Moneyless hobby ideas for my interests

I suffer from pretty bad bipolar depression. All I do is work (65 hours a week) and sleep. Once in a blue moon my boyfriend and I will do something together. My therapist told me I need something to look forward to in my free time, a hobby that doesnt cost much. Her ideas were kinda useless, but she does have a point, but my interests are very fine tuned, and if I'm not interested in it, I won't do it.

I've ridden horses for 15 years, even had my own for a mere 3 years but had to give her up because my parents couldnt afford board. Now even though I work 65 hours a week, I make minimum wage, and have bills to pay, and there's no way in hell I can afford board for a horse. I have tried every single stable within a 50 mile radius and cant even find one to let me work for board. I'm also sick and tired of putting time into other people's horses for them to just turn around and screw me over. I do, however, collect toy horses...I'm 20 years old, so what! Anyways, that takes money, which I don't have much of. I like making stuff for them, but again, money for supplies...ugh!!!

Okay, let's move on, interest #2, reptiles. I have a few pet reptiles (seeing how I can't have a horse). I love them to death, but there's not really much you can do with them? I'd love to do presentations and whatnot with them, but very few people are comfortable with a 20 year old handling a 7 foot boa in a classroom...plus theres a huge liability risk, possibly a business license, etc. It's annoying.

Photography, I don't necessarily love it, but I do like it. I might have an ancient fujifilm camera, but it's better than nothing. Now, what I don't have, is a computer to upload photos on...my laptop crashed a couple weeks ago and I can only use my work computer, but will be changing positions soon and won't have it anymore. So, that doesn't really help me much...

I like mudding, but again, too poor to have my own quad or dirtbike. My boyfriends quad has been blown up for a year and he's too lazy to fix it, I can't afford to fix it, and he's afraid I'll get hurt riding his dirtbike...my therapist suggested I go along and watch him ride with his friends...I tried to explain to her that I'd be sitting in the truck for 2 hours watching nothing because there's miles of trails, not just a single pit.

I absolutely love fishing, but refuse to go by myself (for various reasons) and it's just no fun. My boyfriend and I's work schedules usually clash, so we usually can't go together often. We went maybe 3 times this year. And, I have very few friends. I have pretty bad social anxiety, so making friends isn't easy, at all. And I'm really specific with who I want to go with. Some people I can tolerate, some I can't. My solution to this was to get a dog...I would absolutely LOVE to have a dog to keep me company while fishing, BUT I live with my boyfriend and his parents...they said no -.-

So, I apologize for such a long post, but I'm at a loss. I'm very limited with what I can do. I'm also very picky, even though I try not to be. I'be tried other hobbies, social events, etc...but I usually find that even though I'm trying to have fun, I'm quite miserable. I'm not the social type. Any ideas at all that aren't the usual: exercise, hike, draw, etc, etc....just no.
Comments33
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I would recommend indulging in the fabulous entertainment that the internet has to offer. Internet is such a beautiful world, full of kawaii and kakkoii and neko and game/movie reviews. People trying hard to give joy and happiness to one another via these things... it's so sweet.

Well, that's what I enjoy, anyway.

This is a theory: "Anyone can enjoy anything in a right company, and anyone and enjoy any company with right activity." Just replace the anything with almost anything.
As for things themselves, I guess you really can't know before you've tried things. I mean, there's no way you could. And most of the time, anything new feels annoying for a long period of time in the beginning, before it either becomes enjoyable and fun or... doesn't.
You could try the unthinkable: make a habit of reading books.
lol I do have a kindle...and I do have lots of books...the problem is, finding time, and the concentration to read them...Most of them are reptile care books, which i usually quickly skim to look at all the pictures :p
you could try to learn something new, like a foreign language. I was told that it is possible to learn that on the internet, for free even!
I know I know, you said your computer broke, but maybe it's an idea for later.

Or you could start learning to do tricks with something like juggling or with a yo-yo. I just learned how to use a belgeri. There are great videos online and you only need two beads and a piece of string. It is fun and keeps me from chewing on my fingernails.
I started with giant soap bubbles this summer, the ingredients for the bubble solution are cheap and you only need two sticks and some string to make huge bubbles.  
Knitting and crocheting are great too! You can get yarn for cheap at thrift stores. You can give away the things you make for charity and it will make you happy (and others too). or sell them and earn money for more yarn :-)
Are you good with children? I did tutoring for school kids for a while. It earned me some money but for me it was more like a hobby because I loved it so much.
What about an instrument? You don't need to take expensive lessons for flute or guitar. You can learn it from books, and maybe you have a friend who plays and can help you get started?
I hated taking spanish in highschool, so a language is out lol.

I just pinned a recipe for no pop bubbles to make for my nephew..

I used to crochet, I would have to find or borrow some money to get some hooks and yarn...I gave away what I had a few years ago. I saw some cute tortoise sweaters and stuffed animals I'd like to make...

I like kids, I actually signed up for the Big Brothers Big Sister program in my area, but I'm on a waiting list because they only match the same gender, and there's tons of Big Sisters already...I'm not exactly the best at tutoring.

