First Job Fears

Hey guys! It's been 5 years since I graduated high school and long story short, there were several deaths in my family, dealt with moving on from troubled home life, I moved from house to house a couple times, used to be waaay more depressed, bla bla bla. In the past two years I've submitted some applications for jobs, got to do some interviews but they didn't pan out. I've been through a lot of abuse since childhood and I know my negative experiences are definitely behind a lot of my job-related fears. 

Scared I have always been terrified by the idea of working in retail and interacting with strangers. I used to be a lot worse, in terms of being shy I mean. I've made a lot of improvements. But I'm still fearful of particular things - like having to work for mean managers, becoming the target of gossip among employees, messing up while working a cash register, managers/employees not having patience with me, general misery etc. If I could just make a living from doing art commissions I would, and I've been trying hard but I realize getting another job would be best for me. 

I would like to hear any advice/tips from people who have had an (first job) in-store job. Positive stories would be very encouraging! But please feel free to post stories of bad first jobs too, and explain how you handled it.

I've been submitting some applications and good lord today while writing some of my info down on a post-it note provided to me, my hands were shaking from fear and for some reason my writing turned out super tiny! Britney Spears Eeek Oops  I've never done that before, my boyfriend even pointed it out. 
In case anyone's interested, I'm looking to work at stores like Chico's, Victoria's Secret, Crabtree & Evelyn, and maybe a pet store like my local PetSmart. (Employees seem to be cheery there) I would LOVE to work in locally-owned small-business gift shops and boutiques, but I've asked them about jobs before and they always say they just can't afford to hire helpers or simply don't even need help. 
Bunny Emoji-72 (Kawaii) [V4] Anyways, thanks in advance for any advice and shared first-job stories. :heart:
It's greatly appreciated~
Comments60
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I have worked at like a million hourly jobs

here my advice:

1. don't worry. no matter how bad the job, you can survive it. and if you can't survive it, you can always quit. :)

2. different jobs are as different as night and day and the main difference is the employees. when i worked at one coffee shop, every single employee was courteous to me and there was pretty much 0 drama. the bosses were professional and it was pretty much a joy to work there, even tho the pay was dirt.

when I worked at another, similar joint, there was sexual harassment left and right, chaos, confusion, 0 professionalism, and I basically had my self esteem thrown under an anvil.

different jobs are different.. but even at that bad job described above, I didn't have such a bad time of it because I kept out of the drama... I just felt horrible because all my coworkers were being treated so badly..

overall I would say that the jobs I have worked have been roughly half and half. about half had professionalism and human decency and half did not. but once again, nobody is making you stay with a crummy job.

3.when interviewing, try to care about the person interviewing you, treat them like you want to be treated. that is what gives the best impression.

because interviewers have two priorities: 1. competance and 2. cohesion with the job culture.

both of these two points are very important, im not sure which is more important. by competance I mean, ability to do the job. cohesion with the job culture I mean, ability to get along with the boss and employees. (in other words, do the boss and employees feel comfortable when you are around?)

4. the job scene seems frightening, but trust me, the application process is the worst part. once you actually have a job, it's actually not bad and sometimes really enjoyable.

ok. i hope you do well.

J

p.s. i work retail right now at a convenience store, and to be honest I enjoy it, it's actually pretty sweet (though the pay is not)
My first (and only) retail job was at Game Stop. It was seasonal and incredibly difficult for me because 1. My manager was sexist and point-blank told me she didn't like girls. and 2. I was incredibly nervous about talking to people. I struggled a lot with it, but it ultimately made me a better person. I definitely wasn't amazing at the job. I was incredibly nervous and my sexist manager didn't schedule me enough so I always forgot the register layout, etc. 

My best advice is to just DO YOUR BEST. Your best may be different on each day but really give it your all. Prove to them that you aren't as scared as you know you are. I feel like some added pressure by peers can be nice because it makes you want to try harder, but don't let it break you down. 

