Questions About Jobs

I'm looking for a part time job that'll provide me a bit of money while I go back to studies next year. Since I need to pick up some more skills to continue my professional career.

I've never worked in a store, cafe, fast food or anything like that, so I have no idea what it's like to be on the "other side". I'm used to having people serve me, not the other way around. So I want to ask a couple of questions:

1. What jobs are there that don't require prior experience or qualifications AND are not going to be picky about my age (I'm over 25) or gender (female)?*

2. What's the absolute worst you've experienced in your job? Was it a once-off or did it happen almost every day? How did you cope?

(I'm not trying to scare myself. This is more about easing my fears and/or understanding my limits.)

* I've thought about pet-sitting, but I already live in a house with pets (not my own) and have to deal with them constantly.
Comments16
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
cafés, fast food, and such are for those with no education at all, although it can be required that you are fast and know how to give the best service ever etc. If you have a degree you can get a part time job within that field. 

But honestly contacts make more than half the job. I've heard about people who lack education and yet got positions such as game developers. So really, contacts are really powerful. 

It's ok to study even if you are 25 or older, but keep in mind that the more time that goes, the harder it will be to get a job. You need some kind of experience, network, contacts. 

All jobs have pros and cons. The worst thing was during my internship actually, unpaid, and I had the worst boss ever. He was literally picking on all his employees, didn't pay on time, treated us like crap. Eventually most of the employees left him. He told me that I needed more experience and asked me to come back in a year. But of course, I stayed as long as I could because people around me told me that I needed experience. But as soon as he fired me, I told myself I would never go back. Guess what, I found something better. I asked for a certificate that proved I truly worked there, even for just internship, but he never sent me anything. Really, I did learn a few things but the best thing that happened to me was to go away from there. 
Hello,
What about a Forklift Operator for a Part-Time job?
One option is to complete the training with Forklift Academy, they also offer online Forklift Safety Training. www.forkliftacademy.com
Daniel
What are you studying? You might be able to find a paid internship in that field. If you're taking classes on a campus, check out jobs on campus. (In college I worked in dining services, and then at the art museum on campus). 

Jobs with no prior experience is often retail-related. With the holidays coming up make you can find a part-time retail job that might hire you on full time when the holidays are over. I also highly recommend checking out your local temp agencies. The place I'm working at now usually hires entry-level people through a temp agency as temps, and then if they like them they'll hire them onto the company. Temp agencies are also good if you're not looking for something long-term. 
I am looking at Christmas casual retail right now, but am also considering volunteering in a charity op-shop so that I at least have the beginnings of retail experience.
I'm a sales associate at a large, fairly nice department store and I love it. I've worked there for a year now. I didn't have much relevant experience, just a bunch of random things, but I pointed out my adaptability and people skills in the interview. I have the opportunity to make commission on my sales, which sort of makes up for the low wage.

I'm an introvert, so making small talk with strangers was difficult at first, but it's been wonderful practice. Despite all the customer horror stories I've read on notalwaysright.com, I mainly encounter nice people. Even grouchy ones often cheer up if you're nice to them. Your mileage may vary depending on your store's customer base.

Absolute worst experience? That happened today, but it was a coworker who was mean to me. She berated me for small things until I started crying. I went home, cried some more, reassured myself that her opinion didn't matter, and called my mom to gripe about it. If you've ever gotten through anything like that, congrats, you can handle a job :lol:

Just keep putting yourself out there and you'll find a good match :)
Thank you for your story Valkeus-and-Varya. I am a little scared of people being mean, but I do live in a generally polite city. (I want to avoid being out at night, because that's when people can turn rowdy.)
Makes sense. The way I see it, people can be mean in any setting, and that shouldn't deter you from taking risks. Be careful going home at night, of course.

One caveat: Before you apply to a job, go to their store or use their services as a customer. If the employees and other customers have a good attitude, go for it. If the store is pleasant to shop at, go for it. If you get bad vibes, skip it. I loved my workplace as a customer before I ever applied there, and I like being on the other side of the register just as well.
Just take any job you can get. If you don't like it, move on to the next.
Easier said than done! :lol: Maybe I can find something that has high demand.
Uhm, nothing legal comes to mind... :blush:
Many service jobs don't require prior experience or advanced education, but you aren't going to make much. They are:

Waitress
Barista
Sales Associate
Cleaner / Maid
Cashier
Stocker (Rarely may require forklift certification)
Line Cook / Fast Food Cook (Requires food handler's cert., but that's easy to get)
Commercial Driver (Taxi, bus, etc. Requires CDL)

If you are working to primarily gain skills, I would recommend any type of sales position. Sales will give you plenty of practice interacting with people and building soft skills.

Any "behind the scenes" type jobs like maid and fast food will not make you better at soft skills because you won't be interacting much with customers, but you'll learn the fastest way to put ketchup on a burger...
Thank you for the reply. I have tried sales, but the employer decided not to keep me because I couldn't make any sales. I really hate twisting people's arms.
Sales isn't about twisting people's arms. Well, it shouldn't be. If you feel forced to sell then you either aren't doing it properly, or you have a really bad manager, or a really bad product. If it's your manager or product, then leave.  It's not your fault you feel like a shyster when you're selling an inferior product. Continuing to try to sell shoddy products to people isn't only going to make you feel horrible because you know they're bad products, but it really, really hurts your reputation.

Proper sales is about matching the right client to the right product or service (typically yours, but not always.) It's a conversation, not a lecture.

You're going to need sales skills no matter what job you hold. That's why I recommend sales positions for people at the entry-level.
Most entry level jobs would work eg retail, cleaning, waitress, baby-sitting, tutoring. If you check your University they should advertise term time jobs you can get. If you dont have any previous experience it can be more difficult but i you write a good CV and you have good references from your supervisors etc then it shouldn't matter. at those kinds of jobs they dont really care they just want to know you are somewhat competent. you could also take into consideration what you are studying/what you want to do with your degree, that might be able to help you decide what kind of job you can get that would get you relevant experience. you might be surprised what kind of work you can find in your field that doesn't require a qualification or experience.
Thank you for your reply T-Rissy.

I doubt there is anything in this industry that will accept people with low/no experience. I will talk to course coordinators to see if they have any ideas.