How do I deal with this depression

Hello everyone.

Please, before you do read this; do not make fun of me because depression is a very serious matter and I expect some compassion towards me and respect.

I will not make this long at all. I will get right to the point. 

I have neglected to take care of my teeth for nearly 9 years now. Since then, I have been depressed and at one time, I was out of my depression but now that I am getting older, I can no longer smile because my teeth has gotten so bad and the pain is unbelievable. I feel I am getting into a very deep depression and I'm so afraid of going to that dark place..

It's like I have black veins dragging me into the forest of the dead and I'm trying to run but I'm getting no where but I keep looking behind me and I see this dark black forest getting closer and closer and as I get closer, I'm falling into a more harder depression. I need help. What do I do. I. I.. i just don't know anymore..I'm depressed because I no longer, can smile. I just walk around in this world, with a stiff face. To make things even worser and this is a heavily guarded secret I have never ever told anyone, ever.. I am deaf. I felt alone before but now I'm feeling more.. isolated in this world.
Comments273
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Dentist, really. First take care of your physical needs.

Then, um, what other things hurt you in your life? To know the reasons is a place to start with. 
If you want to have support from me, I can talk with you more. It is kind of difficult to say anything with this amount of information, but I have lots I can say about depression. Isolation is terrible as well, and I will offer you a little piece with less of it.

Just know that every depression will be cured if you don't die from it first.
I have sort of bad teeth, and my bite got stuffed by a dentist. I am missing a couple of teeth that's visable. My breath is probably not the best at times and it can affect your confidence and speeking to women mainly.
Try take some basic care of your teeth and look after your health, I find going out for coffee in cafes helps with my mood. Doing simple things that you enjoy can really lift your mood. Also working hard and staying very busy at a job or in general can really keep your mood up.
I completely understand. I have been dealing with depression, both my own and others, for years. I'm finally getting better and have been working on helping others as much as I can.

As for smiling, I'm so sorry that you haven't been able to. Hopefully, you can get that fixed and it'll help you improve.

Being deaf is always a trying and difficult thing to deal with. Do you have any way to get support in this?
I understand how you feel, with the sadness. Just remember, you're not alone, you're never alone. No matter how isolated you feel, no matter how hard it is to get people to understand you, remember that people are here for you. God is here for you. 
Never, ever, EVER give up. You can make it. 
I know you can. 
I believe in you. 
Everyone here believes in you. 
You just have to try.

You don't know me well, and I understand this. But, I'm one of those people who cannot watch others be upset without saying anything. 
I'll always be here to help, or for you to talk to. Just send me a note, or something. I can go both spiritual and encouraging. Sometimes at the same time. 
And I appreciate you and everyone here being for me. I'm not here to cry or whine but to be honest, I'm sorta of alone in the real world and this online world, is all I have really as talking to people and such you know.

I will never give up. At a time, I did want to give up. I had a chance and in that split second, things flashed before me and it made me realize that once I'm dead, everyone that I didn't think liked me or would miss me, would have tremendously. Depression is hard. Being deaf, depressed and literally having a mouth full of rocks, is just a huge strain on my heart. I can't even focus on my art anymore because tooth pain is awful.

However, I am very grateful for all you wonderful people in supporting me and such. I really am thankful!
I believe once I get my smile back, I will be out of this slump or depression or whatever I am in.
Sometimes, you just need to get things off of your chest. I completely understand. *Hugs* Everyone has their difficulties, but, what your destiny is meant to be will work out. You just need to trust the Lord, and let him guide you. 

Those moments are always surprising, or scary. It's happened to me as well. But, you're not alone. While DA is the only place to successfully talk to people easily, we can still support you as if we knew you in real life. We can still pray for you. 

:3 Most of us will be here, if you need us. 
You got this! Good luck, and praying for you!
To be honest. I've had this on my chest for nearly 5 years now. I've had no one I can express too because I can't talk correctly. I also suffer with my pain alone. Not that I want to suffer it with anyone but it would be nice to be comforted once in a while you know.

I have accepted my disability now. I now want to come out and get the help I need. I'm tired of being in a turtle shell and hiding from the outside world. I am embarrassed mostly because of my teeth but I am on the road finally, to getting it fixed!

And yes. It is very easy to talk to people here. I enjoy that and it helps me a lot!

Thank you for your prays friend! <3
I see.. Usually I tell my parents about physical pain I have. But I tend to keep mental things to myself. I'll go to a dark corner, and just sit here. However, if I knew you in real life, remember that I would always be there with you! Not sure if that helps anything, but... Sometimes it does. 

That's great! Good luck! :3

Of course! :3
You are so sweet to say if you knew me in real life, that you would be there for me! I can't tell you how much this made me feel too see someone like you that is so nice to me and probably cares for me as well,  because to be honest, I started to cry when you wrote that particular sentence.... Especially coming from a woman! 