Don't take critique personally. Just take it into consideration for your own self-growth. 

Also if there's any codes for the register or percentages you should know or a menu or WHATEVER. Write that shit down, take it home, and study it. It will make you feel so much more confident!!!

Good luck!
Yikes! I'm very sorry you had such an awful experience there! ;o; My boyfriend works at a Gamestop and it has been great for him so far, he's become friends with most of the employees/managers, but unfortunately some of their hours have been cut here and there, and someone was promoted instead of him. (Other employees even suggested he should have been promoted over the other guy, as my bf has been working there longer and does a better job then the other employee) Poor guy D;

Thank you so much for your encouragement and input! It means a lot to me and has helped me greatly, so have everyone's responses! :heart: In case you're curious to know what's up with me now, I'm actually getting a job interview next week!! -  job interviewSleeping Moon Recently I posted on the Help with Life forum about first job fears. - http://forum.deviantart.com/community/life/2071909/
I still have a long way to go to build up fans and get more art commissions in, and reality has kicked in letting me know that I should get some kind of job. 
Long story short I've been narrowing places down to where I'd like to work and thanks to my boyfriend David I've discovered a Bath and Body Works store in a local mall that has super friendly employees and a really nice manager who also happens to be an artist! I talked to her today while handing in an application and she'd like to call me to interview me Monday to be a part of their Floor Set Staff team. I'd be in a team of around 12 people as she said, helping to move around store displays, decorations, products etc and it would all be after store hours!!! This is perfect for me! She also said it would help me work my way up to other positions in he

Thank you again! :hug:
That's amazing! Good luck with your interview! :D where is it at!?
For a big Bath and Body Works store at a local mall! ;O; We have a few malls around here and there's a smaller Bath and Body Works store in one, but the bigger one was hiring and I met the employees and manager and they're all super nice! The manager said she'll call me tomorrow so we can set up an interview! ;U; She'd like to hire me as part of her floor-set team to help me work my way up to being a sales associate, if I want! Floor-set stuff is PERFECT for me, she explained that I'd be with her and a bunch of other employees after store hours re-decorating the store and even moving the decoration walls and organizing supplies :la: I'm so excited! Will definitely help me feel more comfortable in a store ^u^ hehe
and thank you! <33
That's great I hope you land the job!!! :D
Nobody ever accused me of being incredibly sociable.  Me, I'm perfectly happy to sit behind a desk and write.  Or think.  Or read.

All of my jobs have involved interpersonal interaction.

The time I spent in retail was as a bagger and carryout, until I was trained to handle the recyclables (my state has a refund on most returned containers).

When I was in college, I got a job at a local convenience store and was eventually promoted to assistant manager.

Let me be plain - I'm not the best when it comes to dealing with people, and I managed to get a position with not only more responsibility, but one in which part of my responsibility was to hear out my coworkers.

How?

Focus on the task at hand, mind your business, be pleasant and friendly, and get the job done.  Being pleasant and friendly can be as simple as a "Hello" or a nod to acknowledge.  You'll eventually be more comfortable and be able to say more.  My overall experience with customers at grocery stores or department stores was that the people were decent, and nobody bit.  The convenience store was slightly more challenging, but the difficult customers I remember were the ones that were drunk, and that didn't really happen too frequently.  That and I have a funny story about a customer giving me a hard time about showing her ID.  :)

