I need some film/Tv suggestions to help get over my heart being destroyed

My boyfriend of almost 3 years parted ways with me recently. He was my first real and long term relationship, and the first person i fell in love with. I was a mess the first 3 weeks, but i found that keeping my mind occupied with netflix and the internets, i've been able to deal with the heartbreak easier.

I'd like some sweet film/tv suggestions.

my fave genres are sci fi,horror, fantasy, martial arts, detective, and comedy. I love animated films too, studio ghibli and pixar.
I've probably seen almost all the good films in these genres, but theres always the few that i've probably missed out on.

suggest away!!
thanks in advance ^^

ps. I also play a lot of steam. I'm down for cool game suggestions too!
Comments62
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Red vs. Blue.  Hilarious even if you aren't a Halo fan.  Feel free to skip the 1st season and move directly to the funnier 2nd one.
Spaced - hilarious and endearing comedy series from the creators of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (probably my favourite sit com)
Game of Thrones - need I say more.
Breaking Bad - amazing drama, one of if not the best I've seen. So gripping and beautifully shot too.
Peep Show - Funny British sit com from Mitchell and Webb where every shot is a POV style
Firefly - Joss Whedon's amazing Sci-fi Western.
The Walking Dead - 1st season is the best, but keep watching to see what happens
Tim and Eric's Awesome Show, Great Job! - Amazing alternative comedy style sketch show. Really weird but hilarious.
Check it Out with Dr. Steve Brule - A spin off show from Tim and Eric's Awesome Show.
The Office (UK) and Extras - Ricky Gervais's two classics.

Also if you like watching interesting YouTube movie, game and music shows and analyses online, check out Red Letter Media's Star Wars reviews and Half in the Bag, YourMovieSucksDOTorg for his YMS series and top 10 lists,Zero Punctuation for hilarious game reviews, On Cinema (from Tim and Eric), Between Two Ferns, CGP Grey for really interesting and relevant videos on the world and how things work, foleyd87 for really good movie analyses and reccomendations and MrBtongue for great video game analyses.

Hope you feel better and have fun with the hundreds of hours of content! :P
Watch some stupid comedy, american pie for example ;))
Van Helsing, The Lost Boys, LOTR, The Hobbit, any ghibli film, Coraline/Tim Burton. The Matrix, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Dragonheart is really cheesy but good
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations guys! i haven't replied to everyones post yet, cause i'm watching all your suggestions. Dont want to lose the comment when i reply. ^^
When my Fiance broke up with me about 6 months ago the first time i laughed was when watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Silicon Valley the first i could actually shut off my mind for a while and enjoy something. 

As for Steam, i found playing Team Fortress 2 kind of Enjoyable :) 

As for Science fiction, i can't not recommend Farscape. god damn i love that show. 
brooklyn nine nine is hilarious!! i'm glad you're doing better and laughing again. That's the first thing i turned to when things got sour, Comedies!. I've added farscape to the list, my friends have been recommending that show to me for years. tyty ^^
Just FYI, I'm a HUGE Sci-fi geek and i put Farscape as my Number 1 Sci-fi Show of all time :) watched it 4 times.
hope you enjoy it too :)
noted. I'll keep that in mind. do you happen to dig Babylon 5, Firefly, Next Gen, and Battlestar Galactica as well?
Of course :) Firefly would come 3rd on my list just behind Stargate, i don't know if there is a Sci-fi show i Haven't seen, someone mentioned Red Dwarf, that's quite good also. 

Babylon 5, Wow,  i haven't seen that since my Teens (i'm 27) i wonder if that show still holds up. 
most excellent, i now fully trust your judgement haha. Oh man stargate, i used to watch that after school. Babylon 5 is definitely one of my faves. I love the makeup, costumes, and all the different races introduced. But the cg was horrible lol. Also nice to see more than 1 female in a sci series. They're always so rare, especially in Next Gen, wtf.
Well, the Females, The Makeup and different Races are Amazing in Farscape :D 
Think i will give Babylon 5 a go after all these years. 

Recently got done watching Sliders also, love that show :)
Hm, when I get hurt and am depressed I rewatch all of my favorite movies. Dragonheart, Lord of the Rings, ect. As for shows, Adventure Time is great, Merlin is good, and Game of Thrones is fantastic. Though you've probably heard of or seen those.

Getting your heart broken is the worst thing ever. It took my the better part of a year to start feeling better after my first real girlfriend dumped me. But you will feel better. Takes time to heal, but it will eventually.
Final Fantasy can be a great escape, especially since there are so many games in the series. But that's only on consoles, save for 7 and 8.
As for TV shows, anything goes, recently I got a lot into Supernatural, Doctor Who and Falling Skies but I also found Sopranos to be fun to watch.
Sitcoms can also be great for surviving break ups. I just broke up recently and Big Bang Theory kept me going for a while.
I'm not sure if this would be quite your genre, but if you need something to occupy you... Sims never ends. 
Supernatural also won't end (no matter how much I want it to). 
i'd recommend pushing daisies but given how much romance is a part of the plot maybe not, so i'd try dead like me and /maybe/ wonderfalls.  
Dr. Who is awesome and there's a lot of it on Netflix!
If you like anime,
Un-Go
is a good choice. Not your standard thing, and very entertaining.
:/  I'm sorry to hear that.

Don't know if all of these are on Netflix, but here are some suggestions.  If you like anime you can watch a lot of it legally streaming on Crunchyroll these days.

Series:
Trigun
Princess Tutu
Baccano
Ouran High School Host Club
Read or Die the TV
Kino's Journey
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Nichijou
Bojack Horseman
Pushing Daisies

Movies:
Wolf Children
The Fall (2006 film directed by Tarsem)
Moon (2009 film)
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Mean Girls
Corpse Bride
Pan's Labyrinth
Metropolis (2001 animated film)

Hope there's some you haven't seen and might like!  Sorry its a bit all over the place.
ooo have you ever watched BBC's version of Sherlock?  thats the first mystery that comes to mind...
imo horror would keep my mind off of things the most, because i'm a scare-dy cat and those just suck me in so much and keep my heart pounding.  
If we both have a day off at the same time, let's shoot this week!
yes! that would be most excellent. I have a creepy white dress and long black hair and live by thee water >:)
Hot Fuzz, At World's End, and Shaun of the Dead. Hilarious movies! I hope you feel better soon. :hug: