Weight loss help?

Hi, everyone. I'm 18 years old, 5'4" and I weigh 145 pounds. My parents, friends, and boyfriend often tell me I need to lose weight. I didn't want to listen to them for a long time, but a couple months ago I decided to listen to them since they're right after all. I want to lose 30 pounds at the most. I've been trying for a couple months, but it hasn't seemed to work at all...

What I've tried so far is...
—walk for thirty minutes per day
—cut back food intake, especially sugary and carb-loaded foods
—drink only water
—eat healthy snacks (nuts, apples, lettuce, celery, or cucumbers)
—eat three small meals a day (usually I have toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, some kind of protein and veggies for dinner)
—do jumping jacks on commercials when I watch TV
—(almost forgot to add) I never eat past 6:30 PM

I haven't lost  anything yet and I've been doing this for two months now... I'm tired of everyone telling me I need to lose weight and that I'm lazy. Plus, I would like to look better...
Comments81
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'd say more exercise and try eating quinoa instead of rice, but for some people it's in the genetics (and their metabolism).
Walking is a good idea, but try picking up a land-based sport with continuous movement (tennis, running, badminton, basketball etc.) and playing for at least 1 hour a day.
one thing that helps tremendously is counting calories. Get this app called "My Fitness Pal" and Everything you eat, plug it into your diary on the app. Keep walking.. Kinda switch up the excercises routine a little bit. And try to cut back on wheat a little bit. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes. Maybe have wraps instead or something.. Just a suggestion. And when you log into the app you can set it up where it will count your steps. The more steps you take, the more calories it gives you back. Other than that, keep doing what you're doing. Send me a note sometime. I'm working on losing weight myself. 
Play basketball for at least 3 hours everyday, and never eat dairy products.
They're telling you that you need to lose weight?  That's pretty nuts right there.

Talk to a dietitian... no one here is qualified to tell you how to go about this appropriately.  It really depends on your body type.  There is no ideal weight for a certain height, there's an ideal weight for each individual.

I've dropped over 150lbs;  I am 5'6" and went from under 120 to 260+ and back to 120.  What worked for me at the time was going vegan and cutting most fat.  I would eat carbs and work out.  It wasn't ideal and it was for rapid weight loss... I gained all the weight in a year and lost it in a year.  I gained the weight from medical reasons.

A very good app, I find, is called daily burn... you can go low fat or low carb (again, I'd check with a dietitian).  It keeps track of your workout and your calorie intake.  It also has a huge food database and you can make your own.  You can fav your favourite foods and stuff.  I use it when I start training but certainly don't want to use it in the off (hibernation) season like this one now.  :)

If you have any questions for someone that's lost a bunch of weight, feel free to ask.
"the 4 hour body" by tim ferris helped me.

you lose weight at the table & get fit at the gym
I'm really stunned how dumb some people are. You are not fat but in a totally healthy weight range! Truly shocking to read that people are telling you to lose weight...

But if you really want to lose a few pounds I'd do as the others recommended - more exercising with switching routines. Your main problem seems to be the food. As long as your toast and sandwich are not whole grain these things are full or starchy carbs which very effectively block weight loss because they raise the blood sugar level very quickly. As a result you won't burn anything off and will feel hungry more quickly. I don't know about your portion sizes but it also seems like you are eating too little. Read a bit about carbs, which ones are good, which carbs you should avoid and so on. If you are going for a low carb or slow carb diet: as long as your last meal of the day is carb free it's perfectly ok to eat after 6:30 PM!

Your body does not know about the concept of date and time, for your body it's morning when you wake up and evenening when you are going to sleep despite the time on the clock. So if you are getting up at noon don't have lunch straight away, start with breakfast because for your body and your metabolism it's morning. The only thing related to time I do recommend is that the last meal of the day should be eaten 2 hours before you go to bed so you have time to digest your food properly.

Not to forget: muscle weight more than fat! So if nothing on the scale happened you may have lost fat and build up muscle. I can't link to this blogpost often enough because the pictures clearly show that the number on the scale is not as important as people think myspecificcarbohydratediet.com…  this lady here gained weight during her exercise routine but in the end she's slimmer and has a toned figure. Look at it and then you'll hopefully worry less about a number :)
You're actually at a fairly healthy weight for your height. However if you want to lose weight, you should probably up your exercise some and maybe instead of jumping jacks try crunches. And don't go lower than 110 because that is the lowest on your healthy weight range. 
Eating at night seems to have made me underweight so try that. I think I need to gain weight now actually.
Look at it this way.

I'm 31, 6 foot even, and 320+ pounds.

I probably dwarf everyone on this thread, and likely most of the people on this website.

As soon as the freaky weather stops (we've gone from almost record lows to almost record highs), I'm getting back out and getting into my old routine.... which included "pushing the occasional Buick around like a toy."

If people think you're "big", I'd love to see how they'd react to someone like me. 
if 3 meals don't work, try with six instead. You can find plenty of food programs online to help. Here is one that gives you 6 meals for a week. www.womenshealthmag.com/fitnes…
Remember 70 % of weight loss happens in the kitchen. This is were you need to change your habbits the most. If you eat with family or friends, make sure to not be tempted by their habbits ;).

allow yourself one cheat day a week. A day where you can eat what you want, no bad conscience, but don't overdo it though ;)
As you say you only drink water. Keep that up ;) (Except on cheat day if you feel like something else.