I don't mind men comforting me but I would prefer a woman because well, I'm a man so yeah..

I haven't been with a woman in five years since I became deaf because my girlfriend at the time, told me she would leave me if I really did lose my hearing because she did not want to date or even marry, a person with a disability. I took that so hard because all I want to do is love a woman.. I want to give a woman my love. My heart is so red and so big. It's not about the sex if that is what you might be thinking. It's about -  for me or maybe this is how everyone feels - just being there for her and holding her hand and being able to look in her eyes. Or, to lay down on her chest and feel her heart-beating or seeing her chest rise and lower and rise.. About 2 years later when I did lose my hearing, she left me.. I took this very hard because all I wanted to do is love her you know... Really Sad 

As you already know: I suffer from severe depression because of how my teeth is. Also, I am always sick with Abscess infections or some type of heavy cough and currently right now, I have Bronchitis and on top of that, I am deaf and I live in silence which is really hard on my heart.

Aside all that, I feel I will never be with a woman again because I am honest with them from the very beginning and I explain I am deaf and I have rotten teeth and I suffer from depression, and it seems like some woman I have tired so hard to communicate with, just wants to have sex with me and thats all! They don't even want to give me the time or day, to even try to learn of who I am. What I have to offer.. The kind of heart I posses and trust me, I have soooo much to give to a woman because my heart is soo big.. :(!! Just because I may be deaf and have this disability, doesn't mean I'm any different from someone who can hear you know?! . I don't want sex.. Well, I do because I am naturally horny like hell and I am not ashamed to say that because I am only human! ( I'm sorry if I am making you uncomfortable with the sex topic but I feel I need to express my self because I can't hold my emotions in anymore.. )

I'm sorry for this long message but.. I just don't know anymore..
Ah, long messages are perfectly fine. :3 I always read the entire thing, because people need to get their emotions out. And if nobody listens, it's like talking to a brick wall. That is something I understand perfectly. 

"When it all falls, when it all falls down, I'll be your fire when the lights go out.
When there's no one, no one else around, we'll be two souls in a ghost town."
You may not be able to hear music, but that doesn't stop me from at least writing the lyrics for you. That's one of my favourite lines from a song. 
Deaf people, I've discovered, can still appreciate music in a way. Instead of hearing it, I bet they can feel it! Just find a song with a lot of bass in it, and get good headphones. 

It is very true. I would always be at your side, a shoulder to cry on. Disabilities shouldn't matter. You are who you are, unique in so many ways. Everyone is different. You may be deaf, but that doesn't make you any less human. I would be there to defend, if people were attacking you. 

She obviously only thinks for herself...
Most females tend to be dramatic, or just have an attitude that seems to show up when you don't want it to. They don't think. 
She didn't think. 
*Hugs* This world will always be filled with hate, and people who dislike others for no reason, like her. You just have to remember that the Lord has something better planned for you!
Forgive, forget, and then be patient. 

Your spirit seems bigger than than you are. You have a good soul, and a kind and soft heart. Remember one thing- you aren't alone. You're never alone. Stay strong, my friend! I'll continue praying for you. :3 Friendship, even if you don't know the person in real life, can heal an upset soul. 

It doesn't make me uncomfortable. I may be extremely young, but I tend to go deep in conversations. Let your emotions out, don't keep them to yourself. I listen. I respond. I understand how it feels to be misunderstood, or seen the wrong way. Your heart is indeed big, and you have great potential! You just need to find the one person who listens. The one person who will learn about you, before continuing. 
I've always suffered from bad teeth regardless of how well I've taken care of them, but it's a genetic trait I've gotten from my mother. I use to be very conscious about how I smiled or laughed, or even what I ate because sometimes my teeth would chip because of the weirdest things (biting a piece of bread, for example.)

But then, as I gained confidence in myself, I didn't care what people thought of me and started to smile and laugh more. Incredibly people were just happy to see me so happy and hear me laugh, they didn't care about my teeth. That hasn't stopped me from going to the dentist to try and keep ahead of my issue, though now it's more for myself then anyone else (broken teeth cause tooth aches and those are never fun!)

The trick for me as eventually reaching rock bottom, thinking of suicide at least once a day because I felt like I wasn't allowed to be happy because of my smile, but realizing that the only person who could change the way I thought about myself was me and I had to begin seeing worth and value in myself before I could ever expect anyone else to. It took a while and I fell off the wagon a few times, but as I forced myself to smile more and more I soon didn't have to force myself anymore and it just came naturally. As did the happiness and confidence.

It never hurts to keep trying.
I've been on rock bottom. I've even had a gun and I could of ended it whenever I wanted too. I however, I didn't want the depression to get the better of me, but on the other hand, I couldn't make my self become happy..

