder. All have different strengths and weaknesses. Not only that, they like a motherly/fatherly figure around them to keep them company. It makes them feel safe in the outside world.

I also work at a school for special development so I see a lot more in that range as well. :) It's interesting to see that there are different abilities in all of them. ♡
Thanks for sharing this :)

I'm happy that you talk about their "abilities" since usually people only see their "disabilities". Everyone is different and special indeed :)
I'm not the best at explaining things, but I'll tell ya what it's like from my point of view.

When I was about 2, my momma noticed that I completely stopped talking. I got taken to a doctor and was disagnosed with Asperger's. Like you've probably heard from those before me, autism as a whole has a whole of different spectrums, like severe or mild like I am. 

I can speak perfectly now, minus talking too fast that completely unrelated, but I understand having to take speech in my younger years until 13 I think. Asperger's effects my mind and the way I think and take in things. I used to freak out during storms, but it's a lot better now. I have problem understanding certain things, like sarcasm and when people playfully tease. I've actually taken it seriously and lashed out. Also it makes me think about things more than I should. Like when someone who normally doesn't talk to me does or when my friends don't respond back when I say something.

Autistic people are said to have problems expressing emotions and reading it like normal people. Me, I feel like I show my emotions very well. I am such a sap at movies... but that's because I had my sister to copy from. It's hard to read emotions sometimes, like when I see a friend being quiet and looking off into space, I think something's wrong. Or when my mom yells something, I can think I did something really wrong and go curl up in my room thinking what I did wrong. 

Another thing I need to mention is interaction socially. It's awkward. It's very rare from me to interact with new people willingly and strike up a conversation. But, one thing that helps is if there's something in common. Austisic people always become passionate about things they love. They learn everything about it and will tell anyone that'll listen, often repeating themselves. That's me when it comes to dragons, Disney, and music. Then when I'm with my few friends, and tend to get clingy cause it's hard to me to tell what's actually appropriate for the situation. 

It has its up and down sure. Like in school if it's not a subject I like, it tend to do really bad in it. But once I'm into something, I want to excel and put all my energy and heart into it. Like my characters and drawing. I love it, so I work on it with so much vigor.

Well, that's my story of Autism. Not sure if it helped or not, but I think it's at least a window in what it might be like for some people like me. 
Thanks for sharing your story :nod:

Sure it's getting a little repetitive when a lot of people reply to this topic but it's always cool to see yet another perspective :)
it fucking sucks... that's the only way I can describe it you get no exact feelings but it sucks because you have a hard time talking to people you admire and want to learn from or even people you care about as friends
I'm sorry about that :(
While I am not autistic I do know that there are many spectrum's to autism. People with what was thought of as "low functioning" autism were spoken to as if they could not understand anything, when the reality of the situation was that they could understand a lot. I would suggest watching Carly's story to truly see what I am saying. www.youtube.com/watch?v=34xoYw… . She has changed the way we think about autism and hopefully in time, there will be less cruelness towards autistic people. To understand more about autism itself I would suggest this youtube channel. www.youtube.com/user/neurowond… This wonderful girl has a channel about autism! She has videos on it called ask an autistic. Hope this helps!!
Thanks for sharing these links! Yes, I really wish less people would act so cruel towards autistic people. They deserve to be appreciated because they are special in their own way, right? :)
You are most welcome hun. :) I truly hope that in the future there will be less cruelty towards people of all sorts. In personal opinion I think everyone is special in their own way. Everyone has their own personality and that is what makes us individually so unique. :)
I'm agree with you both intirely.

The sister of my boyfriend has got a niece and this niece is always nasty to her.
This niece has got her birthday on 23 may. The sister of my boyfriend doesn't want to go to her anniversary and it was each year the same drama between her and te rest of her family. I have talk with them. First I have tried to convince the parents of my boyfriend and his sister, if she and her niece don't like each other, she has no family-duty's for her niece.
I did not succeed at this point, but I and my boyfriend did have an agreement with the parents. They can join me to go this time to the birthday of her niece too. I'll keep an eye if everything would go well that day, so not, I and my boyfriend will go to home immediately and the sister will go with us. I hope it isn't necessary that day.
I just go along for the assurance that the sister will not be bullied.