If you find that your fears are preventing you from even getting and/or keeping a job, that may be a sign you need to seek professional counseling (and if anyone tells you you're less of a person for seeking some help, just remember they need to be clocked upside the head.  Please note I do not advise that you apply the said smack, since that could bring about more trouble than it's worth). :)
Thanks so much for your advice and for taking the time to comment! :D Everyone's responses have been helping me feel better and I feel I've gained some courage. It's true I have a lot of anxiety and worry over varieties of things everyday. I had an extremely unpleasant childhood and depressing teen years and I believe a counselor could help me someday. Now that I feel a bit more courage, I refuse to give up on finding a happy job. I have made a journal about a job interview I'll be getting next week thanks to a wonderful friendly manager at a Bath and Body Works store at a local mall! -  job interviewSleeping Moon Recently I posted on the Help with Life forum about first job fears. - http://forum.deviantart.com/community/life/2071909/
I still have a long way to go to build up fans and get more art commissions in, and reality has kicked in letting me know that I should get some kind of job. 
Long story short I've been narrowing places down to where I'd like to work and thanks to my boyfriend David I've discovered a Bath and Body Works store in a local mall that has super friendly employees and a really nice manager who also happens to be an artist! I talked to her today while handing in an application and she'd like to call me to interview me Monday to be a part of their Floor Set Staff team. I'd be in a team of around 12 people as she said, helping to move around store displays, decorations, products etc and it would all be after store hours!!! This is perfect for me! She also said it would help me work my way up to other positions in he
 She also happens to be an artist and I feel we connected instantly as we chatted a bit about a local art fair she suggested to me. I never thought I'd say this but....I'm excited and relieved for this job position she's offering me!!~
I'm around the same age as you , but tbh I had very few job experiences, which is miles away from the appropriate for my age (guess getting a job is fuckin' hard everywhere).
I've worked for a couple of days (which together, sums up to a month worth of working...not much I know) in 3 different places: a Crocs store (you know, those ugly ass shoes), a small Mr. Pretzels shack, and a videogame store (which doesn't even exist anymore). 
*the crocs store had low paycheck and it was boring as hell. Not to mention most of the customers were parents with children. But the employees and managers there were really nice and supportive. But I've ended up lefting anyway, because the pretzels shack owner called me around the same time I was there. It had better paycheck, less hours of work, and it was much closer to my home. But...
*No matter how much I would put effort into my work, it just wasn't good enough for them. So, I was kicked out after a couple of days. Then...
*I've got a opportunity at this VG store. It was nice to work with something I like, but the employees were kind of arseholes and they didn't put much effort into teaching me the basics and stuff. But the blame was on me anyway and I got kicked out again...
That was all back in '13 around september~october, and as of now, I'm still struggling to find a job. I'm trying almost anything, but nothing goes through, and it just sucks. 
So...
:icontldrplz: If two companies/stores/etc. calls you around at the same time, don't take just paycheck and distance into consideration. Also think about which job will suits better your strong points, and don't make the dumbass mistakes I've did. Also good luck!
Cool! Good luck with the interview!
Wow. I've gotta say this has been really helpful to me too. I've been fearful of getting a job too, so I've procrastinated a lot and got fussed at by my mother for not having one. She's been wanting me to get one since I was 16. I'm now 19 and I still don't have one. I've been looking into getting one myself. I'm in college now, but I'm really getting sick of it. I can't really stayed focused and motivated to do my school work because I'd rather be doing my own personal art study, playing video games and reading. I guess that shows you how good I am at managing time. I probably will be losing my financial aid soon which means I'm gunna have to pay out of pocket for school or get some scholarships or sumthin'. My mom's not going to be to happy about that... Bucktooth  

I can definitely relate to ur struggle. I have never held a job, but why not consider going to an arts and crafts store like Michael's or Jerry's Artarama. Those stores from what I've seen don't usually have a bunch of customers. Also, I heard from the mouth of an employee that works there is that Michael's gives a 30% discount to employees (from what I can remember) and think of the fact that you'll be surround my art for ur work day! That's what I'm thinking of. Just something worth considering. 
I'm so glad! I've been so sad and scared about all this job stuff. I'm a huge worrier but everyone's responses have been helping me feel better in addition to full support and encouragement from my boyfriend. :heart:
Good luck with everything btw! Life is troublesome x-x 