I try to be happy but like I have said, being deaf is really hard on me. People really underestimate how isolating it really is. I mean, when you put your hands over your ears as hard as you can and there is that certain noise you can hear, thats what I hear all the time. Nothing but that pure silence and somewhat, ringing which is very faint of course.

When I get my smile back, I know that I will have more confidence in my self. I don't care about my hearing. I just care about my smile!
I feel truly so sorry for you :( I know how it is to have bad teeth, and the pain that goes with them, but not nearly to the extend that you seem to suffer... 

I saw your journal entry and the link to a GoFundMe page you put up for it. Being a student I may not have a lot of money, but assuming paypal payments are accepted, I've got some money earned from commissions that I'd otherwise just spend on Ebay or the like. It's better off with you.
Unfortuantely, they do not accept PayPal and they have said why because they went to a different provider because I guess PayPal is a pain for them. They mentioned it in one of their blogs. You are very nice to say such a thing.

The pain that comes with rotten teeth is something that is really hard to explain. I mean, the pain gets a hold of me constantly. I am deaf so sometimes I am moaning so loud, that my brother or mom come rushing into my room to see whats the matter. It's agony trying to scream and cry why you can't even hear your self doing it.

People really don't know how isolating being deaf really is. And, not being able to smile makes it harder for me. I am a stiff face walking around in this world. Sometimes, I feel like what is my purpose? I mean. How am I ever going to make someone happy with my medical condition. I know that getting my teeth fixed is going to make me into a brand new person and most importantly, I will have my confidence back.

Please take care of your self my friend.
Look i used to be depressed life really sucked for a while and it turns out it was a medical problem that i had been living with for 19 years. The thing is  depression is a state of mind and i find music helps when you feel depressed you tend to lean towards depressing music in my case Three days grace but if you push yourself with positive thoughts and try and pump yourself up and listen to up beat music this i find really helps. Just remeber you have full control of yourself so what ever ideas you get can;t happen unless you let it so self control and knowing how to change your state of mind is the very important things to note.
I don't know if you read all what I wrote, but I am deaf.
my bad though sorry about that.
then watch something, there are different forms of media, i use music there is nothing stopping you from reading or watching a movie.
Oh your fine. I know. I watch TV all the time with subtitles and I'm always on YouTube believe it or not. I still get enjoyment from watching funny videos. 
As Im sure has been said, I would work on getting your teeth fixed since thats a pretty big thing. 
As for being Deaf, there is an amazing Deaf community most places if you look!
Do you know sign language? If not, you can take classes at most community colleges or schools, and there you will meet people. 
You can find support groups online too. But don't let being Deaf get you down!
You can type, there are millions of people to talk to just by being able to do that. Countless amounts of friendships have been formed without either party talking with voices.
And if you meet someone really amazing, perhaps you can teach THEM sign language! 

As for depression overall I know how hard it is. You feel like you can never get out, your stuck forever.
But you aren't at all.
You imagine black vines holding you down? Whenever you feel like that close your eyes, take a few deep breaths and imagine yourself with an axe, chopping those vines down and away from you.
Imagine yourself running from them, free, into the sunlight. Into a field full of the most amazing flowers you can imagine, the sun and warm air giving you life. 

Whenever you think a dark thought, that your worthless or ugly or anything like that, stop that thought in its tracks! Your brain is used to working this way, you have to train it. 
So if you catch yourself thinking that your ugly or dumb or worthless, stop it and say "NO! I am amazing and talented and worth everything and more than the world has to offer me!"
Do that every single time you think something negative, and over time your brain will default do the good and positive thoughts itself. But it takes a long time, you have to train yourself.
Until then, fake it till you make it. Smile with a closed mouth, but smile. Pretend your happy, and you will slowly crawl out of the dark grasps of depression. 

Good luck, I know you can do it. 
Thank you very much for that!

I am in the process of getting them fixed now. It will be a slow process but I am in the beginning stages of it which is a good thing!

I like to sit on the beach wall and just stare into the horizon. That is my escape and how I feel better and how I meditate as well.

I try not to let these dark thoughts get the better of me. I am thinking more positive because of all the wonderful comments I have been getting lately and from the awesome donations to my fund-raiser as well! I am very happy and shocked that so many people care. Out of all the comments I have gotten from this post and my journal on my profile and my group: Only one bad comment out of the bunch and this includes over 10,000 people.

So many good people out there.
The world would like us to believe that people are inherently evil or bad.
That you need to be taught to be good, and that we would all hurt each other if we had a chance.
But I think people are good more than evil, would rather help than anything. 
I agree.
90 % good and 10 % evil. The majority will always win and I know people will help me. Whether donating or sharing, in the end. They still helped and thats what I appreciate.
Well I'm glad I could help by giving advice.
I really like helping people.