My art sucks , but I feel happy and alive only when I'm drawing.

I think I am one of the most miserable and unambitious person. However I love drawing. I have support from my family and friends but I want to find a job as well. The only thing that makes me happy is drawing. My father wants me to make money from my art but I don't think my drawings  worth anything. What is more I do not like to draw for money. I only love drawing because it makes me feel beautiful. What should I do ? How could I tell my father that this is not a job? 
I don't think he's going to accept it but should I try to explain to him, he is going to stop supporting me :( 
Comments36
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I've had a similar experience, where some close friends and family members voiced the idea of me selling my work, but like you I consider my art a hobby I do because I enjoy it; and that is truly enough.
Don't let your dad make you feel bad about that, and don't put your work down! If he keeps on about it, make it abundantly clear to him your art and starting a career are not in the same categories, but there is absolutely no reason why you can't pursue both. Hope things clear up. :)
I find your art pretty amazing.  
I think your art would sell pretty well, if you would find the right people to sell it to.
Jump on amazon and find yourself  a copy of 'The art of asking'  by Amanda Palmer .  It deals with pretty much every concern/fear an artist deals with when trying to figure out how to create art/ ask for financial and emotional support to 'be an artist'.  It's hard. Not going to lie to you. I've been supporting myself financially as a 'professional bohemian artist' for the past 4 and a half years. Most of the time you invest 110% into what you do and it seems that nobody even notices. Some weeks I make enough to pay rent and buy supplies, some weeks I don't.  Some weeks I live off the smell of an oily rag  and ask myself why the hell I am putting myself through this torture when it would be so easy just to give up and get a normal 9-5 job. 
But ... Having the opportunity to dedicate every part of my existence to the act of creating art, It's something I don't think I could walk away from. It validates existing. 
Well either if you love drawing try loving your work. Or copy other drawings, draw them yourself. You will gradually get better. That's what I did
Thank you ALL for your AMAZING comments , they are all so wonderful I will try to follow your advices , you are some wonderful people and artists , thank you thank you so much I really do wish the best to all of you :)
I have a passion for photomanipulation but I don't want it to be my job. I work as graphic artist but I do stuff like logos and web designs. When I do an artwork, I'm in my world and I do what I want with my canvas and once I'm happy with the result, it's over. You can work in the art industry like me and keep your passion for drawing at home. When I do a manip it's much more personal than a logo, I could care less if a client doesn't like my logo but when I do an artwork and someone doesn't like it, I feel like the person doesn't like a part of me.

You can achieve anything with patience and hard work ;)

Leylanie by Wazzouf by Wazzouf
Thank you so much for your help, your art is amazing , I really admire it :) 
You have a very unique style in your drawing, diversity is what makes someone stand out from the crowd. You have to accept your style and keep polishing it.

I live by the quote "Ancora imparo" by Michelangelo which means:
"I am still learning", you can only become better if you put time and effort into it.

PS: Your parents are gonna support your decision, it's your life after all, you choose the path you want to walk down.

Good luck!
A few years ago I thought the same thing. I had no ambition, but art made me feel alive even though I thought it was just awful. My advice: Never give up on what makes you feel alive. It you keep at it and practice at every opportunity, you will improve, after all, you can only every get better, never worse.
Thank you for your beautiful words , I will try to improve myself and do my best , you are amazing :)
Anything to help a fellow artist :)
   Remember: "Only the Artist of the piece and critics will see all the mistakes, and only the viewers will see the quality, time, and effort that went into that piece."
   Like others are saying, you DO HAVE SKILL.  We are our harshest judges, but if can learn to see our mistakes as a chance to improve ourselves and learn, then we can gain even more potential to get better.

To end, if you don't want to do art as a job, that's fine, but it ALL your personal choice.  ;)
Thank you so much for your reply , you are great :) 
 No problem, glad I could be of assistance to you .  ;)
I second what Vineris said! You have to be financially responsible for yourself. Not *today,* but you have to have a solid plan that you're moving towards - it isn't your parents' job to keep supporting you forever. In fact, someday they may need you to support them. 

You can draw/paint in your spare time :) That's my plan. I also agree with others that your art is really lovely ^.^ Don't give up on it, even when you get a day job.
thank you for your advice , I will try to do my best , you are amazing :)
First of all, you have some amazing art - seriously, the detail you go into is brilliant.

Secondly, the fact that you enjoy creating art over selling it is a very genuine trait. I always feel you should put the art before the money. Looking at it from your parent's side, they want to make sure that your earning so you have some security behind you. That doesn't necessarily have to come from selling your art though - as you say, you can always find a part-time/full-time job to earn a living. I don't think your father will stop giving you his support if you choose that making money from art isn't for you - I think he just wants to see you do well and earn a living. 

But I don't think you should feel miserable and unambitious when you have a real talent and fantastic imagination which shows in your art. In all seriousness, your art screams the total opposite of miserable and unambitious. There are some real stories in those pictures.

Do what makes you happy at the end of the day - keep creating brilliant art. But consider your parent's interest in you - I'm sure they want to see you do well and build a comfortable living behind you.

It's a very similar situation to me - I quit my full time job to create art as a living. I've heard it all from my parents, but at the heart of it, they always say they want to see you do well and live well.

I hope that helps in some way at least :)
Thank you so much for your advice. Your words are true beautiful . thank you , you are awesome :)
You're very welcome and many thanks :)

Glad I could help in some way!
is your dad going to financially support you as long as you pursue art?

if the answer is YES

then stay with art! simple!

NEVER let money get in front of the value of human life.
I hope he does , but I am not sure , thank you so much for your reply I agree with you :)
It is not fair to make your parents pay for everything, so you must find a way to contribute to your household.  Maybe that means getting job you do not mind doing (even if it doesn't make you particularly happy).  Maybe it means doing most of the work in the house, if your parents are okay with that.

After that, whatever time you have is spare time and you can use it to make art that makes you happy.

Whether your art sucks or not is not the important bit.  The important bit is that making money off something you make requires a certain kind of mindset and not all people are suited to doing that.  If that is not your thing, that's fine.
I agree , I always feel stressed about everything , thank you so much for your reply :) 
I have a degree in 3d art but I work in exchanges lol..
I am unambitious but not miserable. Maybe bored.

But hey I got weekends to draw and things.... don't have to worry about 'selling or selling out' it's just a nice little 'hobby' i'm sure ur art isn't terrible, if you draw enough you have to at some point get decent.

As a job and main source of income.... it will be stressful at times, unstable.... unpleasant....
Trying to get noticed over millions of other artists in the world >.>... Applying to the same job as thousands... just the odds of it are unpleasant. Nope I like my simple office job 9-5 weekends off 2 weeks vacation a year paid holidays 401ks benefits ect....
Keeping art as a hobby my personal choice, so I wouldn't have the extra stress to produce.

I can't relate in a way when you say 'art is the only thing that makes me happy',  Shopping makes me happy( lol ive spend thousands upon thousands on art supplies which ive tried bought and sold over the years, from 600$ in copic markers to a 300$ set of watercolor pencils 200$ set of regular color pencils, Wacom inous 5 tablet, I sold acouple months after buying ,books ect, but I also like to buy clothes xD and that jazz) and my bf makes me happy, Art calms me soothes me and relieves stress, it its all that makes u happy maybe you can put in the time, training, and research into doing it for a living, if you haven't, maybe you can go to a great college with good connections to help you have a good head start above other artists?
All things to consider.