I would probably enjoy working at an art store like that, yeah! There's an A.C.Moore arts/crafts store nearby that I've been going to since I was a small child so I basically know where everything in the store is already. XD The employees seem to change a lot though.
In case you'd like to know what's up, I just made a journal about a job interview I'll be getting next week at a Bath and Body Works store!! :heart: here it is -  job interviewSleeping Moon Recently I posted on the Help with Life forum about first job fears. - http://forum.deviantart.com/community/life/2071909/
 The employees and the manager is super nice, I met the manager almost immediately and she is also an artist so we even chatted a bit about a local art fair that's coming up too! We instantly connected. I NEVER thought I'd be excited or relieved about a retail job but the position she's offering me is perfect for me right now and everyone is really nice there~~
Thanks. Just read the article and I'm glad you're in your niche. The forum was truly inspiring and compels me to obtain a job (so I can get more stuff that I want!). I believe we allow fear to consume us and make us assume the worst of a situation when it's really not as bad as it really is. I know there are things I've tried before that I was fearful of but when I tried it, it wasn't so bad. The hardest part of fear is facing it and overcoming it.
Np! Very true D: 
I actually just got hired btw! I went to an open interview thing at a local Lowe's store (home improvement store with a garden center) and immediately filled an application, then did an interview with an assistant manager and he decided to hire me! I got what sounds like a very comfortable job for a morning person (I've been waking up earlier in the day in general so I'll survive this lol) - my job title is "Waterer" LOL But I till people I'm a Garden Center Associate. I'll be showing up in the mornings, part-time (seasonal job) and day time to water all their plants and flowers and maybe do some stock work too. ^u^ I also will be getting paid almost $11 an hour! XD I'm so excited and relieved!~
I haven't actually started the job yet (got to schedule orientation) but I have a feeling the hardest part is the anxiety in waiting for the application process to go through and getting yourself negatively hyped for the interview. I used to research interviews down to the bone, used to try to find out the exact questions they'd ask and stuff XD I don't let myself do that anymore, it makes my anxiety worse lol
Great to know you got hired. That's a pretty good amount of pay your getting. I guess interview questions aren't as bad as they are said to be.
Thanks! :hug: Yeah, I'm excited! And yeah I mean sometimes interview questions are tough, I always hated the "What's your biggest weakness?" question because no matter what I answer I always figured it would make me sound terrible ;o; but my recent interview didn't include that thankfully~
Thanks much for chatting with me! Bunny Emoji-66 (Thank you arigatou) [V3] 
Ah, I hate that question too. No problem. It was a pleasent conversation.
Well first off, try not to worry about things you can't control. If your manager is mean, chances are you aren't the only one who thinks so and it will reach the higher ups at some point, at which time said manager will likely be fired.

As for things like messing up at the register, just remember to ask for help and to let all of your customers know that you're new. Everyone who's new has screwed up at some point, so most people will understand. They might not be happy, but they'll understand.

If someone doesn't have patience with you, don't freak out. They may have just had a bad day and can't control their temper anymore. On the flipside, if this is not the case, then try your best to have a good work ethic. No matter how many mistakes you make, you will be less likely to get fired if you work hard and offer to do the work that other people don't like to do (even if you don't like it either). As far as gossip goes, your fellow employees opinions only matter if you've actually done something significantly wrong (and by this I mean yelled at a customer, snapped at people, slacked off, etc.). The reason for this being that you will likely have proof that you haven't done something that they've accused you of, be it the security cameras at the store showing you didn't actually take/use merchandise or your Facebook page proving you don't take excessive selfies.

Everyone is nervous at their first job on their first day. Just remember to keep calm and take a few deep breaths whenever you're feeling stressed. And don't be afraid to ask your coworkers for help! If they're nice people (like you say they might be), then they'll be happy to show you how to do things. ^^
Thank you so much for your input and encouragement! Everyone's responses are helping me feel better and I feel I've gained some courage. In case you're at all curious, I've posted a journal about what's up with me now. (I'm going to have a job interview next week for a Bath and Body Works store and the manager is also an artist and is really friendly! I'm very happy)