As for sports. Find something you like doing. Try out new things. Working out doesn't mean you have to go to the gym and do the same exercises all day long. You could try dog agility, or rowing, or fencing. My thing was Thai boxing. A sport I hand't even heard of before I tried it xD. 

If you need any More help, don't hesitate to send me a note. It can be really hard to begin, and having somebody there, who is going through the same challenge, or has experienced it, can be a great help :) 
To lose weight you should eat 200-500 calories less than your recommended caloric intake. To find that you multiply your weight by 16. It seems like you aren't eating nearly enough. Starving yourself causes your body to use less calories.

2 hours of walking at 3.5 mph = 500 calories

Edit: You mentioned that you take medication that causes you nausea. Is there any way you could get your doctor to prescribe you an anti-nausea?
Get better people around you, you're a normal weight and those dipshits won't think otherwise until you have a bones sticking out.
30 minutes a day is the recommendation for someone that hasn't really been physically active in a while. it's more of a starting point for a fitness plan, and isn't really a sufficient workout. once you nail the 30 mins, you should go for an extra 15, then eventually another 15, etc., until you're satisfied with yourself. A nice goal that I'd set would be an hour and a half of exercise per day, for 5 or 6 days a week. And it shouldn't just be running, I would incorporate squats, aerobics, pushups, and so forth, so as to challenge and activate all parts of the body.
thank you so much for the advice! i knew i was missing something to it my daily exercise plan. this is really helpful. again thank you!
The smell of superficial men in here makes me sick.
Waaaah, encouraging someone to get an active and healthy lifestyle is literally oppression and totes superficial. 

lol are you serious?
Yes.

People have seriously injured themselves - or even killed themselves - because they focused more on looks and a bogus target weight than actual fitness. 
Which is why my comment focused on actual healthy eating habits and quality fitness.  What she's doing now isn't effective.  And what she was doing previously, sitting on her ass and eating unhealthily, is also a poor choice.  That leads to an early death.  You're focusing on an extreme(that bad diet/bad workout can be unhealthy) to justify a stupid point, that she shouldn't exercise or eat healthy.  

So to summarize: yes I agree she shouldn't lose weight for the sake of losing weight, especially if she's using extreme, unhealthy measures.  But she SHOULD adopt a healthy lifestyle, diet and exercise included.  And judging by her means of exercise(a slow walk every day?  Seriously?), adhering to an actual exercise regimen isn't a bad idea, even if she's at a normal weight.  
Because why does she need to be any skinnier? Lmfao she's already healthy as told by her doctor. 
The doctor said she was at a healthy weight.  That's it.  I'm assuming your smart enough to know "weight" isn't the ONLY indicator of health.  Being at a healthy weight doesn't mean she's in shape or physically fit, only means she's not significantly overweight or underweight.  The fact that she doesn't work out probably means a lot of that weight is fat, not muscle.  There's nothing wrong with finally getting off your ass and getting physically active, it can only prolong your life, reduce your risk for cardiovascular disease, make you stronger and more durable,  and make you look better, even if you're at a normal weight.  
Oh shut up, 145 is fucking average and she is working out.

I am fucking around 105 lb (pretty damn skinny, can't help it, got a boss metobolism) and I am probably the most out of shape person on here.

Why does any woman online have to listen to your standards anyway? Its not like you are going to meet offline and bang the fuck out eachother :U lol, and plus she isn't unhealthily overweight so what is your issue?

Also, as a man you should know that one the few things men do understand about women is that women generally don't like it when you criticize their weight especially if you think you are "helping them." Just drop it dude, its not worth getting into a fight over.
Bullshit, you dumb idiot.  She's not working out, she's barely remaining active.  Walking half an hour a day isn't a workout unless you're five years old or 85 years old.  My fifty-something year old mom jogs several miles every day.  My fifty-something dad bikes to and from work, which includes straight up a fucking hill for a couple miles.  

I am fucking around 105 lb (pretty damn skinny, can't help it, got a boss metobolism) and I am probably the most out of shape person on here.

That's my point, you deaf dumbshits.  Weight doesn't mean shit, your activity level and diet does.  Her activity level and diet are not the best, thus I'm saying she should do some research and get a healthy active lifestyle.  That's it.  Anything else you pull from that comment is your own butthurt projections.  Hell, if you're not eating right or working out then I would recommend the same thing to you.  EVERYONE would benefit from a good diet and ACTUAL physical activity, that's all I've been trying to say.  

Why does any woman online have to listen to your standards anyway?  

Because she's asking  for advice and I've successfully gotten into shape, detective dipshit.  

she isn't unhealthily overweight so what is your issue? 

Honestly I don't mind repeating myself, so I'll do it again.  The issue is that I believe all responsible adults should take care of their bodies.  Weight doesn't fucking matter, getting in shape does.  And that's all I've been advocating, stop getting triggered like a whiny woman.  

women generally don't like it when you criticize their weight especially if you think you are "helping them."

Except she's asking for help about her weight, you raging pussy.  If people can't handle criticism about their weight, they should do something  about it.  

Try harder, you girly manbaby.  
Dropping insults like that isn't helping the matter of people not taking you seriously. 
View all replies