Managing depression and art block

Hey guys,
I seem to be finding myself in a slump, I have diagnosed depression and have been under medication for some time now. The medication has brought me out of the hardest part but I am still learning to manage my depression and the feelings that come and go. I will feel pretty neutral for a while before going into 2 week or month long sections of just feeling really down.

What I want to know is how most people manage creating art when struggling with depression? More often than not when I get a time period of depression it kills all art motivation and I end up with huge amounts of art block.

This wouldn't be a huge problem if art wasn't what I want to do with my life. I have to learn to do art while feeling down in order to keep a good job one day. Advice?
What helps you?
Comments17
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I've had psychosis with points of depression. My hands would be shaking from medication when it was heavier but i still kept drawing, one could say it was impossible but I did it anyway. Drawing/Painting is very good for your head, just like reading.
Confirm the source of your motivation. Realize that art is a way out of depression.

By the way, I'm sorry to hear you have depression. It's terrible, isn't it. Like, words don't describe how terrible it is.
But! Life can be enjoyed. Fill it with enjoyable things, and you too, shall enjoy it.
The main reason why I won't produce art for a long time is because of depression. I'm going through art block again because I can't afford to stay on medication for anxiety so I'm coming down from it.
I try and make myself more socialable (which is hard) and I'll pin inspiration on Pinterest to try and get some form of idea of what to draw.
I wish I had more to offer but I'm struggling through it too hah.
I've gone through the same thing, though I haven't been diagnosed this sounds like me 0.0; well, what I did to help was to stop working on art for a bit- I was getting frustrated that I couldn't do any art so I was like, take a break from it- sometimes forcing yourself to do it is even worse ^^; though, sometimes drawing how you are feeling can help too :3 but what works better for me is the break, playing video games or watching something funny :nod: then I start looking on here or art blogs and start to feel inspired again~ and as most people say that I should follow- exercise! or manual labor, it really does keep your mind occupied and exercising (I used to take pilates) it would make me feel so healthy and energized! good luck! :)
In my case it helps to get out of my own head and help someone else. Nothing puts your life in perspective more than helping somebody worse off than yourself. Switching it up and doing some physical stuff helps - sometimes I get out and do some manual work like gardening; if the physical stuff is absorbing it stops you thinking too much. So when the art is coming don't beat yourself up - a quick change up as I said above and you can come back refreshed.
If I can be candid for a moment, you might want to try and incorporate your unhappy feelings into your future art projects. I've too lead a depressing life, and artist's block only adds unnecessary stress, so, sometimes, I release my emotions onto a piece of paper or canvas; anything goes. There is no guarantee that this method will work, but it usually helps me, and it may help you. Hang in there.  :cheer up hug: 
Thank you uvu I will do my best. and I have done vent art type things when I feel bad emotions. I can try with these more nuetral down ones as well. thank you for the insight uvu
I've found that staying away from the internet for a few days helped get some ideas flowing back to me when I felt I had art block. (It's ironic because I'm too lazy to draw out any of the "ideas" I came up with anyway, but it did help. :lol:)
And another thing is if you don't feel up to drawing, don't force yourself. I run into the thought of "I want to pursue art as a career, but how can I if I don't put out something good and that I'm proud of every day?" often. Forcing yourself to draw when you're not in the mood/not up to it just ends in poor results and disappointment, as it may not've turned out as good as you wanted. (I know the feeling all too well. ;___; )

Maybe if you don't feel like drawing anything in particular and just want to draw something, try figure drawing? You don't really have to do a lot of thinking when you're figure drawing, AND figure drawings look really nice in art portfolios. 
Actually you are totally right. I feel when I am in the midst of an art block one of the few things I can do is figure drawing uvu. I struggle a lot with the thought of "How can I do this as a career if I cant do this as a student" and it honestly makes it all worse in the end
i've always found that taking time to do other things during an art block, for example reading a good book or watching an awesome show, usually helps, because it helps to take your mind off of art. Plus, inspiration can come from the strangest of places. it also helps to get out and about in the fresh air.
Music, travel, try new foods, hang out with close friends and meet new people with them , --- breathe
listening to music is always good. Try to avoid sombre sad music and head to more lively, cheerful, cute and/or awesome music instead. Music is often my biggest inspiration for art and stories, so maybe it'll help you :)
I also have depression (with anxiety and panic disorder). 
It's what my blog, www.theanxietygirlonline.com is about.
Having a blog forces me to look for ways to be inspired.
Try Pinterest or just browsing around DA for goodies.

MLP always helps too ^^
I look at ocs... it helps me with inspiuration or y'know watch old mlp episodes
Watching mlp always puts a smile on my face uvu