I used to play guitar, but after 2 years of lessons, I still wasn't very good, so I sold them all :/
I was going to say volunteering, but someone already did... How about reading? Libraries are free. And there's a genre out there for everyone.
I've had pretty fcuking bad deoression and anxiety for a while now to th point I can't function,and I found that growing plants helped a lot.
Right now I'm learning to propagate succulents. Doesn't cost a thing, especially if you have a yard you can plot them in when they get roots.
:D
I'm planning on doing that in the spring...It's fall now in PA...no planting -.-

I have two herbivorous and omnivorous reptiles and am hopefully planning on building outdoor enclosures and planting all their favorite greens and flowers in them.
Knitting and crocheting are very inexpensive, and if you have anxiety it helps to have something to do with your hands.

Drawing or painting is also fairly cheap as long as you don't get super fancy supplies. Writing is good too.
If you start photography, use a digital camera. In the long run it is way cheaper then buying film and printing your pics.
I do have a digital camera? Hence needing a computer to upload photos....I got the brand wrong, I apologize, its a FinePix...super old lol fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net…
How about local reptile and/or aquarium clubs?  Sounds like you live in a fairly rural area, but you never know.
I tried to start a herp society a few months back...problem is, nobody else wanted any responsability to help me....AND it was a bunch of old guys -.- which was extremely uncomfortable for 20 year old me :/
Did you try to use a local pet store?
I work at the local pet store lol
Then they should be eager to get something started.  It'll only bring in customers more often.
First off, fishing only three times in a year? I call shenanigans.
I was living over 300 miles from my Dad for like 5 years and still
managed to go fishing with him more then that each year.
Regardless of schedules 3 times in 52 weeks is not acceptable.

Pets cost money and you're already on a low wage long hours lifestyle.
No more pets. Save that money.

All your hobbies require constant cash infusions. Drop them all.
You need money to advance your position.

You can spend 20 bucks on clay that doesn't dry and sculpt horses
all the time. After a couple years with dedication to the craft you
might find yourself in a position where you could start sculpting more
permanent items and make money on sales.

You can have 2 horses, a dirtbike, a quad, a bass boat, and 4 dogs
all at the same time.
Just not now. You need short and long term goals.

The short term should involve saving every penny possible and
one way or another getting better employment.
Spending money to gain better employment options is do-able
but all other spending needs to be reigned in.

Long term goals should trump short term and immediate
entertainment and gratification. It sucks, but if you want it all
you have to work towards it.

Not to mention I like hunting too...but can't afford my licenses and gear this year :(
I like hunting. I have to pay out the ass for an out of State license.
It's like getting a rectal exam by a pirate doctor with two hook hands.
I went a lot more last year, we were always out fishing, but we're both so overwhelmed and unmotivated. I'd like to go everyday if i could, i wish we had a pond or river in the backyard, that would suffice...but we don't :/ I'd be tempted to go alone, but I refuse to. It's not the animals, it's the people I'm weery of. Plus if anything were to happen, say, a surprise rattlesnake bite? Yea, i'd be done for....

As far as pets costing money, I work at a pet store! My manager usually hooks me up with freebies from taking in special needs animals and rehabilitating them.

I have clay. I just don't have the motivation to do anything with it -.- I'm not exactly the sculpty type.

It's just frustrating because I've been working like this since I was 16, I have always had at least 2 jobs at a time...I went to a tech school and got my business degree while working 2 jobs, and I've been looking for a decent job for over a year...The position I'm hoping to get is a shift manager position for a store, for the company I'm currently an underpaid office mule for...No matter how much work I put in, I'm not getting anywhere. Saved up just enough money to get new tires for inspection...Had to spend most of it lastnight on new radiator hoses (which I replaced myself)...ugh -.- I need SOMETHING to keep my mind off how sucky my life is...
I started working around that time too.
I graduated HS with shoe boxes full of cash and moved out.

I did the two job thing but still played in indoor soccer leagues
and had a girl (she worked in an ER and had crazy hours). It's time
management. Leave motivation out of it
because that's not governed by availability. But you're
apparently more rural so travel times become an issue.

At the most basic level it's not "do you wanna go?"
it's "Monday, 5pm. Be ready."

In Philly there are always free art galleries and viewings.
Or events somewhere.
So you just jump into whatever is available at the time
you two are going to be together. No thinking about it.

Or you can be like en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Da…
and secretly write a 30,000 page epic.
You could always try art journaling. It's like the normal talking about your day while incorporating drawings, paintings, colorful pages, quotes, and a lot of other things. It might seem like a usual thing, but not a lot of people do it.
mypinkyfinger.blogspot.com/201…
It's fairly cheap. All you need is a blank journal, art supplies, and things to stick in it. Or if you prefer a page with words already on it, you could do an altered book. It's a bit on the artsy side, depending on how you want to work with your book.
www.pinterest.com/skrush/alter…
You'll need a book that had its pages sown, rather than glued, in, glue (sticks the pages together to make them thicker), and gesso, which is optional if you don't want to see the words under your work.
Randomly saw this browsing the forums...we are both Amandas so I feel the need to post something (hopefully) helpful. o.o
If you have a library near you that might be your ways to upload photos using their computers. Also reading in general is a fun (and free) hobby with a library card (also free). :) If you happen to like reading but don't know what to look for that would interest you I would suggest going to the website Goodreads. 

I hope you can find something to help take your mind off stuff and also your reptiles look awesome! :D
I volunteer at the local aquarium. Event opportunities are cool. You might be able to do the same at a reptile house or zoo.

Will your changing positions soon help with the hours/wage?